Re: KC metro growth and migration stats

Post by TrolliKC »

KS is so backwards
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:43 pm It will be interesting to see if the passage of medical marijuana has an impact on the population growth in MO vs KS. I don't think it will have a massive effect, but I imagine it could be a deciding factor for some people.

Do we know if there is a residency requirement for a prescription/card? Or could someone just go to a doctor in MO and hope they don't caught with it in KS?
There's no residency requirement to use it Colorado. Can't see why there would be one for a prescription in Missouri. When it comes to medical problems, people travel for the appropriate treatment. It's only going to be a few years where medical marijuana will be legal in every state so Kansans won't have to be careful for long.

I suspect, however, it will be pretty much a non factor in population growth. Not enough people care either way for it to make a difference.
Last edited by Highlander on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

And most states allow medical usage anyway, I think about 35 now.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Highlander wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:25 pm There's no residency requirement to use it Colorado. Can't see why there would be one for a prescription in Missouri.
Recreational is a different ballgame from medical. You need to have a card issued for medical and I think it is safe to assume there would be a residency requirement.
Highlander wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:25 pmIt's only going to be a few years where medical marijuana will be legal in every state so Kansans won't have to be careful for long.

I suspect, however, it will be pretty much a non factor in population growth. Not enough people care either way for it to make a difference.
I agree that medical will likely be legal in most states before too long, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes more than a "few" years in KS.

I don't know how many people you think would be significant enough to make a difference, but I think it could be an appreciable number. Here are some stats on number of medical marijuana patients:
https://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/vie ... eID=005889

There is a pretty wide range. Maine is the highest with 3.8% of the population. A number of states are over 2%. I would guess that the percentages in metro areas are higher than state averages due to lower numbers rural areas/small towns. If just 1% of the residents on the KS side of the KC metro decided to move across state lines (possibly bringing significant others and family members with them), I think it would be fairly significant.
earthling wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:27 pm And most states allow medical usage anyway, I think about 35 now.
I wasn't referring to people moving to MO specifically for it, but rather people who already live in the metro, or are already relocating here, choosing the MO side vs KS.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:12 pm
Highlander wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:25 pm There's no residency requirement to use it Colorado. Can't see why there would be one for a prescription in Missouri.
Recreational is a different ballgame from medical. You need to have a card issued for medical and I think it is safe to assume there would be a residency requirement.
You should read the petition, it literally tells the answer.

https://www.sos.mo.gov/CMSImages/Electi ... 18-051.pdf

Prescriptions are limited to Missouri residents. Item 16 on page 4.

-------

1% of the population moving into the KC area only from Johnson, Wyandotte, Leavenworth would be around 8000 people. That's more than the entire city of Parkville
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

The 2018 census population estimates were released today.
Another good year for KC, but not as good as the previous two years which I think were at around 20k and 22k.

MSAs:
Kansas City, MO-KS Metro Area +16,392
Lawrence, KS Metro Area +807
St. Joseph, MO-KS Metro Area -108
Topeka, KS Metro Area -559
St. Louis, MO-IL Metro Area -385
Omaha-Council Bluffs, NE-IA Metro Area +9,981
Lincoln, NE Metro Area +3,411
Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA Metro Area +10,309
Oklahoma City, OK Metro Area +13,196
Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN Metro Area +21,980
Columbus, OH Metro Area +24,066
Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI Metro Area +36,521
Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO Metro Area +39,436

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-k ... mates.html
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I would be interested in seeing where most of the Twin Cities growth is going. I could see most of that population growth happening in Wisconsin where taxes are cheaper and home prices are a little lower
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Columbus and Indy climbing faster than KC. They get the Chicago and rust belt exodus. And helps to have major universities as well as state capitol.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The migration data should be updated soon. This still shows 2017 but should be updated with 2018 before end of month.

https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/popu ... y%2C_MO-KS
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

earthling wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:48 pmAnd helps to have major universities as well as state capitol.
We should steal the capitol building from jeff city and strong hall from ku. They'll have no choice but to move both institutions here
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Repeatedly, lack of a major university is cited as a contributor to KC's sluggish economic and population growth and repeatedly nothing is done to improve UMKC's fortunes. No, let's attract artists. Let's encourage entrepreneurs. Let's build an innovation district. But, let's not bring resources to bear on upping UMKC's game.

