Property Tax Assessments 2019

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Property Tax Assessments 2019

Post by Steve52 »

Well I suppose the most practical question now is what is the simplest and most effective way for people to get in line and appeal. This should be interesting.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Property Tax Assessments 2019

Post by DaveKCMO »

Steve52 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:09 pm Well I suppose the most practical question now is what is the simplest and most effective way for people to get in line and appeal. This should be interesting.
Practical answer: https://www.jacksongov.org/330/Board-of-Equalization
Appeal forms are available May 1 yearly and may be obtained by calling the office, visit either location, or download forms online.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

My home in Volker had an increased assessment of 36% - I assume most everyone else saw similar increases or is it just me that got the shock?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I guess i was one of the lucky ones, my assessed value only went up 2100
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

My assessed value went up about 9% in the West Plaza. Which, frankly, seems about right
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Wonder if the people who bought very cheap or a home in really bad condition got hit the hardest then they are shocked to see the rates go up.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:57 am Wonder if the people who bought very cheap or a home in really bad condition got hit the hardest then they are shocked to see the rates go up.
Comparable homes were dramatically lower than the rest of the city in some neighborhoods. It should be no surprise homes are appreciating rapidly in value.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

From an outside perspective you have to think this has to be a sign of progress. When original TIFs start to expire DT the city should begin to see a rapid growth in revenue. These residential property tax increases are just the beginning. You do have to wonder how this will be spent. Will city officials reinvest to continue the rebuild? Will they pay down debt? Expand infrastructure/transportation? If the city saw a 10-20% increase in revenue, where would it go?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:34 am From an outside perspective you have to think this has to be a sign of progress. When original TIFs start to expire DT the city should begin to see a rapid growth in revenue. These residential property tax increases are just the beginning. You do have to wonder how this will be spent. Will city officials reinvest to continue the rebuild? Will they pay down debt? Expand infrastructure/transportation? If the city saw a 10-20% increase in revenue, where would it go?
What are the biggest things holding us back? That's where we should be spending.

I would say, in this order:
1. Crime
2. Infrastructure
3. Affordable housing
4. Schools

BTW, I'm a KC resident again! So expect some serious bitching. :D
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:34 am From an outside perspective you have to think this has to be a sign of progress. When original TIFs start to expire DT the city should begin to see a rapid growth in revenue. These residential property tax increases are just the beginning. You do have to wonder how this will be spent. Will city officials reinvest to continue the rebuild? Will they pay down debt? Expand infrastructure/transportation? If the city saw a 10-20% increase in revenue, where would it go?
The city should take about half and focus on raising the wages of city workers across the board.

School districts will make out big time. About 80% of the increase goes to them. I would hope they focus on a combination of facility repairs, instructional materials and teacher pay

Remember that the city has no say over the school budget and vice versa.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:57 am Wonder if the people who bought very cheap or a home in really bad condition got hit the hardest then they are shocked to see the rates go up.
Mine went up 350%. I have heard similar stories from others in Hyde Park.

Honestly, it was undervalued for years. The assessment had only increased slightly from the 2010 foreclosure purchase price. However, I do think the new value is on the high side. It is probably about what it would sell for if it was 100% freshly renovated, but it still could use some work (and some work done 9 years ago is about needing to be redone).
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

flyingember wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:57 am Remember that the city has no say over the school budget and vice versa.
How do we change this? Schools is as much an economic development issue as business attraction or transportation and I feel the current district leadership just has their own interests at mind instead of what is good for the city or even the education of children in the city. They’re holding us back and I’d prefer they not get more money, especially since they are tearing down and mothballing buildings instead of using them for city good.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:17 am
flyingember wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:57 am Remember that the city has no say over the school budget and vice versa.
How do we change this?
We don't.

School districts legally are a state-level entity.

At that, only two of the 15 districts are entirely within city limits.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Maybe KCMO proper district can go the route of New Orleans and make it a all Charter only school district, maybe they would have less power/money doing it that way
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:58 am
Mine went up 350%. I have heard similar stories from others in Hyde Park.

Honestly, it was undervalued for years. The assessment had only increased slightly from the 2010 foreclosure purchase price. However, I do think the new value is on the high side. It is probably about what it would sell for if it was 100% freshly renovated, but it still could use some work (and some work done 9 years ago is about needing to be redone).
450%
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Property assessments double, triple for some KC residents

https://tinyurl.com/y6pcowfn
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

FangKC wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:43 pm Property assessments double, triple for some KC residents

https://tinyurl.com/y6pcowfn
More then "some" that I can assure you. We are seeing some seriously obscene increases in our neck of the woods. $132K to $329K. $164K to $367K. And $274K to $759K .. um something is seriously out a whack.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

This is a good article by Hendricks.

In assessment shock? Don’t panic just yet. Take action to avoid that big tax hit
Overall , residential real estate property values were up an average 18 percent from two years ago; 16 percent for single-family houses, assessment director Gail McCann Beatty said. Some 84 percent of all homeowners saw an increase, compared to 96 percent who had appraisals go up across the state line in Johnson County.
While more than half of all homeowners—54 percent—saw increases of 15 percent or less, nearly a third opened their tax assessment notice to find that the county’s appraisers hiked their market values by more than that.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Has anybody throwing a fit about this looked at comp sales?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

My assessed value went down. I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad.