Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Troost developments

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:56 pm It looks like UCB has a tenant lined up for the Firehouse on Troost. I haven't heard who it is, but the change of zoning request has the potential to be a restaurant.
An application has been submitted for a special use permit for a tavern or nightclub.

I thought I saw something somewhere that made me think this building was going to be an event space. I don't know if event spaces fall in the same use category as tavern or nightclub.

If this will actually be a bar, I'm curious what the neighborhood reaction will be. I know many would welcome a neighborhood bar in that location, but there are also people in the neighborhood who get scared about any liquor license being granted on Troost.

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 01d9f44884
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Also, there is kind of an odd little project at 3801 Troost seeking variances to the Troost overlay. It is the conversion of a car wash into offices (appears it will be a chiropractor). The building has already had all the bays sealed up.

Definitely an improvement over the trash-filled car wash, but I would have rather seen it torn down and built fresh:

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... d11c3e24d1
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Someone could do very well starting a consulting business to help developers interact with neighborhoods without alienating them.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

3133-3145 Troost Avenue, the Historic Firestone Building at the Linwood intersection, is up for sale.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3133-31 ... /12351048/
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Man that is a gem waiting to be introduced to the world.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

La Quinta Hotel progress at 24th and Troost (looking northwest).

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The UCB event space at the old fire station and the two apartment buildings in the 4500 block have hit some more-vocal-than-rational opposition in South HP and may not happen. Bad news, because both have potential. I am genuinely curious how anyone will ever get a Troost project through Hyde Park.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

How does Hyde Park ever hope that Troost will recover as a viable artery street if they are unwilling to accept what I see as reasonable development?

The developers aren't proposing a 40-story low-income housing project, or homeless shelter. They also have removed a rather unsightly body shop and lots with old cars on them.
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

Like most situations, it sounds like there are a few loud and irrational types that have time on their hands that have chimed in. Most neighbors that I know are excited about this. Time to rise up and defeat the extreme NIMBY’s!
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I suspect (and this is true all over the city) that a lot of people don't actually want anything to change. They're fine with the used car lots and abandoned buildings. A new event space or an apartment building only have a negative potential because adjacent neighbors don't directly gain anything from them. You never have to worry about a vacant lot being noisy or not having enough parking.

My understanding is that both projects will be discussed at the next HPNA meeting.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

When people complain, explain it's the only way to fund city services because residents don't want to pay higher taxes.

If you do that, allowing new development is more palatable because it's not costing the current residents additional money.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That argument makes sense but I'm not sure how much weight it carries for an upper middle-to-middle class resident who may be able to comfortably adjust their monthly budget if taxes went up. And the potential gains in amenities within walking distance of their home isn't compelling because they've already internalized driving everywhere for basics.

I also suspect that many of these same people consider themselves urbanists and would support (or at least not oppose) these projects if they were on someone else's block.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The redevelopment plan for three buildings the east side of the 3100 block of Troost is on the PIEA agenda for today. Here is the proposal:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s3hx85dueh5e ... 20RFP?dl=0

Some interesting bits:
With redevelopment of Shankman, Michelson, and Tycor buildings serving as a catalyst, the development
team’s long-term goal is to develop ancillary parcels for which we have site control on Forest Street and
Linwood Blvd., to occur three phases. While our request for tax abatement made to Kansas City’s
Planned Industrial Expansion Authority relates only to the first phase rehabilitation of the Shankman,
Michelson, and Tycor buildings, we envision these properties as part of the leading edge for further
redevelopment that we believe will ultimately create $60 million in new construction, the home of many
businesses, and the creation of hundreds of part-time and full-time jobs
They also own 911 Linwood and the SW corner of Linwood and Forrest (I would guess they would want the SE corner of Linwood and Troost, currently owned by PIEA to go along with that, although UC-B was trying to get that parcel in the past).
Shankman Building

The property consists of 41,000 square feet, in a 3-story building with a basement. It will be redeveloped
into commercial office, restaurant and entertainment spaces:
• AltCap has committed to lease space in the building
• House to Home, a home design showroom and sales center has also committed to lease space
• Commercial office space
• Sports bar & casual dining
• Speakeasy, upscale dining
• Retail shops

Michelson Building

The property consists of 14,500 square feet, in a 2-story building with a basement. It will be redeveloped
for the following uses:
• First floor storefront spaces for retail/office activities
• Second floor office space

Tycor Building

The property consists of 22,000 square feet, and as noted above, has the Tycor Building has been
identified as the future home of the Midwest American Indian Museum (MAIM) of the Plains and
Woodland Tribes. Work on this project is being conducted by the Missouri Humanities and Arts Council.
The museum is seen as key anchor to preserve and share heritage of the indigenous tribes that were the
original inhabitants of the area.

