Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by brewcrew1000 »

People will just complain about parking and traffic. I actually find it easier to park and exit out of a Cardinals or Twins game than it is at a Royals game. In St Louis, you can park easily over by 14th and Clarke and the Freeway ramp is right there. There are also lots of spots south of the stadium by the White Castle
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:43 am People will just complain about parking and traffic. I actually find it easier to park and exit out of a Cardinals or Twins game than it is at a Royals game. In St Louis, you can park easily over by 14th and Clarke and the Freeway ramp is right there. There are also lots of spots south of the stadium by the White Castle
The fat people don't realize they will likely walk just as far as they do at the sports complex. I mean really towards the back of the lot is what almost a mile to the stadium give or take. Hopefully it will be built near the street car line and you can park just about anywhere in the city.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

People blame the distance because it's embarrassing to admit they suffer from fear and loathing without the certainty of a parking lot.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

grovester wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:23 pm People blame the distance because it's embarrassing to admit they suffer from fear and loathing without the certainty of a parking lot.
It's true, and it's also reinforced by the revenue the team gets. So tailgating and "easy access" are hyped, but it's not like anyone is pulling up and parking right next to the K.

I'm getting repetitive in this thread, but it's because it's so hard. I think there is a really cool neighborhood to be built, but I have absolute zero faith in the Glass family or the city to not just pave over a handful of city blocks and call it a downtown stadium.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

johnmatrix wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:04 pm The fat people don't realize they will likely walk just as far as they do at the sports complex. I mean really towards the back of the lot is what almost a mile to the stadium give or take. Hopefully it will be built near the street car line and you can park just about anywhere in the city.
For the absolutely busiest baseball game, the farthest parking is 0.65 miles away. The realistic farthest distance is closer to 0.35 miles, most games don't need that much parking.

The closest streetcar stop from the main Bartle Hall entrance is roughly 0.3 miles.

So utilizing parking a similar distance away is very reasonable. I do like the idea of bundling a train line expansion down Indep Ave into a new stadium in Paseo West and using the thousands of existing spots downtown. $100 million to take it partway down the corridor is nothing in terms of a stadium project.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:43 am People will just complain about parking and traffic. I actually find it easier to park and exit out of a Cardinals or Twins game than it is at a Royals game. In St Louis, you can park easily over by 14th and Clarke and the Freeway ramp is right there. There are also lots of spots south of the stadium by the White Castle
uh, yeah, i remember the first time i left (maybe i was entering, it's been while) TSC i couldn't believe the jam-up. that's about as bad as it got after the blues parade...we have to remember that (particularity midwestern) downtowns were (overall for the worse) re-engineered around mid-century to handle a massive ingress/egress of automobiles everyday. a small stadium is nothing compared to what these systems were designed to handle.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

warwickland wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:40 am
uh, yeah, i remember the first time i left (maybe i was entering, it's been while) TSC i couldn't believe the jam-up. that's about as bad as it got after the blues parade...we have to remember that (particularity midwestern) downtowns were (overall for the worse) re-engineered around mid-century to handle a massive ingress/egress of automobiles everyday. a small stadium is nothing compared to what these systems were designed to handle.
It's not designed very well to leave.

People arrive over about an hour, everyone wants to leave within 15 minutes. Downtown it's closer to an hour in the evening.

Downtown KC was designed with about a dozen ways in and out. The stadiums have three.

Downtown sends people to street lights, every stadium exit comes out to where cross traffic doesn't stop and it's mixed with pedestrians exiting and there's *one* crosswalk the entire way around the property.

The stadium should be able to handle the traffic but there's no traffic management in place.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Baseball's future: Declining attendance – and shrinking stadiums to match

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 941614001/
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

FangKC wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:04 pm Baseball's future: Declining attendance – and shrinking stadiums to match

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 941614001/
I remember listening to Soren Petro talking about how MLS stadiums will end up being bigger or about the same as MLB stadiums in the next generation and I think he might be right

People have been predicting the death of baseball since 1866
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/05/baseba ... -150-years
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This thread is about to get way more interesting if the sale happens.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Anyone know much about the guy?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Big sports fan, life long KC guy, inergy is where the made his cash. I know someone who is lifelong friends with him but don't know much about him.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just got confirmation that he would be a very interested in a downtown park.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

oh no
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:36 pm oh no
Speak for yo self
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

If do move Orlando? OKC?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

get out of here with that talk!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

How about putting a new stadium on the KCATA property along E. 18th street?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Critical_Mass wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:30 pm get out of here with that talk!
In the other Royals thread, he said Springfield or Tulsa - so at least Orlando and OKC have Major League franchises. It's a marked improvement.

Seriously though - no reason to think a move is coming.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Even less than ever I'd this works out.