Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Transportation topics in KC
langosta
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 am

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by langosta »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:07 pm
The downtown TDD and expansion TDD both approved resolutions this week that support the above ordinance. This sets the stage for federal funding (which requires that all legislative approves be in place before funds can be awarded).

Now it's up to the Council...
Is the ordinance being introduced because we think federal funding is near?

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 17839
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:07 pm
The downtown TDD and expansion TDD both approved resolutions this week that support the above ordinance. This sets the stage for federal funding (which requires that all legislative approves be in place before funds can be awarded).

Now it's up to the Council...
Is the ordinance being introduced because we think federal funding is near?
Yes.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Ambassador
Posts: 29848
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by KCPowercat »

Exciting gif

langosta
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 am

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by langosta »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:17 pm
langosta wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:07 pm
The downtown TDD and expansion TDD both approved resolutions this week that support the above ordinance. This sets the stage for federal funding (which requires that all legislative approves be in place before funds can be awarded).

Now it's up to the Council...
Is the ordinance being introduced because we think federal funding is near?
Yes.
Great to hear! The next round of FTA announcements is next year right?

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 17839
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:27 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:17 pm
langosta wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 pm


Is the ordinance being introduced because we think federal funding is near?
Yes.
Great to hear! The next round of FTA announcements is next year right?
2021 is still the target date, but they recently funded a project as soon as it entered engineering (which is unusual).

johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by johnmatrix »

Will it be done by the time the NFL draft is held here in 2023?

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 8095
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by flyingember »

johnmatrix wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:52 am
Will it be done by the time the NFL draft is held here in 2023?
The starter line opened 3.5 years after being fully funded, and that was super fast as far as major projects go.

So if 2021 is the target for funding, late 2024 would be the earliest, possibly into 2025.

nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 4:22 pm

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

I'll be dead before it opens........lol

User avatar
normalthings
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2426
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by normalthings »

Council Recommendation: Do Pass

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 17839
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:46 am
Council Recommendation: Do Pass
Three committee members were absent for the vote: Fowler, Shields, and Lucas.

User avatar
normalthings
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2426
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by normalthings »

@davekcmo The Draft GDAP notes Riverfront, UMKC, and North KC as planned streetcar expansions (no Independence Ave. or 31st). However, I had thought that NKC was off the table as much as Inde &31st are. Have things changed or is this just an oversight?

langosta
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 am

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by langosta »

normalthings wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:22 am
@davekcmo The Draft GDAP notes Riverfront, UMKC, and North KC as planned streetcar expansions (no Independence Ave. or 31st). However, I had thought that NKC was off the table as much as Inde &31st are. Have things changed or is this just an oversight?
This was one of the images in the new Greater Downtown Area Plan. Dotted in yellow are the 3 streetcar extensions you mentioned.
Image

IMHO. Independence Ave should be built after we remove the Northloop or at least until we bring Highway 9 down to grade. Linwood/31st and Inde appear to be going towards BRT already anyways. Maybe that’s why NKC is included and not them.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 8095
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by flyingember »

Here's N. Oak BRT

https://www.kcata.org/transit-initiatives/north_oak

To save people time, here's the GDAP

http://kcmo.gov/planning/greater-downto ... plan-2018/
doc page 79, file page 40 has the map

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5719
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by earthling »

Would like to see that line turn into a true express line through city core with one stop each in RM, 12/Main, CC, Westport and Plaza.

User avatar
normalthings
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2426
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:18 pm
Here's N. Oak BRT

https://www.kcata.org/transit-initiatives/north_oak

To save people time, here's the GDAP

http://kcmo.gov/planning/greater-downto ... plan-2018/
doc page 79, file page 40 has the map
Ah, so its not really on the table.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 17839
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:37 pm
normalthings wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:46 am
Council Recommendation: Do Pass
Three committee members were absent for the vote: Fowler, Shields, and Lucas.
The streetcar financing ordinance is on this afternoon's council agenda: http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Meeti ... wIfd9ibUHj

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 17839
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:40 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:37 pm
normalthings wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:46 am
Council Recommendation: Do Pass
Three committee members were absent for the vote: Fowler, Shields, and Lucas.
The streetcar financing ordinance is on this afternoon's council agenda: http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/liveweb/Meeti ... wIfd9ibUHj
Full council passed. Hall and Loar voted no. Lucas not present. All others voted yes.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4939
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:57 pm
Full council passed. Hall and Loar voted no. Lucas not present. All others voted yes.
Does this mean construction can start before approval of federal funds?

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 17839
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:18 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:57 pm
Full council passed. Hall and Loar voted no. Lucas not present. All others voted yes.
Does this mean construction can start before approval of federal funds?
Nope. It just says to the feds "all local approvals are in place" while we wait for them to award the grant (which is anticipated for 2021). Some long-lead items may be ordered if local bonds are issued, such as vehicles, rail, and subsystems.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4939
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:21 pm
beautyfromashes wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:18 pm
Does this mean construction can start before approval of federal funds?
Nope. It just says to the feds "all local approvals are in place" while we wait for them to award the grant (which is anticipated for 2021). Some long-lead items may be ordered if local bonds are issued, such as vehicles, rail, and subsystems.
I’ve been noticing what seems to be crews taking core samples on Main in Midtown. Related to planning for streetcar or some other non related project?

Post Reply