Five individual first floor storefront retail spaces will allow various Native American tribes to sell
authentic goods and works from tribal artisans. The storefronts would take advantage of a covered
walkway/pass-through connecting the project’s off-street parking to the sidewalks on Troost to provide a
unique shopping experience.

Outdoor Restaurant and Event Venue

8,100 square feet of outdoor space is located behind and connected to the Shankman and Michelson
buildings. Use of this space is planned for the Barefoot Grill and Wine Bar, a casual dining and
entertainment venue.
Midtown Redevelopment Partners plans to commence construction of the Shankman, Michaelson, and
Tycor properties, along with the associated parking area and outdoor patio/entertainment area in summer
2019 and anticipates completion of construction by fall 2020.
While the above summary doesn't mention it at all, the plans show some residential in the Shankman building. Looks like 25 units.
KCKev2
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCKev2 »

chaglang wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:38 pm I suspect (and this is true all over the city) that a lot of people don't actually want anything to change. They're fine with the used car lots and abandoned buildings. A new event space or an apartment building only have a negative potential because adjacent neighbors don't directly gain anything from them. You never have to worry about a vacant lot being noisy or not having enough parking.
Perfect analysis of the vocal HP residents - they are happy with vacant lots and buildings because they pose no threats to their stodgy ways.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Ambitious Plan to Revive Historic Troost Business District Proposed
A stretch of buildings in the heart of the historic Troost commercial district would be transformed into offices, retail space and a museum under a plan being pursued by development group that includes civic leader E. Frank Ellis.

Ellis, past chairman and founder of Swope Community Enterprises, along with Tim Bowman of Compass Resources LLC and Florida businessman Ovidiu Pop-Buia, want to renovate the historic Shankman and Micheslon buildings at 3115-3131 Troost, and the Tycor building at 3105 Troost.
https://cityscenekc.com/ambitious-plan- ... -proposed/
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The following is on the agenda for the Industrial Development Authority's meeting tomorrow:
RESOLUTION OF THE INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY OF THE
CITY OF KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI APPROVING A PROJECT FOR 3930
TROOST LLC, A MISSOURI LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY, AND
DETERMINING THE INTENT OF THE INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT
AUTHORITY OF THE CITY OF KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI, TO ISSUE ITS
MULTIFAMILY HOUSING REVENUE BONDS IN ONE OR MORE SERIES IN AN
AGGREGATE PRINCIPAL AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED $5,000,000 TO FINANCE
THE COSTS OF SUCH PROJECT. (OGLESBY HOTEL APARTMENTS PROJECT)
I don't see any details of the project, but googling 3930 Troost LLC shows that they applied for MHDC Financing/Tax Credits for 25 affordable 1-bed apartments($500-$575). This is right next to Bishop Sullivan Center, so it might be a good guess that they are involved.

I really hope they tear down the addition in front of this building. I have always thought this is a great looking building, but it needs some love and is obscured by the addition. I hope they put some money into bringing the exterior back to it's former glory.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I don't know how they can get 25 one-bedroom apartments in that one building-unless some will be in the basement.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It’s been a while since I looked at the plans but I think the existing addition on the front is coming out. I remember there being a handicapped ramp with landscaping at the front. The building is a lot larger than it looks, and the apartments will be very small. I don’t remember there being a new addition planned as part of the project but I could be wrong.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

chaglang wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:01 pm That argument makes sense but I'm not sure how much weight it carries for an upper middle-to-middle class resident who may be able to comfortably adjust their monthly budget if taxes went up. And the potential gains in amenities within walking distance of their home isn't compelling because they've already internalized driving everywhere for basics.

I also suspect that many of these same people consider themselves urbanists and would support (or at least not oppose) these projects if they were on someone else's block.
Speaking of, I live in Manheim Park and this year's property tax assessment has has more than doubled, increasing about 144% over 2017's assessment. As Chaglang mentions, I'll adjust comfortably, but this will be a difficult thing for many long time residents that own their homes, or renters who will be transferred the increased cost. Some form of rent control or income based property tax caps would be welcome, City Hall!
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

voltopt wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:49 pm
chaglang wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:01 pm That argument makes sense but I'm not sure how much weight it carries for an upper middle-to-middle class resident who may be able to comfortably adjust their monthly budget if taxes went up. And the potential gains in amenities within walking distance of their home isn't compelling because they've already internalized driving everywhere for basics.

Speaking of, I live in Manheim Park and this year's property tax assessment has has more than doubled, increasing about 144% over 2017's assessment. As Chaglang mentions, I'll adjust comfortably, but this will be a difficult thing for many long time residents that own their homes, or renters who will be transferred the increased cost. Some form of rent control or income based property tax caps would be welcome, City Hall!
Is this an attempt at pushing for more gentrification