Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by FangKC »

Neighborhood Deli and Liquor Store Opening This Summer in Crossroads
The East Crossroads will land another unique business in August when The Pairing Wine & Grocer, a combination wine bar, liquor store and specialty grocer, opens at 1615 Oak.
https://cityscenekc.com/neighborhood-de ... rossroads/

https://tinyurl.com/y6yrsrpn
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

kcjak wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:56 am
wahoowa wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:10 am
Critical_Mass wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:34 am Pirate's Bone plans to move into the space previously occupied by Brioche:
https://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/ ... 06b51.html
just noticed signage up for this at that spot for the first time this week, though that's not to say it hasn't been there for a while.

the owner has an indiegogo page set up that is at 3000/20000 goal: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/plan ... ate-s-bone#/
While I wish them well (and I will definitely check them out), I just don't have any confidence in the long-term viability of a business that needs crowdfunding to get going or remain in business. Hopefully this is just to give them a boost with moving to a new, larger location.
https://www.inkansascity.com/eat-drink ... ossroads/
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

YJ's is in limbo, its relocated to a superior location at 18th & Washington but currently not a restaurant.
A pair of artists are attempting to crowdfund 10K and re-invent the place.
Its an entangled situation I won't attempt to detangle. Here's a local news story, and the gofundme page can be googled if you're missing some of the best food in town.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/ar ... -snack-bar
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I know this conversation keeps getting trashed because of racists, so please just go somewhere else if you want to be that person because I really want an answer.

What's the general feeling in the crossroads? I'd really hate to see the event shut down early. I hope they don't change too much from the one event.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

9pm has always been the traditional end of gallery exhibits since First Friday started in 2001. If this is really still about art, then "nothing is changing" if the food trucks end at 9pm and you entertain yourself at one of the many bars, restaurants, breweries, distilleries, etc. that are open until midnight, 1:30, or (god forbid) 3am.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I have to say I *like* First Friday, but don't love it like I used to. Despite what many others think, I don't see this as a family-friendly event and am still surprised at the number of kids, YOUNG kids, infants and strollers around, even up to midnight or later. Why must this event be all things to all people? Put all of the people hawking crap on the sidewalks (most of which isn't art-related), the face-painting and other family friendly aspects in an area on the periphery. Do some kid-centric things to do tied in with Science City or something.

I don't mind families or kids going to experience art, exhibits, galleries or performances, but FF has become a big excuse to take kids down and just mill about on the streets and people have no clue what the original purpose was.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

FF hasn't exactly been about the galleries for many years methinks. It has transitioned into a monthly street party centered more around creativity in general than the galleries but to many it's just an un-themed street party. And it's inevitably susceptible to the same issues that Westport and Plaza have off and on and they weren't specifically impacted long term. Not sure if officially 'shutting down' the streets early would make any difference, it's a broader social issue that KC needs to address no matter what district is impacted at times.

BTW, Dave I'm thinking FF started in the late 90s with Leedy Gallery stretch crawls around 20th/Baltimore though maybe not called FF yet.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:14 pm 9pm has always been the traditional end of gallery exhibits since First Friday started in 2001. If this is really still about art, then "nothing is changing" if the food trucks end at 9pm and you entertain yourself at one of the many bars, restaurants, breweries, distilleries, etc. that are open until midnight, 1:30, or (god forbid) 3am.
Totally agree. It would still be cool to have two longer/later street parties- one at the beginning of the spring season and one at the end of the fall season.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This is maybe an unpopular opinion but even as an experienced FF goer I find it very hard to find out what galleries are doing what..
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The gallery count is shrinking now too, being dispersed about. The days of 60+ galleries in one district are probably over. Xroads is now more of a creativity district than a gallery district. The street parties will continue though even if no longer about the galleries. Overcome by doubling down rather than giving in. Maybe theme the next one as "The Inclusion Festival" - something along those lines.

We'll be going to the next one to support FF. Would encourage others to as well. We can't let these random episodes take away our culture.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:43 am This is maybe an unpopular opinion but even as an experienced FF goer I find it very hard to find out what galleries are doing what..
Agreed. It's effectively a block party, and I like it.

