Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Re: Hotel Bravo- 17th and Wyandotte

Post by TrolliKC »

kenrbnj wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:38 am

Disclosure: I would love to see a top-tier hotel serve the convention center. There needs to be a hint of a concession by the developers, however.
Yes I wish they would have handled this a little more deftly. Maybe they will in the compromise with the council
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

kcjak wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:22 pmThe entity that runs/manages Crown Center was interested in reducing costs and by getting both properties under a single company (Marriott/Starwood), they could streamline business expenses like food management, marketing of meeting space and make renovations cheaper and more efficient.

Hyatt had plans to build on the Plaza around the same time they lost the Crown Center property, either north of the Sheraton Suites or 46th Terr/Pennsylvania, but the proposal was determined to be too large and required too many incentives.
While this is no doubt part of the truth, I believe it is also true that Hyatt had been in negotiations with CCRC for quite a while regarding the inevitable renovations, and it eventually became clear that CCRC was not going to renovate to the standards Hyatt expected. I was not privy to the actual negotiations, but I heard through the grapevine that Hyatt was looking for something like $20 million and CCRC was looking for more like $10 million, which is a lot closer to what they ended up putting into it to meet Sheraton's approval.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://press.fourseasons.com/stlouis/hotel-facts/

The Four Season STL is a good comparison project. Similar sizes, offerings, and price points albeit in a softer market.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

The KC Star published a great op-ed by the developer. He laid out the facts: big increases to taxing jurisdictions, high paying jobs, ability to attract conventions/events, no city risk. It is kind of sad that the KC Star’s own journalists were not capable of producing as high quality of work.

In other news... Hyatt was confirmed as the operator. My guess is that the property will be a Park Hyatt. Andaz and “The Ultimate Collection” also somewhat fit the Hotel Bravo description. However, IMHO the interior renderings and higher end FFE are more fitting of a Park Hyatt.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/read ... 3224.html
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I would vote this through. They're going to have to come back with something though because it's election season.

Start thinking of what they can offer to seem like a compromise because everyone will be against it as is.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:07 am I would vote this through. They're going to have to come back with something though because it's election season.

Start thinking of what they can offer to seem like a compromise because everyone will be against it as is.
Good thing the TIF Commission put off a vote till after the election. ;-)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:59 am The KC Star published a great op-ed by the developer.
Perhaps if they felt a little less entitled to incentives and revised their messaging to be less tone-deaf, it wouldn't be as controversial.

I would vote it down just for the Super TIF request alone, assuming it passes AdvanceKC in any recognizable form.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

Compelling piece in the op-ed.

Hyatt is the named operator. That suggested the planning is deeper than a "conceptual plan."

References to "parking garages" and such are a thumb in the eye to Cordish: "See? We're asking for concessions; but not as profoundly as (sic) Two Light and Three Light." The power of the precedent.

Hey. Hopefully concessions will be made on both sides to make the project real.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think the idea has merit but this approach is poor
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

They might be over-asking on purpose with the intended goal of accepting a much smaller version of the list.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

I hope this goes through. The editorial provided a compelling argument and I hope they are able to work something out.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Does the award of the 2023 NFL Draft to Kansas City change your opinion of this project? Specifically the market for an Ultra Luxury Hotel in KC.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Not for Super TIF.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I can't think of one event that would.chsnge my opinion of any permanent projects.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Does anyone know if this project is still being discussed this week for TIF consideration?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

LCDSI wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 pm Does anyone know if this project is still being discussed this week for TIF consideration?
Public Hearing at 10am

Recommended Action: Approval of the plan and forwarding to City Council, Recommending Do Pass to the city council, etc

IMHO: They should not take Hotel Bravo up until after the election. The proposed use of TIF, Super TIF, and CID to cover more than 40% of the project cost will not look good to voters next week.
Last edited by normalthings on Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Wow.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

normalthings wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:51 pm
LCDSI wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 pm Does anyone know if this project is still being discussed this week for TIF consideration?
Public Hearing at 10am

Recommended Action: Approval of the plan and forwarding to City Council, Recommending Do Pass to the city council, etc

IMHO: They should not take Hotel Bravo up until after the election. The proposed use of TIF, Super TIF, and CID to cover more than 40% of the project cost will not look good to voters next week.
Collisson stated via the Twitters that this vote was delayed until July.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:42 am
normalthings wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:51 pm
Public Hearing at 10am

Collisson stated via the Twitters that this vote was delayed until July.
Meeting coming up on July 10th. Please correct me if I am wrong, but this project will not be ready for the City Council until after the new council comes in.
https://www.edckc.com/event/tif-commiss ... 019-07-10/
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Hotel Bravo: Before Photo