Having said that, I know there are others on here that have been watching KC's economy for a long time. My recollection is that back in the '80s and '90s, JoCo was frequently the recipient of new operations centers - mostly back office stuff (is that even a term, anymore?) - but new jobs all the same. That just doesn't seem to happen with the same frequency these days. It feels like all ecodevo activity in JoCo is city-level and focused on robbing from other cities in the Metro.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

With or without a state capitol, Indianapolis sucks and outside of the sports emphasis, I'll personally never see the allure. It's not like KC has no major universities - MU, KU and K-State, not to mention a ton of smaller schools are all within a reasonable distance to attract jobs and talent. Butler, IUPUI and maybe Ball State hardly scream major universities.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Has anyone seen an update of greater downtown population? Also curious about just the Loop, last I saw was about 10K.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

earthling wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:21 am Has anyone seen an update of greater downtown population? Also curious about just the Loop, last I saw was about 10K.
Found this dated May 2018...
https://www.downtownkc.org/wp-content/u ... Report.pdf

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:21 am Has anyone seen an update of greater downtown population? Also curious about just the Loop, last I saw was about 10K.
IMHO, the most important part of Growth/Migration is whats happening in a city’s urban core.
ztonyg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ztonyg »

missingkc wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:58 pm Repeatedly, lack of a major university is cited as a contributor to KC's sluggish economic and population growth and repeatedly nothing is done to improve UMKC's fortunes. No, let's attract artists. Let's encourage entrepreneurs. Let's build an innovation district. But, let's not bring resources to bear on upping UMKC's game.

Having said that, I know there are others on here that have been watching KC's economy for a long time. My recollection is that back in the '80s and '90s, JoCo was frequently the recipient of new operations centers - mostly back office stuff (is that even a term, anymore?) - but new jobs all the same. That just doesn't seem to happen with the same frequency these days. It feels like all ecodevo activity in JoCo is city-level and focused on robbing from other cities in the Metro.
A good bit of the "back office" development over the past decade has been in places like Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Indianapolis, Nashville, Orlando, Phoenix and Tampa.

I live in Phoenix and it seems every month or so another "back office" development is announced (generally from California based companies). It seems like most of this development is occurring in conservative leaning "sunbelt" states now.
ztonyg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ztonyg »

kcjak wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:49 am With or without a state capitol, Indianapolis sucks and outside of the sports emphasis, I'll personally never see the allure. It's not like KC has no major universities - MU, KU and K-State, not to mention a ton of smaller schools are all within a reasonable distance to attract jobs and talent. Butler, IUPUI and maybe Ball State hardly scream major universities.
Indianapolis benefits from its proximity to Chicago and the Northeast. It's getting a lot of Chicago and NE back office type of facilities.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Didn't we just miss on the Starbuck "backoffice" 900 jobs because we didn't have ready office space built downtown?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

kcjak wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:49 am With or without a state capitol, Indianapolis sucks and outside of the sports emphasis, I'll personally never see the allure. It's not like KC has no major universities - MU, KU and K-State, not to mention a ton of smaller schools are all within a reasonable distance to attract jobs and talent. Butler, IUPUI and maybe Ball State hardly scream major universities.
Interesting timing on this interview with Cliff Illig
Take higher education. Cerner hires around 1,600 software engineers every year, with about 500 coming from universities within 250 miles of Kansas City. Those graduates, Illig said, typically need about nine months of training to be job ready. Graduates from schools on the coasts are ready in two months.

The problem, as Illig sees it, is that local universities don’t teach what’s relevant. Not enough advanced computing, or advanced networking. Not enough about artificial intelligence or big data. He said there is no “really high-class university in the city,” and changing that would cost at least $3 billion, “even if we started with UMKC.”

The whole thing — lack of suitable supply for what Illig sees required not just at Cerner but around the city — pisses him off.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Cliff is the most likely figure to change our university problem. He’s dedicated to the community, has the resources, and now has time.

I’ve always thought that Rockhurst and UMKC should merge and that the University of KC should be absorbed or at least aligned. IMHO, the Keystone Innovation district should go in next to one of the three schools.