I understand the neighborhood concerns. But I just don't like this idea that I think we're heading to in this city where you shouldn't be outside after 9 unless you're in a bar.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:52 am The gallery count is shrinking now too, being dispersed about.
According to whom? How are you defining a gallery?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:48 am
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:43 am This is maybe an unpopular opinion but even as an experienced FF goer I find it very hard to find out what galleries are doing what..
Agreed. It's effectively a block party, and I like it.

I understand the neighborhood concerns. But I just don't like this idea that I think we're heading to in this city where you shouldn't be outside after 9 unless you're in a bar.
Well it basically has to be that. The focus on telling people where galleries are and what they feature is non existent.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:10 am
earthling wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:52 am The gallery count is shrinking now too, being dispersed about.
According to whom? How are you defining a gallery?
According to the list tracked by Xroads. It used to be 60+ about 10 years ago (I've posted that here probably 10 years ago). And the definition they use for gallery now isn't very strict, including restaurant/biz space (under 40). In the strictest sense of term, there are now only 14 left. Am a little surprised you haven't realized it has been shrinking given the rising rents.

https://kccrossroads.org/explore/arts/

And is known some artists moved into W Bottoms to even KCK and Troost. It's not a bad thing. Xroads has been transitioning from a 'gallery district' to a 'creative district' for a while now and is lately more often referred to as a creative district than an art district.

FF used to be specifically about gallery crawls, in the past 10 years it has turned into a creativity street party... and that's OK. More KCPD foot patrol might be a good idea at this point, especially along 18th.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I get my showing info from each gallery's Instagram or Facebook page. That seems like the easiest and most-updated way to find out about shows and seeing what is coming. Does the pitch still have a monthly guide to the galleries?

I also feel like the amount of traditional galleries and the amount of retail spaces being used for a pop-up gallery has been shrinking over the years. Losing the businesses in the Monogram Building (except for Birdies!) has changed the way that area of the Crossroads feels a lot. The building across from Grinders also used to have a lot of late-night shows that all seem to be gone now. The art gallery walk is not dead, but it does feel more like a random street party down there now. I still love to go!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:25 am https://kccrossroads.org/explore/arts/
Those are just CCA members that self-identify as galleries. There is no comprehensive list, which is why I'm so baffled that people think they have an accurate count or that it has substantially changed. There are NEW galleries that didn't exist 10 years ago (Vulpes Bastille, Imagine That, Jones) and more non-gallery spaces offer exhibits (and if legit artists are exhibiting and/or selling to the public who the fuck cares?).
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:13 pm
earthling wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:25 am https://kccrossroads.org/explore/arts/
Those are just CCA members that self-identify as galleries. There is no comprehensive list, which is why I'm so baffled that people think they have an accurate count or that it has substantially changed. There are NEW galleries that didn't exist 10 years ago (Vulpes Bastille, Imagine That, Jones) and more non-gallery spaces offer exhibits (and if legit artists are exhibiting and/or selling to the public who the fuck cares?).
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Maybe the tension is more is this still an art gallery night or has it transformed into something more that we should just enjoy?

How many people go to the plaza art fair just to walk around, have drinks, listen to music, and eat food?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:13 pm
Yeah I get it. Point being rents have been rising and the traditional art-specific gallery space is shrinking in exchange for other biz displaying artists. The list never was complete and there were far more than listed back then too that were either popup or biz space supported. Overall it's less about full-fledged galleries now (even less % wise) and there's a general change in dynamics from the 'arts district' to 'creative district'. It's been the natural transition everywhere as rents rise. I didn't say it was a bad thing, just that it's changing. Especially the reason people go to FF, which is more about the street party now than gallery crawls.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:47 pm Maybe the tension is more is this still an art gallery night or has it transformed into something more that we should just enjoy?

How many people go to the plaza art fair just to walk around, have drinks, listen to music, and eat food?

When people ask me a resource to guide them where to go for galleries I'm at a loss. I usually just tell them go wander around and follow crowds.

Seems the galleries should get together and work on some communication if we want this to be focused on them. I'd love that. Now it's just a big food truck party with bunch of people setting up tables in parking lots and on sidewalks trying to hawk whatever they can.