Liberty Memorial Musuem and Penn Valley Park

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Liberty Memorial Musuem and Penn Valley Park

Post by normalthings »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:39 am
KCKev2 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:58 pm Replacement trees were planted along the mall this spring. They have next to no root structure, and, as a result, blow out of the ground on windy days. They have been staked and still blow over. A good number are already dead.

I don't understand why the Memorial is not better maintained. Is money the issue? I recently took out-of-town visitors to the Museum and was surprised that admission was $18 a person. I don't know the annual attendance, but, on the Saturday we went, there were easily several hundred people there. And what are the expenses besides heating/cooling and maintenance. Aren't most of the exhibit items donated and most of the staff volunteers?

If money is the issue, I'm sure all they need to do is ask. The Memorial and Museum draw visitors from around the world and seem to be the kind of people who would donate to a restoration fund if only asked.
The museum has struggled with funding for most of its existence. This may be changing as attendance and overall interest has risen sharply in the past few years.

The 2018 annual reports notes the following: 650k guests in 2018, Tickets account for 25% of the museum’s revenues, 60% of revenue from philanthropy. No financial specific reports are available. 2018 was truly a banner year for the museum. Attendance was up over 30% YOY vs 2017 and the museum was able to attract big outside donors as part of the Centennial Celebration. Over the past 4 years, attendance has increased over 180%. The museums net asset value doubled between 2014-2017 as well.

https://www.theworldwar.org/financials
Roughly $1.5 million was spent on “Buildings, Grounds, and Guest Experience” in 2017
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I put this scheme together for the north lawn. It calls for the leveling of the segment of hill immediately north of the existing staircase down to the same elevation as the top of the Dedication Wall (the general's faces). At the bottom of this cut would be a long reflecting pool. The grand stair at the end would rise from the bottom of the trench, past the ground and up to connect with the existing stair. Between the two would be a large landing, roughly where they fire cannons during memorial day. The existing fountains would have thin streams built in front of them, which would cascade down the edge of the stairs and run along the length of the base of the trench's walls. The walls would be made of a material similar to that of the water feature on the south side of the complex.

Water represented with dark blue

The rest of the hill would retain roughly the same elevations, however it would be landscaped with terraces similar to those found on the south side, as shown below.

The dedication wall would be excavated and situated to align with the main axis and some of the original paths would be modified or removed. Most old trees would hopefully be preserved.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

For two years they have not even had the original north side fountains nor the new south entrance water features functioning. I would not want to see a huge empty litter filled basin on the north. I have never been fond of the trench entrance to the new museum. I thought they should hollow out the original west building to make an atrium entrance to the new museum below.
Fountains are so costly to maintain in KC extreme winter climate. They only operate 7 months a year(even the Northland fountain is turned of when it freezes solid) and the empty basins with the exposed pipes, lighting and wiring are unattractive.
Of course with climate change predicted by some to give KC a north Texas climate in 50 years, maybe they could be kept on year round then.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Obviously this would be carried out in a scenario where the WWI museum has more than their current shoestring budget. Perhaps the parks dept takes it over or something. I’m assuming that, if they could carry out this plan, then they would also be able to afford maintenance, litter pickup, ect
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:04 am I put this scheme together for the north lawn. It calls for the leveling of the segment of hill immediately north of the existing staircase down to the same elevation as the top of the Dedication Wall (the general's faces). At the bottom of this cut would be a long reflecting pool. The grand stair at the end would rise from the bottom of the trench, past the ground and up to connect with the existing stair. Between the two would be a large landing, roughly where they fire cannons during memorial day. The existing fountains would have thin streams built in front of them, which would cascade down the edge of the stairs and run along the length of the base of the trench's walls. The walls would be made of a material similar to that of the water feature on the south side of the complex.

Water represented with dark blue

The rest of the hill would retain roughly the same elevations, however it would be landscaped with terraces similar to those found on the south side, as shown below.

The dedication wall would be excavated and situated to align with the main axis and some of the original paths would be modified or removed. Most old trees would hopefully be preserved.
As the Riverfront fills in, the North Lawn is becoming downtown’s new outdoor event center(C@S, Draft, World Cup, etc). Any improvements to the North Lawn should be done in a way as to not impact these large events.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

normalthings wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:20 pmAs the Riverfront fills in, the North Lawn is becoming downtown’s new outdoor event center(C@S, Draft, World Cup, etc). Any improvements to the North Lawn should be done in a way as to not impact these large events.
That's what I imagine the terraced portions on either side of the trench would be for
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I like everything but the trench.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

If rather see an addition to the museum built into the hill on the north side.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:09 pm If rather see an addition to the museum built into the hill on the north side.
I've always imagined museum additions going south along the mall, like in the original plan, shown below. They could all be connected underground but appear as separate structures from above ground, similar to the Bloch building. It would also keep it all at the same elevation, whereas anything in the north lawn would sit far below the current museum complex.

Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

What if they built an underground addition to the current museum and added a giant window in to look out over the skyline. Might get them some more visitors too
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Riverite wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:49 pm What if they built an underground addition to the current museum and added a giant window in to look out over the skyline. Might get them some more visitors too
Wouldn't it make more sense to built new structures instead of trying to engineer another floor below the current? How would that even work? Where would the big window go? Why should there be window when the rest of the memorial's observation areas provide better views?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:59 pm
Riverite wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:49 pm What if they built an underground addition to the current museum and added a giant window in to look out over the skyline. Might get them some more visitors too
Wouldn't it make more sense to built new structures instead of trying to engineer another floor below the current? How would that even work? Where would the big window go? Why should there be window when the rest of the memorial's observation areas provide better views?
Riverite’s comment comes from the same place that your proposal (and my own) come from: imagination
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

normalthings wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:02 amRiverite’s comment comes from the same place that your proposal (and my own) come from: imagination
True, but you can excavate unbuilt on land fairly simply, which is what my proposal calls for. Excavating below the existing museum complex though? You'd have to dismantle the whole thing and start over. We're talking all new foundations, elevators, systems, ect. And for what? Underground facilities could be expanded to the south far more easily than straight down
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I’m not really an architectural person, the point was to make something unique and provide a view that would generate more revenue for the museum. Definitely not a serious suggestion
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:10 am True, but you can excavate unbuilt on land fairly simply, which is what my proposal calls for. Excavating below the existing museum complex though? You'd have to dismantle the whole thing and start over. We're talking all new foundations, elevators, systems, ect. And for what? Underground facilities could be expanded to the south far more easily than straight down
Any addition would require new foundations. Building to the north would require removal and reconfiguration of the stairs, but they are already in bad shape. That would be where the addition would be. My thought is that moving construction to the north better connects with US. Just a thought.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:44 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:09 pm If rather see an addition to the museum built into the hill on the north side.
I've always imagined museum additions going south along the mall, like in the original plan, shown below. ...

It's too bad that the Truman Library wasn't build on the right side in that building's footprint shown above. It would have made sense to have the Truman Library next to the WWI Museum, since Truman served in WWI.

Then maybe something like the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art could have been built on the footprint on the left.

Having the WWI Museum, Truman LIbrary, and Kemper there along with Union Station would have been an epicenter for visitors.

I wish the Nelson-Atkins had gone there too. Originally, the Nelson estate was going to build one art museum. The Mary McAfee Atkins estate was going to build a separate museum in Penn Valley Park. Later, they decided to merge the two plans into what became the Nelson-Atkins.

Then put the National Toys & Miniatures Museum along the mall too. The Ewing and Muriel Kauffman Memorial Garden could be included there, and a landscaped rose garden.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

A museum of some sort(natural history?) built on the east side of the south mall could be low slung, and have most of its space below grade. It would be expensive, but the limestone could be cut out down to Main St level so that there is an actual building and entrance on Main.
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

Hi,

My 17 year old son is a huge history nut. His junior year in high school last year he did 2 semesters of AP History and he'll do 2 more his senior year. Anyway, he and I have talked about going to KC to the Liberty Memorial for a weekend or a couple of days during the week this fall. When I showed him the web site he was all about it.

So my questions are:
Nearby hotels? Best suggestions?

Restaurants nearby, the Plaza, Crown Center, downtown?

Since he's 17 I don't think we'll hit any bars but maybe KCLive? It will be a quick trip & most of the time we'll be at the museum, but when it closes for the day how about some tips? As I say we're probably going to come in in Sept or Oct.

By the way, he's on the Autism Spectrum. He has Asperger's Syndrome, high functioning, so he can deal with most issues that life throws at him. He doesn't do particularly great with noise but can deal. He's been to Tigers games (yeah, I know, Why?), Lions games (same), and recently a Lansing Lugnut game.

We've been to KC numerous times but it's been a few years. I was just wondering about food & other sightseeing options nearby.

Thanks

P.S. Recently Spirit has been having $25 each way $9 fare club tickets between Detroit & KC. A warning. If you come it expecting to pay a lot for Tigers tickets, you'll be disappointed. Stubhub has them cheap & if you wait til Sept they might pay you to go to a game. Just saying.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Maybe instead of power and light (KC live), hit something more historical for food if he's really into history?

I'm struggling to think of things for that age range, but brown and loe is in an old bank. Union station obviously.

A bit depends on your budget and tastes. I'm thinking the same with hotels. A few that you could give him a book to read up on before you come.

Might get more of an experience out of it that way. Smarter people than me will be along to recommend stuff.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

You should come, it’s a great museum! The Westin Crown Center is across the street from the museum, so you could walk. It’s a nice hotel for families and has an indoor/outdoor pool. I believe it’s recently been updated. You’d also be across from Union Station and the streetcar stop that can take you to DT attractions, Crossroads for restaurants and the River Market. Know that the streetcar can be crowded at times. I have a brother with Aspergers and it might cause him some stress. During the day it’s full but not crowded. I’m sure others will make other suggestions for food or things to see. If he’s into history, you might check out the Truman library in Independence though it’s being renovated now so check if it’s back open when you’re traveling.