OFFICIAL - Lightwell (formerly City Center Square)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: City Center Square for sale

Post by earthling »

I tend to pack ultra light when I travel and sometimes misjudge possible weather so might buy a cheap rain jacket, shorts/flipflops, umbrella, etc. I could see hotel visitors going for clothing basics/accessories more than locals. Or if having to stay longer than expected, maybe pickup cheap socks/undies/tshirts/etc.

If Target goes into CCS or whatever it's now called, they may not do the prepared food counter given Cosentino's already does (per Target's apparent non-compete with locals).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think comparing the Minneapolis one has much value. That's their flagship urban store meant to show off.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

earthling wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:47 am I tend to pack ultra light when I travel and sometimes misjudge possible weather so might buy a cheap rain jacket, shorts/flipflops, umbrella, etc. I could see hotel visitors going for clothing basics/accessories more than locals. Or if having to stay longer than expected, maybe pickup cheap socks/undies/tshirts/etc.

If Target goes into CCS or whatever it's now called, they may not do the prepared food counter given Cosentino's already does (per Target's apparent non-compete with locals).
Airline baggage fees are driving some of what Earthling is talking about. People used to be able to bring a couple of large bags on planes without charge, and bring all those extra things they MIGHT need. Now, no one is going to pay baggage fees for those things when they might be able to buy a cheap version at their travel site.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

some completely random comment on reddit the other day said the people behind parlor would be picking and managing the new tenants for city center square. not sure what this does for target rumors, or whether it's worth any more than i paid for it.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Yes, I can quash the Target in CCS rumor. I've spoken with someone connected with the redevelopment and it is planned to be a food hall concept. Escalators are going away and some type of stadium seating staircase (think Populous office in renovated Board of Trade) was described. Sounds like this will be a really great renovation and they have some new office tenants lined up which will be big-ish news.
Now, that's not to say that Target hasn't been looking elsewhere downtown...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

is that to say Target HAS been looking elsewhere?
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

Critical_Mass wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:37 pm Yes, I can quash the Target in CCS rumor. I've spoken with someone connected with the redevelopment and it is planned to be a food hall concept. Escalators are going away and some type of stadium seating staircase (think Populous office in renovated Board of Trade) was described. Sounds like this will be a really great renovation and they have some new office tenants lined up which will be big-ish news.
Will the "food hall" be open in the evenings and have lots of external signage showing what's available and draw in public/tourists?
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:30 am is that to say Target HAS been looking elsewhere?
hell yeah back on the rampant unfounded rumor mill!! i'll go first. flashcube! ten main! mark twain building!!
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:30 am is that to say Target HAS been looking elsewhere?
Yes but I don't know if this was a developer proposal trying to persuade Target to be part of a project or if it was initiated by Target themselves.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Critical_Mass wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:49 am
Yes but I don't know if this was a developer proposal trying to persuade Target to be part of a project or if it was initiated by Target themselves.
I’ve been asking around on this rumor as I hadn’t heard anything about it before it came out. I did hear that Target has looked at the KC market with the expansion of the streetcar but that it would be more of development similar to Whole Foods. Nothing seems imminent..(from what I’ve heard). Would much rather have it DT as a catalyst for more development, but I don’t think that is the direction this one will go.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

wahoowa wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:12 am
hell yeah back on the rampant unfounded rumor mill!! i'll go first. flashcube! ten main! mark twain building!!
Don't forget in the new proposed development at 3rd & Grand. I think a Target kitty-corner from the City Market would be an interesting location.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Full-size suburban Super Target in the north loop?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I predict Target goes somewhere near 27th and Grand/Main as part of a new development coinciding with the streetcar extension. Trader Joe's will also join nearby.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

seems more than just a rando prediction :/
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:41 pm seems more than just a rando prediction :/
Because of how I worded it and no more. :lol: :lol: :cry:
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:53 pm Full-size suburban Super Target in the north loop?
Eww, No.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Critical_Mass wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:37 pm Yes, I can quash the Target in CCS rumor. I've spoken with someone connected with the redevelopment and it is planned to be a food hall concept. Escalators are going away and some type of stadium seating staircase (think Populous office in renovated Board of Trade) was described. Sounds like this will be a really great renovation and they have some new office tenants lined up which will be big-ish news.
[-o< Any hints on tenants?
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

normalthings wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:21 pm
Vildhast. Only Vildhast.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

normalthings wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:21 pm
Food hall tenants, no clue. I forgot the name of the company which will be managing the space. I hadn't heard of them before but they are local.
Office tenants: I can't say but it is an expansion of an existing office user elsewhere (net new, so no poaching)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Food hall is a solid idea for the location but sure wish they would have found a way to face the street more. Getting rid of the street level gym and putting that downstairs for example.