Bike Lanes

Transportation topics in KC
User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17622
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by DaveKCMO » Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 am

KCPowercat wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 am
Isn't the visibility problem directly tied to the neighborhood handwringing any reduction in street parking?
Yes, and the city is all-too-willing to oblige.

Same applies to Crossroads: Dozens of intersections with cars legally parked too close to the intersection (less than 30 feet), thus creating major visibility issues.

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5946
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by scooterj » Wed May 15, 2019 10:48 am

DaveKCMO wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 am
ame applies to Crossroads: Dozens of intersections with cars legally parked too close to the intersection (less than 30 feet), thus creating major visibility issues.

Hell that's pretty much anywhere downtown. 11th & McGee is one of several spots I see it consistently, making it even harder for drivers focused on watching traffic coming through on 11th to notice pedestrians approaching the intersection from the other way. And yesterday someone on Reddit was bitching about getting a parking ticket in the River Market because their car was "only halfway into the no-parking zone" and because they thought parking laws weren't enforced after 8pm anyway.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7748
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by flyingember » Wed May 15, 2019 10:52 am

kboish wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:24 am


Besides, its not entirely clear the sight lines were the problem rather than speed.
Speed and sight lines are connected. For example on some cross streets, for the E-W traffic, a car legally waiting behind the stop line/crosswalk is hidden by a building until they're starting to cross. You have the same problem the opposite direction.T he big problem is the stop line is too far back on cross streets.

Take a single intersection. Add new corner bumpouts starting with bollards and replace with concrete. Move the sidewalk crossing into the bumpout and keep the bike lane where it is. This allows moving the stop line about a car length forward. A N-S vehicle will be over today's crosswalk and will be more visibile to bicyclists mainly but cars too.

It will improve the experience for pedestrians as well by putting their N-S crossing point at the parking lane where it should be.

It has a connected benefit that a big truck can't just pull up to the no parking portion of the corner and make things worse.

And the neighborhood gets to keep all their parking.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7748
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by flyingember » Wed May 15, 2019 10:55 am

DaveKCMO wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 am
KCPowercat wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 am
Isn't the visibility problem directly tied to the neighborhood handwringing any reduction in street parking?
Yes, and the city is all-too-willing to oblige.

Same applies to Crossroads: Dozens of intersections with cars legally parked too close to the intersection (less than 30 feet), thus creating major visibility issues.
Incredibly, code used to require only 10 feet gaps away from corners, not 30. The city finally removed the legacy parking code from view, it's all in chapter 88 now. I went looking for the corner distance yesterday and cars can now legally park right at the corner as best I can tell.

kboish
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2560
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by kboish » Wed May 15, 2019 11:24 am

DaveKCMO wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 am
KCPowercat wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 am
Isn't the visibility problem directly tied to the neighborhood handwringing any reduction in street parking?
Yes, and the city is all-too-willing to oblige.

Same applies to Crossroads: Dozens of intersections with cars legally parked too close to the intersection (less than 30 feet), thus creating major visibility issues.
So basically the current visibility issue is from the city "compromising" to appease disgruntled residents. Like I said earlier, the city (PW) splitting the baby to try to appease those who are anti-change nearly always is the cause of us getting half-baked outcomes.

I wouldn't be surprised if its the same people who forced extra parking who are now upset that they can't see around those parked cars.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29571
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by KCPowercat » Wed May 15, 2019 12:09 pm

kboish wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:24 am
DaveKCMO wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 am
KCPowercat wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 am
Isn't the visibility problem directly tied to the neighborhood handwringing any reduction in street parking?
Yes, and the city is all-too-willing to oblige.

Same applies to Crossroads: Dozens of intersections with cars legally parked too close to the intersection (less than 30 feet), thus creating major visibility issues.
So basically the current visibility issue is from the city "compromising" to appease disgruntled residents. Like I said earlier, the city (PW) splitting the baby to try to appease those who are anti-change nearly always is the cause of us getting half-baked outcomes.

