Bird Scooters Have Landed

Transportation topics in KC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by earthling »

gfenn11 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:23 am The Drop scooters are live.

Drop looks to be placing downtown only to start, not surprising given only 40 for now. Would hope they focus on placing at transit stops throughout service area and complement Bird/Spin. That is target so you have a better chance to get one at a bus stop and then use whatever available to get back to bus stop. And direct Chargers to not place where there are already Spin/Birds to help fill in gaps, especially transit stops.

Only 15 cents/minute. Spin/Bird are 33 cents.

Membership gives 20 minutes of 4 ebike rides and 10 minutes of scooter rides per day. The $15 day pass allows unlimited Drop ebike/scooter rides.

BTW, the color of Drop ebikes are too similar to Bcycle. Maybe make them Royal blue?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:28 am So ride KC scoots are out?
Yes!

As a reminder, the RideKC scooters and bikes have to be locked to something to end your trip (bike rack, street signs, utility poles, etc.), which is different than Spin and Bird. The integrated cable lock is very easy to use.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Have seen stands with scooter bikes pop up around town recently. Does anyone know more about these?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:15 pm Have seen stands with scooter bikes pop up around town recently. Does anyone know more about these?
There are two: 13th & Grand and 19th & Baltimore. They're a KCMO pilot.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:18 pm
normalthings wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:15 pm Have seen stands with scooter bikes pop up around town recently. Does anyone know more about these?
There are two: 13th & Grand and 19th & Baltimore. They're a KCMO pilot.
This was near the Plaza. There was a small docking station of maybe 5 devices that a gentleman was renting out at night. By the time I walked back, everything including the docks were gone. IIRC Price was $1 to start, $.55 per minute.

If this was a KCMO Pilot, they really did not do a good job of making that clear. The gentleman didn’t appear to have a uniform or badge, devices had no branding, and there was no mention of KCMO when discussing a rental.

Almost looked like a nicer version of this...
https://www.amazon.com/VIRO-Rides-Trans ... 1063&psc=1
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:43 pm This was near the Plaza. There was a small docking station of maybe 5 devices that a gentleman was renting out at night. By the time I walked back, everything including the docks were gone. IIRC Price was $1 to start, $.55 per minute.

If this was a KCMO Pilot, they really did not do a good job of making that clear. The gentleman didn’t appear to have a uniform or badge, devices had no branding, and there was no mention of KCMO when discussing a rental.

Almost looked like a nicer version of this...
https://www.amazon.com/VIRO-Rides-Trans ... 1063&psc=1
Sounds pretty fly-by-night. You didn't see if the devices had branding?
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

So I tried to use the RideKC Drop Scooters and apparently Drop is based out of Canada, which is where you send the payment. I found this out when I tried to add my (debit) card to the app and my bank sent me a fraud alert since it detected a "foreign purchase."

Therefore, (because of my bank's particular policies) it appears I won't be able to use the new Drop Mobility scooters/ebikes. Has anyone else had similar issues?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

JLowe2018 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:14 pm So I tried to use the RideKC Drop Scooters and apparently Drop is based out of Canada, which is where you send the payment. I found this out when I tried to add my (debit) card to the app and my bank sent me a fraud alert since it detected a "foreign purchase."

Therefore, (because of my bank's particular policies) it appears I won't be able to use the new Drop Mobility scooters/ebikes. Has anyone else had similar issues?
Surely you can call your bank and request that such a transaction be allowed? At least that's how it's worked for me when I buy stuff online internationally or actually travel to Canada.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:44 pm
JLowe2018 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:14 pm So I tried to use the RideKC Drop Scooters and apparently Drop is based out of Canada, which is where you send the payment. I found this out when I tried to add my (debit) card to the app and my bank sent me a fraud alert since it detected a "foreign purchase."

Surely you can call your bank and request that such a transaction be allowed? At least that's how it's worked for me when I buy stuff online internationally or actually travel to Canada.
You are correct...however, when I called them about it yesterday, they said they only unlock foreign purchases (to/from all countries) on a by-the-day basis. I took this to mean that each and everyday I would want to use the app that I would need to call first to unlock my card globally.*

*As I typed this though, I realized I could do this only every time I need to "pre-load" my account. I guess I'm just worried the fact of using a foreign service provider (or least their foreign payment address) could be too much of an inconvenience/deterrent to first-time riders.

(I know it's a pilot-program so I'm just sharing feedback because I want it to be successful!)
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I didn't have this issue but agree, this isn't good. Most wont bother and move on to Bird/Spin.

However Drop is 15 cents/min vs 33 cents/min for Bird/Spin so worth the effort in the meantime. Drop needs to get a US-based bank authentication. RideKC needs to be informed of this issue and pursue a solution with Drop.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:02 pm I didn't have this issue but agree, this isn't good. Most wont bother and move on to Bird/Spin.

However Drop is 15 cents/min vs 33 cents/min for Bird/Spin so worth the effort in the meantime. Drop needs to get a US-based bank authentication. RideKC needs to be informed of this issue and pursue a solution with Drop.
Now informed. First I had heard of it.

I should add that they've now launched in a second US city -- Colorado Springs. We were their first (and first e-bike and first scooter launches).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The payment processor (Stripe) is US-based. Regardless, it shouldn't happen again if you call your bank and have Drop Mobility white-listed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've had a fraud alert trigger but only if I check out multiple bikes at one time under my account.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:48 pm I've had a fraud alert trigger but only if I check out multiple bikes at one time under my account.
This seems like a good thing.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCK addressed scooter regulations this evening: https://wycokck.civicclerk.com/web/User ... &aoid=1589
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:35 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:48 pm I've had a fraud alert trigger but only if I check out multiple bikes at one time under my account.
This seems like a good thing.
meh either way. Seems the drop app / authorization process could be a little less obtrusive to credit card authorizations but it doesn't bother me.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I wonder if the fact that Drop scooters have lock cables are confusing people, like they shouldn't rent that one seemingly in use. The local regulars will probably get to know Drop but the occasional scooter users might be confused. If they only knew Drop is 15 cents/min instead of 33 like the others, which should maybe be a big sticker on the standing part to advertise.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Drop isn't the only platform that has a "lock-to" requirement if you're worried about out-of-towners. Uber's Jump bikes require a U-lock looking thing (oddly, their scooters do not). Scoot requires their scooters be locked with a similar cable lock now that they had record theft and vandalism in SF.

I doubt you'll see the pricing on the devices (other than the "unlock" price) since usage pricing is always subject to change and everyone knows you need to download an app that will tell you the price anyway.

Regardless, Bird and Spin have more devices out on the streets now (and Bird has a year on any competition) so they're both bound to provide more trips. Drop provided 197 scooter trips on the first weekend with 40 devices and no advertising or marketing (compared to 241 B-cycle trips in the same period for a system that's been visible on the street since 2012).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Interesting to see the ridership stats. But Drop probably could get higher ridership with a temporary sticker that says 15/cents minute then rip off if the rates change. At least it should draw attention the first month or so.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Now that we've had three providers for a bit, what's everyone's take on the three different devices/apps?