American Century Championship - Golf

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

American Century Championship - Golf

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I know this is just a sponsorship deal but I never understood why this local company hosts a nationally televised celebrity golf tournament where money is donated to a local KC based company (Stowers) but the event is held in Lake Tahoe. As the main sponsor you would think they would have some pull and want to host it in KC. Just seems like this would be a perfect event to showcase a local golf course and showcase our city similar to what Big Slick has done. Our weather/beauty isn't Lake Tahoe but i've always thought it was odd considering they have local KC Sports Talk Radio guys go out to this tournament to interview some of the celebs in the tournament.

Most of these golf tourneys that have a semi big sponsor will be played in the location where the Sponsor is based (Waste Management -Phoenix, John Deere -Moline, 3M-Twin Cities, St Jude-Memphis, etc) unless the event has some huge sponsor like Honda or Toyota.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: American Century Championship - Golf

Post by WSPanic »

The tourney is a made for TV celebrity/sports event - it was started by the network w/out a sponsor with Jordan and Elway. They'd rather kick American Century to the curb than move the tourney to KC.

I'd love to have a tourney here, but the Tourney in Tahoe is an institution to itself really. It's not a PGA tourney.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Gotcha, after reading more about it they say its like the "super bowl" of celebrity sports events. I don't really know much about the event. Just seemed odd that the sponsor and official charity of the event were both KC companies
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Trump and Stormy had a good time out there.