Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by DaveKCMO »

Not a PR or ad company.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Isn't that a Bible verse.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:17 am Isn't that a Bible verse.
Yes, but I believe the business name is inspired by John Steinbeck's "East of Eden".

https://www.oprah.com/oprahsbookclub/ea ... d-and-evil
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

tskev wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:13 am
WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:17 am Isn't that a Bible verse.
Yes, but I believe the business name is inspired by John Steinbeck's "East of Eden".

https://www.oprah.com/oprahsbookclub/ea ... d-and-evil
Oprah getting love, cool.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The Living Room, a performance space at 1818 McGee, announced it is closing after this season. They sent out an email stating
Full of gratitude for the nine years we’ve spent in our home we are announcing our tenth and final season at 1818 McGee. Due to soaring city taxes and rental costs in The Crossroads Arts District we can sadly no longer afford to stay.
I've attended a few performances at the space and think it was great. Its a shame they are closing up shop. The amount of shows they were putting on had declined over the past year or so.

Meanwhile, the Squeeze Box theater opened a few blocks away at 1519 Oak in the past year. Its an even smaller theater, so...?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Rent has to be increasing, but what are the "soaring city taxes"?

They should move to 18th/vine or NE.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I thought buildings with arts uses had tax abatements. Is that still a thing?

If rents are soaring in a building with a performance space, I'm going to guess the owner is looking to redevelop it into something else.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:45 pm I thought buildings with arts uses had tax abatements. Is that still a thing?

If rents are soaring in a building with a performance space, I'm going to guess the owner is looking to redevelop it into something else.
Yes, the Arts District PIEA is very much still a thing. It was extended in 2016 and has the same boundary as the Crossroads itself. I'd be shocked if The Living Room wasn't already taking advantage of it.
The nearly 40 properties in the Crossroads occupied by artists or for arts activities will get a 50 percent tax abatement for 15 years. Taxes will be frozen at the 2016 assessed value.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

So in 2031 all of the artists will be priced out of the Crossroads once the abatement expires...or it will need to be extended.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kcjak wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:01 am So in 2031 all of the artists will be priced out of the Crossroads once the abatement expires...or it will need to be extended.
I have serious doubts that Crossroads will still be the Art district in 2031.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

normalthings wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:43 am
kcjak wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:01 am So in 2031 all of the artists will be priced out of the Crossroads once the abatement expires...or it will need to be extended.
Jonny Kaw's XR
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I can see the blurb now:

"All 17 Johnny Kaw's XR locations include a small room where anyone can enable their augmented reality glasses to view art made by local artists; all the physical art is located in a warehouse/artists' colony (previously a Walmart) in the Northland.

The AR art galleries were a concession to the city in return for Johnny Kaw's successful request for a tax abatement through 2051."
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:43 am
Probably true.

SOURCE: Original gentrifier.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

My bet is the next arts district will be west bottoms or the northeast. I could see it changing in the next five years, although probably more likely in the next ten.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Riverite wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:59 pm My bet is the next arts district will be west bottoms or the northeast. I could see it changing in the next five years, although probably more likely in the next ten.
The Westbottoms would be inline with the national trend of turning blighted industrial areas into arts districts.

1995-2025: Crossroads
2025-2045: WestBottoms
2045+: Historic Logistics Park KC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

My guess is more scattered over time, which is already happening... W Bottoms, Troost, still Xroads, E Xroads, maybe 18th/Vine and NE Side soon. Could end up with smaller nodes of 5-10 galleries in various districts.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I would also add stretches of Truman Road east of Paseo, centered around Prospect.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

At this rate though, the property values are nowhere low enough in West Bottoms or even along Troost to match what they were when the Crossroads got going ($50K for a modest building, or perhaps even a larger one). To get that low, you'd probably have to go pretty far east along Truman or south on Prospect.

Also, the art market may evolve into less of a artist-dealer-gallery model that requires less real estate. We already see a lot of artists exhibiting in non-gallery space, but mostly during First Friday. Regardless, to assume the local art scene will look like it did in the 80s or 90s when Crossroads started happening might be naive.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Soon enough we’ll be out of urban-form legacy industrial areas with building stock suitable for repurposing. Nobody will want to pioneer in a tin shed on a superfund site. This is why it’s important to preserve every viable pre-war building even if it’s not in a hopping area yet. Nobody would have envisioned the renaissance of the Crossroads or West Bottoms at certain points in the past.