Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Re: Westport

Post by TrolliKC »

kboish wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:48 am
flyingember wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:41 am Capitalism says that as long as owner of the strip of shops stops is making money off it greater than the return on selling it then it should stick around.
Does it?

I thought Capitalism would suggest that if a parcel could produce more profits that market pressures would transform that parcel into a use that generates the higher profits. Maybe land/property ownership laws subterfuge market pressures or we don't really live in a "free-market" economy?
You are right - this has little to do with capitalism. In US Accounting the concept we should be using is similar to fair value’s “highest and best use”. Even if land is being used for a Bowling alley because of a myriad of reasons (some of which have been mentioned here) but the highest and best use would be a skyscraper or a parking lot you would need to increase or lower the value, respectively when valuing
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

WSPanic wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:29 pm
johnmatrix wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:17 pm
brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Wonder if the location on 39th will just close now
I'd imagine so. Its pretty uncomfortable having to get your pizza through a bullet proof glass window.
Why? Are you scared of glass?
:roll:
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

WSPanic wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:46 pm That's fine, but let's not act like "johnnymatrix" really gets his pizza there.

I lived in the Santa Maria (next door to the Alcazar) for a year when I was a bit younger. I know what that stretch is about.
Yeah I never get pizza there because Domino's is shit just like your posting.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

bryan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:24 pm
WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:06 am FedEx is moving its Plaza center into a Westport location. Don’t know where or why however it is planned to open in May.
I was at the plaza FedEx location yesterday and mentioned I'd heard they were moving to Westport. The employee claimed they weren't allowed to discuss it. I pushed further, asking if they couldn't discuss the location and they replied, "Well, there's an empty building where Freebirds used to be..."

Sounds like FedEx is moving to 554 Westport Road.
Maybe only a rumor, then. I never followed up with source
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:33 pm
bryan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:24 pm
WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:06 am FedEx is moving its Plaza center into a Westport location. Don’t know where or why however it is planned to open in May.
I was at the plaza FedEx location yesterday and mentioned I'd heard they were moving to Westport. The employee claimed they weren't allowed to discuss it. I pushed further, asking if they couldn't discuss the location and they replied, "Well, there's an empty building where Freebirds used to be..."

Sounds like FedEx is moving to 554 Westport Road.
Maybe only a rumor, then. I never followed up with source
Yuck. Was hoping for another restaurant or bar.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Plan for McCoy's old space has been filed. Called Mickey's Hideaway
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 2105458643

Tivoli sadly closing. Imagine another Johnny Kaw's will go in there, a movie theater version that only shows Marvel flicks.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:46 pm https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 2105458643

Tivoli sadly closing. Imagine another Johnny Kaw's will go in there, a movie theater version that only shows Marvel flicks.
Disappointing, but this feels like a great opportunity for a new independent theater elsewhere, a la Rag Tag in Columbia.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Will Screenland Crossroads be the only truely Indie/Art Focused theater left in KCMO? I think there are still a couple on the Kansas side
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

I was told that Jerry has been very sensitive about a new owner keeping the same film selections and mojo at the theater...hopefully, that's the way it'll turn out.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That is upsetting news. I go to the Tivoli the most of all area theaters.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Owner Of Kansas City's Tivoli Cinemas Says Friday Will Be Its Last Day

https://www.kcur.org/post/owner-kansas- ... y#stream/0

KC's oldest independent movie theater will close its curtains for good

http://tinyurl.com/yxlcylz8
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Man, I wonder if they wouldn't have been better sticking it out in the crossroads.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

FangKC wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:45 pm The Sundry at Plexpod has closed

https://www.thepitchkc.com/food-drink/b ... has-closed
It says another concept is going to go in, wonder what it could be. I could see something like Ruby Jeans go in there.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

No idea why anyone thinks retail or restaurant would work in that location with no storefront.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Visited the plexpod building at some point and didn't really notice what it was until someone pointed it out. Baffling retail spot
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:02 pm No idea why anyone thinks retail or restaurant would work in that location with no storefront.
But there’s so much parking! :lol:
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The old Thriftway near Westport/Main has some construction activity. Is it just prepping to lease or is there a tenant signed up?
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

earthling wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:11 pm The old Thriftway near Westport/Main has some construction activity. Is it just prepping to lease or is there a tenant signed up?
Last I had hear some sort of grocery store was moving in however the building was in worse shape than they thought.