OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

I feel like parC is going to be a better implementation of a similar space.

I agree I like how it is quiet but it's always so dead there has to be something amiss with the design
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I dunno either. I think it should have been designed with more window service places. Like walk up, grab a slice of pizza, grab a coffee, grab a beer, and just chill outside. Some dude playing music on the side for tips.

Kind of like a downtown living room for residents and workers that visitors have no need for. Maybe downtown just doesn't have the population to support that yet.

As it is, none of the business really feed into it. Chipotle does their own outdoor stuff when the weather is nice, I'm sure Insomnia Cookies is lovely but it's not my scene, and I've never been into Whopper Bar. I'm struggling to remember the other places.

Still, it's one of the few places you can chill outside with trees and flowers and no one will bother you.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

It would help if The Mixx would stay open past lunch and on weekends. They dominate the frontage and who even eats at BK Bar, bro?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A couple walk up places would be great there.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:40 am It would help if The Mixx would stay open past lunch and on weekends. They dominate the frontage and who even eats at BK Bar, bro?
Patiently waiting for Whooper Bars lease to expire! Trash.

It’s unfortunate there’s not a bar concept within the space who could take ownership of it. Would help logically.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:52 am A couple walk up places would be great there.
I have always thought it would work best as like an outdoor fast casual food hall. Like a salad place, a Mexican place, a middle Eastern place, and pizza place, and a communal bar that has beer and wine. And then communal seating outside.

Kind of like a food court for hrblock and strata and surrounding places. And then at night transition to a take away and happy hour place that you meet your friends after work and bring food home.

Like a neighborhood KC live toned down
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, a fresh wraps counter window would be nice from The Mixx, and add other street friendly walking food items that are quicker at the window than at regular counter. Would be nice if BK went away with a new place that understands street eats with also has a counter window facing PNC Plaza. With the bar already there you'd have a mini outdoor foodie hall if pulled off correctly - and can operate seasonally.

I like PNC Plaza for what it is. The view of arena through Live is nice, as well as the modern buildings with H&R building view. I've seen these in modernized parts of Euro cities, a bit off the street like this. And may have plaza facing counter eats or above avg street vendors.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:40 am It would help if The Mixx would stay open past lunch and on weekends. They dominate the frontage and who even eats at BK Bar, bro?
It is crazy that with all the growth downtown Mixx still closes at 2pm, has no weekend hours. Meanwhile Chipotle kills it until 10pm.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

smh wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:50 am
It is crazy that with all the growth downtown Mixx still closes at 2pm, has no weekend hours. Meanwhile Chipotle kills it until 10pm.
Chipotle does insane business. Who ever that franchise owner is, he's killing it!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Makes you wonder why more chain fast food doesn't notice.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

A Panera would kill in DT. (And, yes, I know Crown Center is technically DT, smarty)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There was one planned for 909 tower when it was being renovated but never materialized
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:49 am A Panera would kill in DT. (And, yes, I know Crown Center is technically DT, smarty)

How about Jimmy Johns? I hear the one on Broadway has a drive thru
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:35 am Makes you wonder why more chain fast food doesn't notice.
I've been told by leasing in the past that most fast food chains won't even consider anything if a "drive-thru" isn't an option.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:35 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:35 am Makes you wonder why more chain fast food doesn't notice.
I've been told by leasing in the past that most fast food chains won't even consider anything if a "drive-thru" isn't an option.
That's a bunch of crap though. NYC, Chicago, Vegas and other high pedestrian areas are full of fast food options and never seen a drive-thru. They will consider it if they find it a profitable area with enough foot traffic.

As for the PNC space, Chipotle and Insomnia need to go elsewhere and be replaced with restaurant/bar type tenants with sidewalk seating that extends into the public space. Hang Edison bulbs across the public space to add some ambiance, get nightly (or at least every weekend and during events) small music acts that don't blare music really loud and it could be a cool space.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think the point isn't that they can't be profitable but that the franchise owners here typically don't have the competence to do urban locations.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I know the person who owns the franchise over downtown KC believes this.

It makes sense when they look at their typical Midwestern store and see how much money the drive thru brings in. I mean it's ignorant but I can see how purely looking at their numbers how it happens.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

flyingember wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:59 pmHow about Jimmy Johns? I hear the one on Broadway has a drive thru
Unfortunately, yes
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The line at Pigwich today seemed over 50 long through lunch hours. Maybe I'm overstating but they could probably pull off another downtown (smaller) location and the spot between BK and Chipotle might work. Or the BK spot. Too close?

That BK seems to do pretty weak business and most generic chains are just not a good fit (Chipotle apparently an exception, maybe Panera too). Just saw that BK is planning to release Impossible Whopper everywhere next week. Don't know if downtowners will go for it but if so we might see BK stay a little longer.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCLover wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:45 pm
That's a bunch of crap though. NYC, Chicago, Vegas and other high pedestrian areas are full of fast food options and never seen a drive-thru. They will consider it if they find it a profitable area with enough foot traffic.

As for the PNC space, Chipotle and Insomnia need to go elsewhere and be replaced with restaurant/bar type tenants with sidewalk seating that extends into the public space. Hang Edison bulbs across the public space to add some ambiance, get nightly (or at least every weekend and during events) small music acts that don't blare music really loud and it could be a cool space.
NYC, Chicago and Vegas aren't really comparable though? Like mentioned, local franchise owners don't have the imagination to get away from the typical midwestern model that does a huge chunk of business from drive-thru sales.

I personally spoke to one of the biggest local McDonalds owners and told him he would crush it in that location, but same deal. He said MCD corporate would never approve a KC location without the drive-thru.

But seriously, anything but Whopper Bar. Done correctly, could be a really great spot for the right concept.