Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by Steve52 »

Something to consider...

"Individuals supporting themselves through the arts and creative industries have serious concerns about how they can sustain themselves in communities where the housing and studio space expenses are increasing dramatically. It is becoming especially problematic for younger, earlier career artists who aren’t able to get started in their field due to the high cost of living."

"With recent densification trends, our cities are simply not doing enough to provide assistance or advocate for preserving the spaces artists need to work and live in order to make their vital contribution to the vibrancy of a city. Rather than focusing only on code enforcement and penalization of those who struggle to revitalize these spaces, city governments should be creatively looking to incentivize building owners, such as through property tax breaks, to not only ensure code compliance, but also support the unique circumstances of these tenants and preserve the urban character they generate. Ultimately, what is overlooked is that excessive and constant loss of artist space drastically increases the chance that, over time, artistic neighborhoods will fall to inauthentic character and deactivated space, for when you remove the creatives, you lose the atmosphere they produced."
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Steve52, why did you put that in quotations? Are you citing a source?
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Yes just a couple quotes from a National Endowment for The Arts Study and a Denver Article by Boulder County Arts Alliance.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Too many Crossroads projects to keep track of... anyone know which one is causing 19th St to be closed until July? (Just curious.)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

scooterj wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 pm Too many Crossroads projects to keep track of... anyone know which one is causing 19th St to be closed until July? (Just curious.)
How do you know July? If it's east of Oak it's probably for the Milhaus project.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:42 pm
scooterj wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 pm Too many Crossroads projects to keep track of... anyone know which one is causing 19th St to be closed until July? (Just curious.)
How do you know July? If it's east of Oak it's probably for the Milhaus project.
Until mid-July is what it said when I clicked on it in Google Maps. This is west of Oak, though. From Main to McGee.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Main to grand is fully open now. Bad Google data I'd guess.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 am Main to grand is fully open now. Bad Google data I'd guess.
Huh, weird. It was definitely closed yesterday, as I discovered too late much to my chagrin and was stuck trying to re-merge onto Grand from the bike lane in rush hour. :) (I couldn't see any obvious reason why it was closed, either.)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Oh no idea then. It just got opened back up from the Corrigan construction.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Probably utility work. Spire is working like crazy all over town.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, I was driving around the City a lot last Friday, and kept encountering Spire trucks, or their contractors, everywhere.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Streetcar Grille & Tavern Opening at 16th and Main This Summer
The tavern will occupy 4,100 square feet and seat 170 people. It’s located on the ground level of the garage built three years ago for the Residence Inn and Marriott Courtyard hotels around the corner on Baltimore.
https://cityscenekc.com/streetcar-grill ... is-summer/
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

You can take the streetcar to the streetcar.
The streetcar stops at the streetcar. The streetcar is at stop for the streetcar.
You can meet at the streetcar and go to the streetcar. You can meet at the streetcar to go to the streetcar.
You can watch the streetcar moving from inside the streetcar, outside the streetcar and inside the streetcar
You can sit in the streetcar and then go sit in the streetcar.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

Critical_Mass wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:34 am Pirate's Bone plans to move into the space previously occupied by Brioche:
https://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/ ... 06b51.html
just noticed signage up for this at that spot for the first time this week, though that's not to say it hasn't been there for a while.

the owner has an indiegogo page set up that is at 3000/20000 goal: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/plan ... ate-s-bone#/
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

wahoowa wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:10 am
Critical_Mass wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:34 am Pirate's Bone plans to move into the space previously occupied by Brioche:
https://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/ ... 06b51.html
just noticed signage up for this at that spot for the first time this week, though that's not to say it hasn't been there for a while.

the owner has an indiegogo page set up that is at 3000/20000 goal: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/plan ... ate-s-bone#/
While I wish them well (and I will definitely check them out), I just don't have any confidence in the long-term viability of a business that needs crowdfunding to get going or remain in business. Hopefully this is just to give them a boost with moving to a new, larger location.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

CP Ramen shop did the same and are killing it.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:57 am CP Ramen shop did the same and are killing it.
Yes I participated. I honestly don’t know why any startup doesn’t - not only does it raise money but it has it’s own unique marketing slant as well. When CB opened up - we were pretty excited to check it out - same with many other restaurants we were part of the crowdfunding
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think you will see more small businesses using crowdfunding methods. It's hard for new, small businesses to get loans to startup. They often have a great idea. If you are a minority, it's often impossible to get loans with fair interest rates, or even get approved.

That is what KIVA is all about. It started as a way to help third world poor start businesses so they could support their families. However, the concept is expanding because there are so many people in the USA that have little access to capital.

Communities often can use this method to help create retail for their neighborhoods when traditional retail won't invest in their neighborhoods.

https://www.kiva.org/
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

FangKC wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:33 pm I think you will see more small businesses using crowdfunding methods. It's hard for new, small businesses to get loans to startup. They often have a great idea. If you are a minority, it's often impossible to get loans with fair interest rates, or even get approved.

That is what KIVA is all about. It started as a way to help third world poor start businesses so they could support their families. However, the concept is expanding because there are so many people in the USA that have little access to capital.

Communities often can use this method to help create retail for their neighborhoods when traditional retail won't invest in their neighborhoods.

https://www.kiva.org/
Thanks Fang - plus make sure you join Team KANSAS CITY on Kiva.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Menlo Inc. HQ moving to Crossroads from the Northland

Menlo Inc. is taking over the former DERMAdoctor space at 1901 McGee St. and plans to move in during the first quarter. Its current headquarters is at 5904 NW 63rd Terrace in Kansas City.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... .amp.html