2019 Mayor/Council Elections

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: 2019 Mayor/Council Elections

Post by langosta »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:35 am So, is the general rag consensus that we are on the verge of slipping back into a more negative, anti-development cycle under Lucas and co.?
Yes

It's already been a slow year for new development announcements and the vibe I'm getting from news about town reminds me just a bit of the dark days of Funkhouser. Someone tell me I'm reading too much into the rhetoric...
We had a few big development announcements at the end of last year and a few big announcements in the last 2 months (NFL Draft and USDA). We saw a rush to announce projects before campaigning heated up and then 6-7 months of developers waiting for election results.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kcjak wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:56 am I have doubts that Lucas will be able to deliver on reducing crime and turning around the East Side when those efforts have never gone very far before, but I'll get behind him! I don't see Lucas as anti-development, but more development aimed at the right areas (i.e. East Side). He came to speak at the company I work for when the airport vote was coming up and Justus couldn't make it. He was very charismatic, but seemed like his ego was always present - will be interesting to see how he does once he gets in office and the special interests all come at him.
Hoping for the best!
IMHO. Some of the groups that endorsed him are very much against development and/or the investments needed to revitalize the east side.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm interested to see if there is any shift after the election. Every mayor wants a signature achievement and I can't figure out what his will be.

It'll be interesting to watch.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Add to all of this the fact that we're likely headed into a recession soon. Lots of variables about to hit KCMO.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn- ... 46128.html

Very well done piece on Freedom’s role in the Brandon Ellington mailer. Henneberger is probably the lone bright light at the Star, on either side of the editorial wall.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

smh wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:49 pm Add to all of this the fact that we're likely headed into a recession soon. Lots of variables about to hit KCMO.
The construction economy is markedly slower than 12 months ago.

Add to the list of variables the fact that the property tax assessments hit hardest in the areas of the city that traditionally support tax increases for parks, the zoo, etc.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:19 am
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:03 pm And that shields will be chair of pze . Ugghhh
Based on how she ran her re-election campaign, I'm going to say she'll chair T&I instead. Loar will chair the airport committee, which is horrifying.
I bet the airport committee is disbanded
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:35 am So, is the general rag consensus that we are on the verge of slipping back into a more negative, anti-development cycle under Lucas and co.?

It's already been a slow year for new development announcements and the vibe I'm getting from news about town reminds me just a bit of the dark days of Funkhouser. Someone tell me I'm reading too much into the rhetoric...
No.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chaglang wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:42 pm Henneberger is probably the lone bright light at the Star, on either side of the editorial wall.
Disagree. Henneberger sucks shit. She's like an old white lady Jenee.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chaglang wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:42 pm https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn- ... 46128.html

Very well done piece on Freedom’s role in the Brandon Ellington mailer. Henneberger is probably the lone bright light at the Star, on either side of the editorial wall.
Blind squirrels and nuts.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

chingon wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:52 am
chaglang wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:42 pm Henneberger is probably the lone bright light at the Star, on either side of the editorial wall.
So noted.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chaglang wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 am
chingon wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:52 am
So noted.
Too late to delete I guess.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Per Twitter - Loar and Lucas have been visiting the project up at KCI. Sounds like there may be something behind the rumors that she’s the next Airport Committee lead.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:20 pm Per Twitter - Loar and Lucas have been visiting the project up at KCI. Sounds like there may be something behind the rumors that she’s the next Airport Committee lead.
Or that a separate airport committee is no more and that she'll lead a new T&I (which already had aviation).
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:20 pm Per Twitter - Loar and Lucas have been visiting the project up at KCI. Sounds like there may be something behind the rumors that she’s the next Airport Committee lead.
I think Fowler was with them also...so maybe he just went with the people whose district it is?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kboish wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:27 am
I think Fowler was with them also...so maybe he just went with the people whose district it is?
One post said the brand new northland rep went also, so that makes sense
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Airport committee should go away if you ask me.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:01 pm Airport committee should go away if you ask me.
That was the concensus on Kansas City Week in Review yesterday. Many committee consolidations.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The Standing Committees of the Council shall be:

(a) Finance, Governance, and Public Safety

(b) Transportation, Infrastructure, and Operations Committee

(c) Neighborhood, Planning, and Development
http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... hJDkVivsW5
KCPowercat
Ambassador