2019 Mayor/Council Elections

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by earthling »

johnmatrix wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:06 pm
Free busing would take away from street car ridership.
Unlikely because A) most of the downtown things to do are along the streetcar line, B) free bus would bring more people downtown w/out a car, most likely to hit places along streetcar line and C) there are factions of people who have no issue riding rail but dislike buses for whatever reason. Is more likely streetcar usage would rise even further. And developers prefer the permanency of rail, the streetcar line more likely to attract TOD type development as it expands.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

johnmatrix wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:40 am
chaglang wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 pm Since everyone since the founding of the city has run on the platform of reducing crime, what can Lucas do to reduce crime that hasn’t been done already? Personally, I’d love to see KCPD come under local control and have to combine duplicate services with the city in order to be better stewards of the taxpayers money. But I suspect that that won’t do anything to the crime rate.

Edit: Bunch as T&I Vice Chair is a coup. What’s everyone’s read on the new PZ+E? Seems like is could be a mess, or it could be a development rubber stamp.
We need a fully staffed police force. We were supposed to have around 1,500 about 50 years ago and never reached that. It is interesting however in 2013 & 2014 we were close and crime was down. Aside from police we need some economic free zones in parts of East & South KC. Encourage growth and jobs you will see a slide in violence.

Probably not popular on here but free busing is a good first move by Lucas.
Myself and some others were bullshitting about free busing on this board while Quinton was still at fucking Barstow.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

johnmatrix wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:06 pm
Free busing would take away from street car ridership.

Even if true no one here would care.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Exactly. For multiple reasons.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I would be happy with the bus taking streetcar riders. It would just mean space on the trains so more people can ride.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

chingon wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:25 pm Myself and some others were bullshitting about free busing on this board while Quinton was still at fucking Barstow.
Yep, and I’m pretty sure someone is going to start a thread soon to talk about what ailments we have now or to complain about whippersnappers. :)
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:03 pm
chingon wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:25 pm Myself and some others were bullshitting about free busing on this board while Quinton was still at fucking Barstow.
Yep, and I’m pretty sure someone is going to start a thread soon to talk about what ailments we have now or to complain about whippersnappers. :)
If someone is going to start down a path of having a lack of understanding that their own mortality doesn't give them the right to place the same unreasonable expectation on today's youth as their parents did, make sure you find a type of music, dance, clothing and haircut to complain about.

We'll setup a special membership get together for this group at a car show dedicated to 1950s muscle cars in Overland Park, you can reminisce about your parent's homes and high school on the east side that you haven't visited in decades because it's not safe to go there any more.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Even if free bus rides had an impact on free streetcar ridership -- which I don't think would happen -- there is no financial impact of that because the streetcar doesn't charge a fare. Streetcar operations are 100% funded by the TDD assessments and sales tax. Almost all of the TDD surplus is from greater-than-anticipated sales tax revenue.

If it did happen, you could only call it a correlation because it's nearly impossible to prove causation with transit ridership under you do a statistically valid survey (and even then you're relying on self-reporting for why people stopped riding the streetcar and started riding the bus instead).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

flyingember wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:49 pm I would be happy with the bus taking streetcar riders. It would just mean space on the trains so more people can ride.
This would be especially true on Saturdays and Sundays when the streetcars are often full and the buses are less so.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Am hoping KC strongly pursues a 2-3 year trial for free to ride buses. If it doesn't have the impact expected, then go back to fares. But needs to be more than a year to allow impact to spin up. I think KC would be largest US city to have free city-wide buses.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:38 am Am hoping KC strongly pursues a 2-3 year trial for free to ride buses. If it doesn't have the impact expected, then go back to fares. But needs to be more than a year to allow impact to spin up. I think KC would be largest US city to have free city-wide buses.
Working on it! Please continue sharing your thoughts! The decision makers are listening.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

There's a thread on this forum somewhere talking about making all busses free that I'm pretty sure I started, long before the mayor got in on the party.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

There's not a dedicated thread so I just created one...
http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20 ... 06#p596006
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Competing threads!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Oops, sorry. I did a search and saw it discussed in general threads but didn't see the dedicated one. Dave can merge these unless he wants to start fresh.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

No big deal. There's some interesting stuff in there about the finances and taxes of making it reality though.