wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by johnmatrix »

kcjak wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:57 am The house between Simply Grooming by Gia and Meshuggah is being renovated for a new medical marijuana dispensary.
Source?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

johnmatrix wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:54 am
kcjak wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:57 am The house between Simply Grooming by Gia and Meshuggah is being renovated for a new medical marijuana dispensary.
Source?
The owner of one of the businesses next it. They've already started gutting and putting on a new roof.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

kcjak wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:01 am
Source?
The owner of one of the businesses next it. They've already started gutting and putting on a new roof.
interesting. Seems like a bold move since I believe the approval process hasnt even started yet.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

johnmatrix wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:31 am

Source?
interesting. Seems like a bold move since I believe the approval process hasnt even started yet.
That building (house) has been vacant for as long as I can remember - 15+ years? Another nearby property owner told me that the asking price was astronomical, so it languished until now. Along with the new roof, the entire interior has to be gutted and squatters had been breaking in and staying in the basement, so it's equally interesting that someone would pay a lot for the property and a lot for the renovation at this stage.

As someone who lives down the street, I'm happy to see it get renovated and would rather have this than yet another CBS store, head shop or tattoo parlor.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

kcjak wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:12 pm
johnmatrix wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:31 am

That building (house) has been vacant for as long as I can remember - 15+ years? Another nearby property owner told me that the asking price was astronomical, so it languished until now. Along with the new roof, the entire interior has to be gutted and squatters had been breaking in and staying in the basement, so it's equally interesting that someone would pay a lot for the property and a lot for the renovation at this stage.

As someone who lives down the street, I'm happy to see it get renovated and would rather have this than yet another CBS store, head shop or tattoo parlor.
Don't get me wrong im all for it especially since its very close to my place. Just wasnt aware some businesses have already been approved to sell MMJ.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

Hasn't been mentioned yet, but the Smalter Gallery opened up in 1802 W 39th St. They did a beautiful renovation of the space, which was previously in very rough shape. They even have before and after pictures inside. It adds an interesting mix to the street, I hope they do well.

https://smalterart.com/

https://www.instagram.com/smalterart/
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Terrifying. A fire on 39th could get out of hand quick.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Not sure about the validity of this, but someone commented on our neighborhood association FB page that Mia used to have a Chinese restaurant on that lot, in a building that fronted the street. It was destroyed by fire and Mia built the current strip and parking lot. Makes one wonder how long she's been in the insurance scam business.

The article mentions that she was in danger of losing the property...I'd hate to lose Bob Wasabi, but would love to see new ownership of the buildings and someone restore the exterior of the hookah lounge.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I recall reading a rumor on this board awhile back that a developer was trying to purchase the property to redevelop it. The rumor was that she refused to sell because the developer was going to do apartments over retail.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Bob Wasabi, best sushi in town.
This is a major story for Midtown. Does the same landlord own the building that houses Prospero's?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Finally. A story befitting the thread title.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Apparently there are new owners of the property and rumors are that they are planning some sort of mixed use development. The liquor store's lease was not extended and their last day in business is near. A few people on the neighborhood FB page voiced displeasure on the new development unless all of the apartments are cheap so people can afford to live there. Good grief.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

kcjak wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:36 am Apparently there are new owners of the property and rumors are that they are planning some sort of mixed use development. The liquor store's lease was not extended and their last day in business is near. A few people on the neighborhood FB page voiced displeasure on the new development unless all of the apartments are cheap so people can afford to live there. Good grief.
I'm old enough to remember when people complained about apartments because they didn't want poor people to live near them.

Makes me wonder if they're being disingenuous... :-k
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

They want lower income apartments in hopes that the tenants don't have cars.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The building with the hookah lounge and laundromat used to be the auditorium portion of the Giles Theater.

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/39727
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The Meatball District, most recently just 'The District' has been sold and changed over to Vera Marie's Comfort Food. Someone from the neighborhood FB group said no alcohol is being sold (owner says her Christian values won't permit it) and prices are high ($7 smoothies, $12 burgers) for what you get.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Is that Jersey Pizza place still open? I remember seeing some kind of Jersey style pizza place or something.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:04 am Is that Jersey Pizza place still open? I remember seeing some kind of Jersey style pizza place or something.
Nope - they lasted only a short while...space is empty again with a for rent sign on it.