Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Post by mistervinix »

As of February 1st they were blaming the weather, yes, but also on lack of personnel:

https://www.missioncap.com/news/mission ... struction/
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

With a decade to plan, you would think they would have staffing figured out...
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

flyingember wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:43 pm With a decade to plan, you would think they would have staffing figured out...
Agreed. Another debacle in the making?
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

Drove by Friday and it sure looks abandoned. Must be infuriating to the local residents.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Looks like they got intermediate financing approved....

http://www.metrowiremedia.com/news/miss ... -financing
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Still getting a big box place but haven't annouced it yet.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:16 pm Still getting a big box place but haven't annouced it yet.
Very chicken and egg

Do we need the announcement to know it's coming or is it possible to know one is coming before it's announced?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Not Wal-mart.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Surprise, Surprise (not)

Cinergy Cinemas & Entertainment announces plans to open at Mission Gateway - Cinergy says its Mission Gateway location will open to the public in 2020.

https://shawneemissionpost.com/2019/04/ ... eway-78442

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Yes looks good'
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Grading for the Cinergy pad was completed over a week ago. Fences were adjusted, grass was mowed, and not much else since then.
City Council Member for Ward 4 in Mission, KS
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

bchociej wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:14 am Grading for the Cinergy pad was completed over a week ago. Fences were adjusted, grass was mowed, and not much else since then.
And if I am not mistaken, the construction trailers have all been removed.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Yep, the official line was that Cinergy wanted their building done ASAP, and all the trailers and stuff were sitting on the Cinergy pad. So, out it all went. Now I assume they are trying to mobilize the contractors back to the site since it is graded and ready to go. I get the impression the contractors are, uh, less than eager to get going after they had to file liens last fall.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

bchociej wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:18 pm Yep, the official line was that Cinergy wanted their building done ASAP, and all the trailers and stuff were sitting on the Cinergy pad. So, out it all went. Now I assume they are trying to mobilize the contractors back to the site since it is graded and ready to go. I get the impression the contractors are, uh, less than eager to get going after they had to file liens last fall.
This has to be one of the biggest boondoggles in years around here. To have the apartment construction started and then halted so suddenly last winter - what a joke. When (if?) that part of the project starts up again, I wonder if there will be deterioration that will force them to start over.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

At a council or committee meeting I went to, one city official said they are not concerned about weather affecting the concrete or rebar, but they will want engineering to show that the piers have not moved out of position before they can continue.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Mayor Appletoft kindly replied to me by email tonight. Currently the project is awaiting plan review from JoCo Wastewater with respect to the changes stemming from Cinergy joining the project.. Until that is done, Mission cannot issue further building permits. Staff estimated on 6/5 that the wastewater review would be done by 6/24, but the mayor informs me they are still waiting on wastewater at this time.
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

The parcel across the Roe/Johnson Dr intersection to the northeast has been sold by Roeland Park for development as a new doctors building. The Sunflower Medical Group, currently in Mission just northwest of Johnson Dr and Nall, will be moving over there into a 30,000sf facility. A Nextdoor commenter working for the medical group said they expect to occupy the space in 18 months.

https://shawneemissionpost.com/2019/07/ ... ding-80695
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Some minor forward momentum today (well, yesterday as it's past midnight). City website blurb updated, emphasis mine. No activity at the site that I noticed today.
Gateway (Roe and Johnson Drive) -

Construction of the apartments over first floor retail was started last fall. In mid-December, Cinergy Entertainment Group, Inc. announced that they would be joining the project with plans to open in 2020. The 90,000-square-foot facility will include an elevated rope course with zip lines, a “game floor” with 100 interactive games, virtual reality attractions and 16 bowling lanes, in addition to a high-end movie theater. As a result of the Cinergy timeline, which also drove the need to move construction of the three story parking structure forward in the project phasing, the developer had to secure additional financing for the project. Work was halted in December and in March the developer closed on a private financing package that construction to continue in essentially one continuous phase. Construction activity has been slow to resume, primarily because the developer was waiting for a permit from Johnson County Wastewater to begin work on the Cinergy pad site. That approval has been given, and the City issued a building permit for Cinergy the first week of July. In late June, plans for the Marriott Element hotel, located at the Shawnee Mission Parkway/Roeland Drive corner of the site, were submitted and are being reviewed. Plans for the parking garage are also anticipated in the next few weeks. An architect is currently being selected to design the 40,000-square-foot food hall run by celebrity chef Tom Colicchio. Work to secure a tenant for the office building is on-going. The developer is working with staff and the Council to revise the current construction milestones included in the Redevelopment Agreement approved in December 2017.

The developer has engaged Colliers to assist with leasing. View the Colliers project materials here.

The project will include:

168 apartments over retail (along Roe and Johnson Drive)
100,000+ sq.ft. of retail/entertainment space
40,000 sq.ft. food hall currated by Tom Colicchio
200 room Element hotel
https://www.missionks.org/pview.aspx?catid=657&id=33552
bchociej
Ambassador

Post by bchociej »

Oh, and I heard somewhere -- wish I could remember where -- that Neighbors Construction will not be rejoining the project after having to place a lien on the property last fall. Fogel Anderson will build the retail + residential on their own.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

^confirmed.