Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by flyingember »

johnmatrix wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:18 am Downtown is a hassle. I can walk somewhere quicker than waiting for the toy train to get me there.
This has come up before and is provably false with a few exceptions
My experience is the train is 3-4x quicker 95% of the time except for 2-3 block distances. Waiting 10 minutes vs a 5 minute walk makes little sense.

The streetcar is dramatically quicker at all times except rush hour, during a major event or at peak city market time. Crazy city market traffic absolutely changes the equation.

The train moves so fast that one time on a Sunday I hopped on the train at 19th, rode it NB to 16th, got off and walked to 12th via Baltimore (6 blocks) and got on and rode back to 19th. The train made it from 16th, all the way to the city market and back and I got on the same train again.

I one time got off one train at 12th, the next was behind us pulling into 7th. I made it to 11th when it passed me. It did 4 blocks to my 1 block.

If it sits at every single light for 30 seconds (it never does) that's a total travel time of the 2.2 miles of 6 minutes. Add 30 seconds per stop and that's 12 minutes total travel time.
Average fit walking speed is about 3mph. If you hit every crosswalk as go (you won't) you will take about 40 minutes to walk the streetcar line.

And that's if you're fit. Someone who's carrying groceries, walking with a small child or other impact to mobility could take an hour. Especially going NB up the crossroads hill.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

smh wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:20 am
johnmatrix wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:41 am
mgsports wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:16 am Corbin Park Protein House.
I think that location closed. I live on the Plaza so all we have is the bland T.Loft
Bro do you even True Food Kitchen
never been. Any good?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

No it's coming soon to Corbin Park at 135th street and Metcalf Ave.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

flyingember wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:22 pm
johnmatrix wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:18 am Downtown is a hassle. I can walk somewhere quicker than waiting for the toy train to get me there.
This has come up before and is provably false with a few exceptions
My experience is the train is 3-4x quicker 95% of the time except for 2-3 block distances. Waiting 10 minutes vs a 5 minute walk makes little sense.

The streetcar is dramatically quicker at all times except rush hour, during a major event or at peak city market time. Crazy city market traffic absolutely changes the equation.

The train moves so fast that one time on a Sunday I hopped on the train at 19th, rode it NB to 16th, got off and walked to 12th via Baltimore (6 blocks) and got on and rode back to 19th. The train made it from 16th, all the way to the city market and back and I got on the same train again.

I one time got off one train at 12th, the next was behind us pulling into 7th. I made it to 11th when it passed me. It did 4 blocks to my 1 block.

If it sits at every single light for 30 seconds (it never does) that's a total travel time of the 2.2 miles of 6 minutes. Add 30 seconds per stop and that's 12 minutes total travel time.
Average fit walking speed is about 3mph. If you hit every crosswalk as go (you won't) you will take about 40 minutes to walk the streetcar line.

And that's if you're fit. Someone who's carrying groceries, walking with a small child or other impact to mobility could take an hour. Especially going NB up the crossroads hill.
I actually put this to the test last time I was in KC. My wife got on the train in downtown (like 12th) and I walked to Union Station. I actually left her at the stop, there was no train there yet, and started walking at a pretty brisk pace. She won. Easily. It was winter but had it been summer, I was walking fast enough to sweat profusely which is another reason I'm glad the train is there.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

johnmatrix wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 4:42 pm
smh wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:20 am
johnmatrix wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:41 am

I think that location closed. I live on the Plaza so all we have is the bland T.Loft
Bro do you even True Food Kitchen
never been. Any good?
Likewise haven't been, but it sounds good.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

Sooo I tried True Food Kitchen. Damn what a gem.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

johnmatrix wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:19 am Sooo I tried True Food Kitchen. Damn what a gem.
I need to check it out. I have been to I believe the original one in Phoenix and I loved it
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

FangKC wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:07 pm Chicago Developer Proposes $90 Million Kimpton Hotel Project at 45th and Main

The following is on the City Council agenda for today:
Approving an Industrial Development Plan for Trillium Industrial No. 1, LLC, for the purpose of the acquisition, installation and construction of a 275-room Kimpton branded hotel, located at 1 East 45th Street, Kansas City, Missouri; authorizing and approving various agreements for the purpose of setting forth covenants, agreements and obligations of the City and Trillium Industrial No. 1, LLC; authorizing the issuance of taxable industrial revenue bonds in a maximum aggregate principal amount not to exceed $55,000,000.00; authorizing and approving certain other documents; and authorizing certain other actions in connection with the issuance of said bonds.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

A little disappointing to see the blank wall along sidewalk from a Chicago developer. Will matter more when streetcar stop right at the corner.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Regarding the blank wall, not sure how much they can do with the existing Holiday Inn and parking structure. Happy to see the Kimpton flag on Plaza and like that they're building a tower addition, but would have preferred the existing structure torn down and site rebuilt a la the prior office plan.

Would be a nice site for a signature office building - great views at the top of the hill and wouldn't have to be very tall to have a major presence just off Plaza.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

So what is this now some of kind competition between Downtown and The Plaza? Seriously Downtown should be getting priority The Plaza does NOT need more development. Polishing up and refining yes but more of this kind of thing? Think about it.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Steve52 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:54 am So what is this now some of kind competition between Downtown and The Plaza? Seriously Downtown should be getting priority The Plaza does NOT need more development. Polishing up and refining yes but more of this kind of thing? Think about it.
It's a remodel of an existing property, isn't it?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Steve52 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:54 am So what is this now some of kind competition between Downtown and The Plaza? Seriously Downtown should be getting priority The Plaza does NOT need more development. Polishing up and refining yes but more of this kind of thing? Think about it.
Wait, what? I can't even tell what's parody around here anymore.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

WSPanic wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:10 pm
So your saying there are to many hotels downtown or something? You do realize it's a ten minute drive from downtown to The Plaz' right? Or maybe a little more if your using Public Transportation? Does the Plaza really need another hotel? Or is that all the developer has to offer?
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

No the plaza doesnt need anything new. It will attract more people if we allow it to decay.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

Nah we dont need to do any improvements to the Plaza we should just turn that Holiday Inn into another 816 Hotel it's a crown jewel of Westport.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Steve52 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:31 pm
WSPanic wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:10 pm
So your saying there are to many hotels downtown or something? You do realize it's a ten minute drive from downtown to The Plaz' right? Or maybe a little more if your using Public Transportation? Does the Plaza really need another hotel? Or is that all the developer has to offer?
Did I say there are "to" many hotels downtown?

I was just surprised that anyone would want to limit development in the city just because it doesn't happen to be taking place downtown. This is an existing hotel that is becoming a MUCH better hotel. We're getting a friggin' Kimpton and I'm stoked. It will be a great addition to the city despite the fact it isn't within the 50 square block area you seem to think should be exclusively developed at the expense of every other neighborhood in the city.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Kimpton is a great addition to the city because they are one of the few hotel brands that openly welcome pets for free
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:08 pm Kimpton is a great addition to the city because they are one of the few hotel brands that openly welcome pets for free
I did not know that. That's a huge deal. It's going to draw a lot of people to the plaza.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

johnmatrix wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:54 pm No the plaza doesnt need anything new. It will attract more people if we allow it to decay.
Haha oh Johnny what are we going to do with Johnny. You'll be hobbling on a cane before you know it and still griping about "decay".