Hyperloop between KC and STL

Transportation topics in KC
wahoowa
Ambassador

Re: Hyperloop between KC and STL

Post by wahoowa »

let's just run the streetcar from the riverfront over to st louis with stops at mizzou and maybe the odessa taco john's, who says no?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

wahoowa wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:34 pm let's just run the streetcar from the riverfront over to st louis with stops at mizzou and maybe the odessa taco john's, who says no?
FREE TO RIDE
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

wahoowa wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:34 pm let's just run the streetcar from the riverfront over to st louis with stops at mizzou and maybe the odessa taco john's, who says no?
In the spirit that transit MUST be individually convenient to all we will need to pick a random house along the route and detour in order to put a stop right outside their front door.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

it may not be the most direct detour for *this* extension, but i can think of a property literally on the trolley trail i'd be happy to put a stop in front of
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

don't forget grain valley it needs to run on its own siding underneath the lifted trucks but who is going to pay for it and not enough parking .

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Hyperloop CEO: Missouri route is leading the pack
Walder spoke about the route's potential Wednesday as part of the KC Tech Council's CEO speaker series and touted Missouri's progress.

"I've been the CEO of Virgin Hyperloop One for five months, and this is the first trip I've taken to a state where there has been a hyperloop proposed. I think that's a vote of confidence," he told the crowd at Kansas City's WeWork.
Missouri is creating a model for how to bring government, the business community and academia together to talk through key questions for making a hyperloop route a reality, he said.

"If you look at the steps being taken in Missouri right now, they've put Missouri at the front of the pack of places," he said.
Missouri was the first state to complete a feasibility study, which made some significant conclusions for the leadership at Hyperloop One. One takeaway is the vast amount of rights-of-way that the Missouri Department of Transportation owns along the Interstate 70 corridor and can give Hyperloop One access to. It accounts for 65 to 70 percent of the proposed route.

"It's almost unheard of to start from that kind of position," Walder said.

Constructing the route would cost slightly more than $30 million per linear mile, which is roughly 60 to 70 percent the cost of high-speed rail, he said. The study also revealed a travel time savings of 85 percent.
https://tinyurl.com/yyjlyna6
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Can see why they'd be attracted to MO owning 65-70% of right-of-way. But MO shouldn't contribute much funding on the project itself, except anything that can be applied to a new I-70 and/or new rail line if this project fails, such as purchasing remaining ROWs. I suspect MO will get suckered into a large chunk of project cost though if selected. Or put another way, Virgin Hyperloop will select the state that can be most easily suckered into paying a large chunk.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:44 am Virgin Hyperloop will select the state that can be most easily suckered into paying a large chunk.
Corrected it for you below.
Missouri is high on Virgin Hyperloop’s Radar because they can be most easily suckered into paying a large chunk.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

There's zero chance the system would be built in Missouri without public funding. I'm sure their claimed ticket price assumes a massive public subsidy, either with free access to public right of way, a direct cash contribution, or other subsidies.

Surface transportation requires public investment. To think this "new tech" is immune to that is absurd. That's why people like airports and airplanes (you don't have to invest as much in infrastructure over long distances).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The best outcome I can see is it fails and there's a bunch of land that can be reused to lay rail. If there's a bridge over the Missouri River to reuse, even better.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I'm still not exactly clear on how this brand new, basically untested technology that requires a grade-separated, vacuum-sealed tube over the entire length is significantly cheaper to build than HSR that has been around for decades. This is a claim that gets repeated over and over again by Hyperloop boosters with little or no explanation.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Appears to be a case of, "Elon said it, I believe it, that settles it."

Which, as far as I can tell, is almost as dumb as the original saying, but at least there is evidence Elon Musk actually exists and has done things. So I guess that's an improvement?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Also: They openly admit now that it's basically mag-lev in a tube.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Is that an implementation problem or just a pr problem?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

missingkc wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:52 pm Is that an implementation problem or just a pr problem?
It's an implementation problem because they're promising speeds that exceed current mag-lev capabilities (but mag-lev isn't usually in a tube, so points for originality?).

I guess I have to remind everyone that:

a) they have not carried ANY living organisms in their pods (let alone any humans)
b) their pods or test tracks have not met any promised speed claims

It's also a PR problem because of all of the above.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

I live with a cat they can borrow if they need a first rider
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

whoa now, let's not just let anyone on the proof of concept run. i say at least two seats should be saved for those special someones so dedicated to missouri transit that they have literally lived on the trolley trail right of way for years
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:13 pm
missingkc wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:52 pm Is that an implementation problem or just a pr problem?
I guess I have to remind everyone that:

a) they have not carried ANY living organisms in their pods (let alone any humans)
b) their pods or test tracks have not met any promised speed claims
C) Airport style TSA security is pretty much guaranteed at some point.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Fun article: "Elon Musk Says ‘Hyperloop’ Tunnel Is Now Just a Normal Car Tunnel Because ‘This Is Simple and Just Works’"

https://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-says-hyp ... 1835024474
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

HyperLoop One visiting KC to try and sucker MO into this...
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... royal.html

Fine if MO pays just for right-of-way but not the construction/operation. Maybe the freight industry would invest if they can get a certain % of runs - both KC and STL major freight centers. If it fails, the ROW can still be used for a new I-70 and traditional high speed rail.