I wouldn't be surprised if its the same people who forced extra parking who are now upset that they can't see around those parked cars.
I'd bet anything on that being the case.

User avatar
smh
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3310
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by smh » Wed May 15, 2019 1:29 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:09 pm
kboish wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:24 am
DaveKCMO wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 am


Yes, and the city is all-too-willing to oblige.

Same applies to Crossroads: Dozens of intersections with cars legally parked too close to the intersection (less than 30 feet), thus creating major visibility issues.
So basically the current visibility issue is from the city "compromising" to appease disgruntled residents. Like I said earlier, the city (PW) splitting the baby to try to appease those who are anti-change nearly always is the cause of us getting half-baked outcomes.

I wouldn't be surprised if its the same people who forced extra parking who are now upset that they can't see around those parked cars.
I'd bet anything on that being the case.
I know it to be the case in at least one instance.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29571
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by KCPowercat » Wed May 15, 2019 1:30 pm

I win!

kboish
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2560
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by kboish » Thu May 16, 2019 8:36 am

North KC is developing a Master Bike Plan.

Any bets on whether they adopt their plan before KCMO?

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5389
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by earthling » Thu May 16, 2019 8:47 am

Given NKC is under 5 sq. miles, not as hard to do.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7748
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by flyingember » Thu May 16, 2019 9:03 am

kboish wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:36 am
North KC is developing a Master Bike Plan.

Any bets on whether they adopt their plan before KCMO?
They're going to leapfrog everyone in terms of the type of projects going in.

Burlington work is supposed to begin next year. I'm 95% certain they're removing a lane of parking for biking.

On a Modot route.

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5946
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by scooterj » Thu May 16, 2019 10:23 am

flyingember wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:03 am

Burlington work is supposed to begin next year. I'm 95% certain they're removing a lane of parking for biking.
Hopefully it's the parking on the northbound side, though it'd be great if all the on-Burlington parking went away.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7748
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by flyingember » Thu May 16, 2019 11:35 am

scooterj wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:23 am
flyingember wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:03 am

Burlington work is supposed to begin next year. I'm 95% certain they're removing a lane of parking for biking.
Hopefully it's the parking on the northbound side, though it'd be great if all the on-Burlington parking went away.
Yes, NB. It will come with bus stop improvements too as I recall.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17622
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by DaveKCMO » Fri May 24, 2019 7:56 am

Bike master plan on hold until after the June 18 election:
https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/po ... an-on-hold
While the Bike KC Master Plan suggests a funding plan, it does not have any money attached to it.

kboish
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2560
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by kboish » Fri May 24, 2019 9:04 am

I find it bizarre that some people think it will save the city money to NOT have a plan... thats crazy.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17622
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by DaveKCMO » Fri May 24, 2019 10:11 am

kboish wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:04 am
I find it bizarre that some people think it will save the city money to NOT have a plan... thats crazy.
That's why it's silly season! ;-)

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1953
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by normalthings » Fri May 24, 2019 6:19 pm

DaveKCMO wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 7:56 am
Bike master plan on hold until after the June 18 election:
https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/po ... an-on-hold
While the Bike KC Master Plan suggests a funding plan, it does not have any money attached to it.
I have heard that this and the master plan are expected to get a big boost if Justus wins and absolutely torpedoed if Lucas wins.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29571
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by KCPowercat » Sat May 25, 2019 10:23 am

I honestly don't believe that.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17622
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by DaveKCMO » Sun May 26, 2019 9:23 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 10:23 am
I honestly don't believe that.
Nor do I. No one on the Council has indicated the plan is a problem. Even if it's not adopted, the city will continue building bike infrastructure.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17622
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Bike Lanes

Post by DaveKCMO » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:34 pm

The city addressed the sight line issues for drivers on Armour Boulevard this week:

Image

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/kc ... -boulevard

Post Reply