Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by brewcrew1000 »

kcjak wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:56 am I hope another company (NOT Regal!) will take over the space in the old Seville Square building - there's no reason a cinema couldn't be profitable there with the right management. I'm really going to miss being able to decide to go to a movie at the last minute, have covered parking during inclement weather, buy a ticket for less than $5 and (usually) not worry about a bunch of kids running around.

With AMC Ward Parkway we spend $40 for two on tickets, drinks and popcorn versus half that at Cinemark. And it's a 20 minute drive. Granted, Cinemark's employees couldn't care less about being there and the general upkeep was sorely lacking. Alamo's seat are uncomfortable and if anything big is going on at Bartle, Music Hall or Sprint Center you never know how long it will take to park or ride the streetcar.
The Cinemark in Merriam is really cheap and probably closer than the Ward Parkway AMC, its a good Alternative
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Since we're all just here speculating, imagine a new AMC in the bottom of whatever ends up getting built at 20th/Grand. That parcel is huge and could more than accommodate a modern multiplex on the ground floors with 20 floors of office/residential above.

#dreemz
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Turn the downtown lots around 7th/Wynandotte into a Drive-in Theatre! /s &
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:55 pm
nomadcowatbk wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:00 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:37 pm We had the best theater in the city DT with the AMC. Alamo bought it and ruined it.
AMC and Cordish had differences
Cordish wants young adults and hookup zones and Guy Fiero. That’s not going to reinvigorate DT to the level it should be. It’s proven with their continued vacancies. You have to attract from every demographic. Why is it wrong to have a movie theater DT that is accessible to families?
you want Chuck E Cheese DT?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:55 pm Why is it wrong to have a movie theater DT that is accessible to families?
There's already a downtown theatre accessible to families.

It's in Union Station. They run current kid movies and other family friendly shows.
https://www.unionstation.org/venues/reg ... en-theatre
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

nomadcowatbk wrote: you want Chuck E Cheese DT?
No, but I’d like more places in the loop that are family friendly. Right now, those are all found at Crown Center, some in the River Market. Those are technically DT, but would love to see more people...any people, walking inside the loop. You can’t get a vibrant DT focusing on one demographic and that’s what I see Cordish doing.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Families are not gonna want to go to a theater downtown because of one big issue and that is parking.

We do love the Union Station theater, its usually empty and they have lots of family friendly movies for a great price
Developersanonymous
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Developersanonymous »

from what i hear.... the plan is to close the existing cinemark so AMC can come in and do a smaller, upscale format with fewer screens. They have to to this because part of the existing theater space needs to be vacated for the Nords build.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:30 am Families are not gonna want to go to a theater downtown because of one big issue and that is parking.

We do love the Union Station theater, its usually empty and they have lots of family friendly movies for a great price
Parking issues for two theatres along the streetcar line? I think we've proven that argument false.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:30 am Families are not gonna want to go to a theater downtown because of one big issue and that is parking.
AMC DT was our go-to theater before they switched to Alamo. Free parking in their lot with validation.

The main thing I hate about Alamo is the seat configuration. They took out the recliners and put in the most uncomfortable bench seating ever. They also put tables for food instead of side tables, but the tables block the bottom part of the screen. This also causes waiters bringing food to walk right in front of you. The movie experience is a disaster. AMC to the Plaza would be great. More expensive, but better food options, seats and cleaner than what Cinemark is now. I’d still rather support DT, though.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

flyingember wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:58 am

Parking issues for two theatres along the streetcar line? I think we've proven that argument false.
I just don't see a Family for 4 from North KC, KCK, and surrounding areas driving downtown to see a movie when other options with better parking are available. I can totally see families that are staying downtown for a weekend or families that live in the immediate area that know how to park but for a simple movie there are easy/better options
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Sort of. When there is an event at the Sprint Center and/or Music Hall and/or Bartle, any parking between City Market and Union Station is at a premium. People aren't going to haul kids 3-4 blocks to catch the streetcar. Going to a movie on First Friday isn't even an option...and I take take the streetcar every chance I get.

People are lazy and for those who don't go downtown, may go downtown on a busy day and assume it's always busy. And they're not going to want to have check event schedules at multiple venues or try to find parking that's not $10+ and several blocks away.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Except we know people absolutely will find parking far away. Otherwise how do you explain the streetcar having 2 million riders per year?

We know for certain it's not used just by downtown residents from all the studies.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:06 pm

I just don't see a Family for 4 from North KC, KCK, and surrounding areas driving downtown to see a movie when other options with better parking are available. I can totally see families that are staying downtown for a weekend or families that live in the immediate area that know how to park but for a simple movie there are easy/better options
Why are we forgetting that there are already a sizable number of families living between the River and 51st? This number only seems to be going up as the schools(charters) improve.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:06 pm I just don't see a Family for 4 from North KC, KCK, and surrounding areas driving downtown to see a movie when other options with better parking are available. I can totally see families that are staying downtown for a weekend or families that live in the immediate area that know how to park but for a simple movie there are easy/better options
I do.

It's not just distance that matters, it's the time of the shows that are available. I've seen cases where AMC had dropped a certain movie to only one showing at 3pm and The Alamo had three.

I bet you'll find which restaurants are in the area plays a large part too. Similarly, we went to a movie at Union Station once because the show time was perfect and we spent an hour at Science City afterwards.

Movie theaters draw from a much wider area than you would think. Years ago we would drive from Liberty to Independence Center for the movies, despite Metro North having a theatre at the time. Independence Center was twice the distance. Then when Zona Rosa opened we would drive past Metro North to that theatre. We spent time before the movie at the book store in both cases. The combination was of more value than a closer option. Then when Liberty B&B opened sometime we would drive right past it, all of 1.0 miles away, to still go to Zona Rosa for a movie or to the also new Northglen theatre. It had sound issues, you could hear the next movie over a lot.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Developersanonymous wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:51 am from what i hear.... the plan is to close the existing cinemark so AMC can come in and do a smaller, upscale format with fewer screens. They have to to this because part of the existing theater space needs to be vacated for the Nords build.
That makes sense. Hopefully it occurs sooner than later. The Plaza needs a decent theatre.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

Its true. I would go to Protein House alot more if it weren't downtown. Downtown is a hassle. I can walk somewhere quicker than waiting for the toy train to get me there.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Corbin Park Protein House.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

mgsports wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:16 am Corbin Park Protein House.
I think that location closed. I live on the Plaza so all we have is the bland T.Loft
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

johnmatrix wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:41 am
mgsports wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:16 am Corbin Park Protein House.
I think that location closed. I live on the Plaza so all we have is the bland T.Loft
Bro do you even True Food Kitchen