Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Westport

Post by beautyfromashes »

What happens if a developer wants to build on a plot with two different height restrictions? For example, SE block of 39th and Broadway has three different standards, under 3, under 6 and 10-15.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:16 pm What happens if a developer wants to build on a plot with two different height restrictions? For example, SE block of 39th and Broadway has three different standards, under 3, under 6 and 10-15.
https://cityscenekc.com/new-westport-ma ... sidewalks/
While the Westport master plan is advisory, it ultimately could be the basis of mandatory regulations for Westport including a potential special overlay district, spot rezoning, and historic designations for buildings and districts.
Today it means nothing, it's basically advisory for what the neighborhood wants. Zoning meanwhile has all the power.

Let's say this is used to change zoning or add an overlay. The council can overrule mandatory regulations. It does all the time.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Critical_Mass wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:51 pm 3 stories along 39th street and the western half of 43rd is too restrictive. "Neighborhood zone" on 39th consists of car washes, a body shop, dilapadated 60s era professional office buildings. Nothing worth preserving architecturally or scale-wise. They did make the proposal to replace one of the car washes with a five story residential project non-conforming
They seem dead set on giving historical designation to the two-story apartments on 39th Terrace/40th streets (which I didn't realize had solar panels installed on the parking shelters until I did a Google search), and neighbors have been vehemently against converting the car wash into low-rise apartments (5 stories?). I can understand keeping the residential fabric in that area, but think their opposition to anything they would have to look at over treetops or fences is a little extreme.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Would have rather seen minimums than maximum heights. I fear your going to see more City Place of Westport style developments all through the area.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Californos has closed.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

McCoy's/Sailor Jack's to reopen by the same business partners after complete gut job, with new menu along with some favorites from the old menus of both restaurants.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 7:26 am McCoy's/Sailor Jack's to reopen by the same business partners after complete gut job, with new menu along with some favorites from the old menus of both restaurants.
So in other words, they're keeping the menu items that are cheaper to make.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

gfenn11 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:10 am Californos has closed.
Seriously? I thought the place was just bought by brothers earlier this year
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 8:38 am
Seriously? I thought the place was just bought by brothers earlier this year
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 89440.html

Not bought, bought into. It was more like adding partners.

It was two *development attorneys*. Are you surprised that not having restaurant experience before buying one might not produce success?
They also didn't shut down their law practice. In Wichita.

Then they went and changed the menu. This is usually only necessary for a failing business.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

Sad but the only surprise is that it circled the drain this long for the past few years.

Owner wasn't very innovative with a location that had so much potential.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Johnny Kaws Concept already in the works :D
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

You'd think with more upgraded market rate apts opening up around Midtown and closer into Westport more neighborhood oriented places will go in but Westport goes into 10 year cycles and might head back into direction of obnoxious party bars. Hope I'm wrong.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

There are three breakfast places reportedly opening this year in Westport (Denver Biscuit Co., Snooze and The Big Biscuit). I think that speaks to the new apartments/residents and the need for neighborhood oriented places. So, there's a bit of everything going on.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

WSPanic wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:08 pm There are three breakfast places reportedly opening this year in Westport (Denver Biscuit Co., Snooze and The Big Biscuit). I think that speaks to the new apartments/residents and the need for neighborhood oriented places. So, there's a bit of everything going on.
Did they ever determine a location for Denver Biscuit Co?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

No idea if it's final, but thought they were doing 4200 Pennsylvania and Snooze was doing 4140 (the other corner on the west side of the street).
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

Interesting location. I cant remember that building being anything other than St.Lukes stuff since Ive came to Westport. Building looks huge like a club spot.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

GouldEvans has been in 4200 Penn since January.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Kawliforno's! Grand opening 1 April 2020. Taking the integration of the rustic and urban to the highest level.

In Real News- Fedex Kinko's is in the process of opening in the old Freebirds spot. No more Plaza location, its now Westport.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I stand corrected. Not sure what is happening. According to this, DBK has a Liquor License app at 4140-44 Penn.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YPQfTV ... J_aqU/view

According to this Snooze is going in 4140 Penn
https://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/ ... a326.html
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

WSPanic wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:50 am I stand corrected. Not sure what is happening. According to this, DBK has a Liquor License app at 4140-44 Penn.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YPQfTV ... J_aqU/view

According to this Snooze is going in 4140 Penn
https://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/ ... a326.html
Well thats disappointing. I thought Snooze was going to be open 24 hrs on weekends.