Next Mayor 2019

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by chaglang »

kboish wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:07 pm
chaglang wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:20 pm It's strange that Kansas City is inarguably in the best shape it's been in decades and people are like "eff these bums at City Hall". The Star editorial seemed to penalize anyone who had a meaningful role at City Hall in the last 4 years.
I thought that was odd as well.

They need clicks and so want controversy.
There is also some misplaced blame by the Star. City staff have told me that the city was wholly unprepared for the downtown housing boom that has happened in the last 15 years. They have struggled to meet the demands presented by that. I would imagine that they were similarly unprepared for the public conversation about housing affordability to develop so quickly in the last year. Everyone here knows my feelings on the subject and the city’s failings, but I empathize with a City Hall that is trying to adapt itself to the most dramatic changes to KC in 50 years. I’m glad that the Star has adopted housing affordability as a favorite editorial topic, but their rhetoric is not always accurate, well articulated, or helpful. This mayoral editorial is an outgrowth of that.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It's not unprepared, it purposefully never prepared and in some places even ignored changes that were seen coming.

The constant insistence on doing studies over and over and never pulling the trigger on policy changes that other cities have proven are successful is a huge part of it. The insistence on tone deaf policies like the number of *deaths* being used to approve road changes.

The bike audit is a good example. The council said to put a certain amount for biking and public works didn't. The city was rightfully scathed for this and it has ended up playing catch up on about everything involving biking to the point that it did a nearly about face. Now it's getting a scathing review on funding parking garages.

The city auditor is showing teeth and nearly everything people have said needs to be done for 20+ years is being proven by the city itself.

Funkhowser did one thing that we have benefited from, he insisted on financial discipline by the city. I won't fault a no when it comes from that but we can't get 9 foot lanes instead of 10 foot lanes because no one is willing to change a status quo that the city wants changed.

The city needs to do a top to bottom review of how it does business from what's in every code through to who is approving what work is done.

Otherwise we end up with silly codes like 40-85, last updated in 1975, where a permit eventually costs less than the cost to issue it and no one cares.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Sure. Not preparing and being caught unprepared nets the same result.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Miller has been upping his text game the past week. I've gotten two from him, two from Justus, one from Cannady and one for "yes" on Question 1.

I have answered zero of them - so as not to encourage that behavior in the future.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Given this is the "close enough" thread - is anyone running an organized write-in campaign for the 2nd district at-large seat?

If so, they have my vote; if not - I'll just write in the name of <random Northlander who lives in that district>.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Who are you voting for in the at-large council races?
I'm a 4th district YIMBY, pro-density, pro-incentive (except for border-war poaching), pro-transit pro-bike/scooter/walk resident (aren't we all here sans johniematrix) voting Justus for mayer and Bunch for my in-district rep

6th-district at large: ANDREA BOUGH or STACEY JOHNSON-COSBY
5th-district at large: LEE BARNES, JR., ERIK DICKINSON, DWAYNE WILLIAMS
4th-district at large: ROBERT WESTFALL or Star-endorsed AUSTIN STRASSLE? (hell no to Shields)
3rd-district at large: BRANDON ELLINGTON or WALLACE HARTSFIELD, II
2nd-district at large: who should I write in to oppose Loar?

If you care to share, who are you voting for and why? Looking for recommendations, obviously.
Thanks
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Mayor: ???? Right now I'm debating between Justus, Lucas or Glynn.

4th: Bunch
2nd AL: probably won't vote for her on purpose. Put down the name "Wes Minder" if you must put one. He would hate to be on the council but he would be good at it.
3rd AL: Ellington because he has experience working with others
4th AL: Strassle
5th AL: ?
6th AL: ?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Strassle
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://medium.com/@JoshBoehm/what-i-le ... c667b2cf5e

A pretty good article on Jolie’s city walk, issues plaguing KC, and imho. why Jolie is the right person to run KC.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

6th-district at large: ANDREA BOUGH or STACEY JOHNSON-COSBY
5th-district at large: LEE BARNES, JR., ERIK DICKINSON, DWAYNE WILLIAMS
4th-district at large: ROBERT WESTFALL or Star-endorsed AUSTIN STRASSLE? (hell no to Shields)
3rd-district at large: BRANDON ELLINGTON or WALLACE HARTSFIELD, II
2nd-district at large: who should I write in to oppose Loar? You tell me and I'll vote for her/him.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

town cow wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:23 am 2nd-district at large: who should I write in to oppose Loar? You tell me and I'll vote for her/him.

https://twitter.com/DanielToast/status/ ... 9757589504
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

So glad for a temporary reprieve from all the mailers and robocalls and robotexts, especially since almost none of these candidates bothered to clean their lists down to people who actually live in KCMO and so can even vote for these people.

Hopefully whomever the two are that emerge from this mess do a better job of selecting their torture victims for the next round. I won't hold my breath.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

normalthings wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:30 pm https://medium.com/@JoshBoehm/what-i-le ... c667b2cf5e

A pretty good article on Jolie’s city walk, issues plaguing KC, and imho. why Jolie is the right person to run KC.
Hint politicians like Jolie are the ones plaguing the city.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

C'mon, John! A higher qualify of troll would be able to provide reasoning why in (at least) semi-coherent language *and* insult all the forum regulars in an somewhat amusing manner.

Don't you aspire to that level of trolldom? Be the all the troll you can be!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

When it comes down to it, we all know he doesn't have the game to do more than drive-bys.

It's really emblematic of the overall status of trolls on this board. He's no Pittsburghparoyal/Maitre'd.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

After experiencing the Funkhouser years, as well as someone in an unmentioned higher office, I think I'm fine with candidates having a political background.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

swid wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:19 pm C'mon, John! A higher qualify of troll would be able to provide reasoning why in (at least) semi-coherent language *and* insult all the forum regulars in an somewhat amusing manner.

Don't you aspire to that level of trolldom? Be the all the troll you can be!
She wants to run the city like James (handouts for businesses) while raising taxes on workers and families. Our sales tax is becoming out of control, meanwhile the streets continue to crumble and crime remains some of the highest. She is your status quo politician and lost all my respect when she backed out when Kander announced. That should tell you all you need to know about her "leadership".
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

WSPanic wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:32 pm When it comes down to it, we all know he doesn't have the game to do more than drive-bys.

It's really emblematic of the overall status of trolls on this board. He's no Pittsburghparoyal/Maitre'd.
Been posting here for awhile. Try again.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

johnmatrix wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:33 pm
WSPanic wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:32 pm When it comes down to it, we all know he doesn't have the game to do more than drive-bys.

Your first post was February 13.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

smh wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:40 pm
johnmatrix wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:33 pm

Your first post was February 13.
Which is hardly drive by posting. Anything to distract from your shitty candidate though.