Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Critical_Mass wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:34 pm "Nice".
Looks like it would fit in well in my parents back yard, not 5th & Delaware.
It's trying its best
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't like that at all. I'd rather have just had a redone streetcar sitting there as art and a ground level greenspace type of setup around it.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

What's it being used for again after the ice cream idea went away?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Made in KC store.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I don't like that at all. I'd rather have just had a redone streetcar sitting there as art and a ground level greenspace type of setup around it.
Totally agree, but assuming they had to do something like this for ADA compliance, with built-in ramp?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't see a need to do anything inside the vehicle honestly. Seems very small to do much.

This just hides the streetcar itself. I hope I'm wrong but not sure fan at this point.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i walked by it a couple times this weekend. the streetcar is not as hidden as those pictures make it seem (no shots fired at the photographer, of course). it's completely fine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've been by it in person as well and that's what my opinion is based on, not the picture.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

River Market

Post by FangKC »

New River Market Restaurant ‘Chicken Please’ Goes Beyond Brazil
Normal as in non-Brazilian specific fare that he and co-owner Marco Rabello plan to offer at their new place in the River Market stall formerly occupied by the Farm to Table kitchen at 21 E. Third St.
https://cityscenekc.com/new-river-marke ... nd-brazil/
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I've had nothing but good experiences with their Brazil restaurant. Looking forward to checking this out. I don't remember Farm to Table Kitchen.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I don't remember Farm to Table Kitchen.
Farm to Table was like a professional kitchen/prep space that could be rented for events or large scale food preparation, from my understanding. Was a nice looking space and kind of a neat idea within City Market; must not have found an audience...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Thou Mayest Returns, Buys Quay Coffee and Plans New Concept
Thou Mayest, the popular East Crossroads establishment that shut down in December, is returning downtown, but with a new game plan.

The coffee shop, roaster and cultivator of creative thinking is opening an outlet called “Thee Outpost” next month inside a building housing a new “creative collaboration space” called Collective Ex at 519 E. 18th St.

Thou Mayest also has acquired the Quay Coffee shops in the River Market at 412 Delaware and the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.
Nelson said he’d eventually like to open another Thou Mayest in downtown, but has no definite schedule.

“We’re still working on a flagship store, but that may be a few years out,” Nelson said.
https://cityscenekc.com/thou-mayest-ret ... w-concept/

A couple of locations come to mind downtown that don't have coffee shop coverage now: around 9th and Broadway; the garage retail spaces on Oak between at E. 12th and 13th streets.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:47 pm A couple of locations come to mind downtown that don't have coffee shop coverage now: around 9th and Broadway...
Vested Coffee took the place of Scratch between Broadway and Central on 8th: https://www.vested.coffee/
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I am disappointed in the upcoming Thou Mayest plans, per CityScene. I loved everything about their old place (location, interior design, clientele/vibe, bar/coffee concept) and was excited about a larger downtown flagship. Sounds like that is now on the backburner, if it ever happens.

Quay Coffee is great, but a different vibe and importantly, no alcohol. Just buying another local coffee shop or doing tiny "startup" locations inside larger spaces doesn't add anything to the greater cultural pie as did the original Thou Mayest.

All that said, would be cool to see what they can do with the Nelson space if they decide to get creative and add back the booze side in that great corner of the Bloch building, patio and all.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Couldn't they bring alcohol into quay?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Keep in mind that the original TM concept was deemed illegal (an all ages coffee shop that also served booze). They switched to 21-and-over all day long and then eventually stopped serving alcohol entirely when they got in a disagreement with the landlord.

If they take over Quay and want to serve alcohol they'll either need to be permitted as a restaurant (all ages, but lots of food), a tavern (21-and-over only), or have the laws changed.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:25 pm Keep in mind that the original TM concept was deemed illegal (an all ages coffee shop that also served booze). They switched to 21-and-over all day long and then eventually stopped serving alcohol entirely when they got in a disagreement with the landlord.

If they take over Quay and want to serve alcohol they'll either need to be permitted as a restaurant (all ages, but lots of food), a tavern (21-and-over only), or have the laws changed.
Do we think Our Daily Nada is licensed as a restaurant? They're doing the same general idea, right? Do book sales count against the food percentage?

Is this a classic case of Kansas City trying to put businesses into buckets of its choosing instead of responding to how businesses actually operate in the 21st century?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:25 pm Keep in mind that the original TM concept was deemed illegal (an all ages coffee shop that also served booze). They switched to 21-and-over all day long and then eventually stopped serving alcohol entirely when they got in a disagreement with the landlord.

It must be a Kansas City ordinance issue, otherwise Colony wouldn't be able to do it. (Unless that played a role into them later adding Beerded Man.) I've heard a few in the industry up there say they located in NKC because they are less restrictive and make it quite a bit less burdensome to open and operate than KC does.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:17 am

Do we think Our Daily Nada is licensed as a restaurant? They're doing the same general idea, right? Do book sales count against the food percentage?

Is this a classic case of Kansas City trying to put businesses into buckets of its choosing instead of responding to how businesses actually operate in the 21st century?
Can people under 21 go into Our Daily Nada? My guess is that they must be meeting the food requirement as a Restaurant.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Wait, so if you serve alcohol and coffee but not food, you aren't allowed to let children come in?

Like are they supposed to card at the door?

Is that a city or state regulation? We should fix that because it's very dumb.