Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by brewcrew1000 »

scooterj wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:45 am
WSPanic wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:44 pm Glad they had it too - because while their beer is good quality - you're either drinking a fruity/sour/champagne thing or a heavily hopped pale/IPA. For my personal taste, I'd like to see some of these new places actually craft a friggin' brown/amber ale that's not hopped to death - and maybe mix in a porter/stout. I find heavily hopped beers to be relatively unimpressive, unimaginitive and unenjoyable. /old man rant.
Totally agree. I love craft beer and I'll check this place out eventually, but I haven't been yet because sours and IPAs are too overdone and I just can't get myself excited about it. Meanwhile there's only a smattering of ambers/browns/porters/stouts being brewed here, though a couple of places have started to get very good at it.
City Barrel wants to imitate Side Project Brewing in St Louis more than anything. So except a lot of Sour, Wild Ale, Wine Aged Type Beers similar to Side Project. One of the owners was very fond of Side Project Brewing and wanted to bring that here

I would expect beers like this at City Barrel in the future - http://www.sideprojectbrewing.com/la-fosse
http://www.sideprojectbrewing.com/abricot-du-fermier
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Had lunch at City Barrel on Saturday. Impressed with the operation and the food was excellent. I drank wine.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I went in City Barrel on 1st Friday and luckily scored 2 seats at the bar. The place was packed. The bartender did a great job and our food came out quickly. The pork chop was indeed excellent. The beer was very good, too, although the names are ridiculous. I was blown away at how smoothly things were operating at full capacity so soon after opening. I think this place will do very well.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

The beer was very good, too, although the names are ridiculous
Ridic AF
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:08 am
The beer was very good, too, although the names are ridiculous
Ridic AF
+1.

We had to keep looking at the menu over and over. Wait, WTF was the Ahoy again?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They don't have the market cornered on obscure beer names
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The Cityscene article on the Hampton Inn mentions that a long-term deal was secured to provide parking in the lot to the south of the hotel between 16th and Nara. Does that realistically take that lot out of consideration for near-term development?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:12 am The Cityscene article on the Hampton Inn mentions that a long-term deal was secured to provide parking in the lot to the south of the hotel between 16th and Nara. Does that realistically take that lot out of consideration for near-term development?
It depends.

It's entirely possible to write a contract that allows them to buy it out or move where they park. The same owner has the large lot on the west side of Walnut in the same block and the two lots west of Main flanking 17th. I've seen plenty of examples where parking for hotels is a block away.

It's possible they could consolidate parking, put in a garage to share and build on every lot they own without breaking any contract.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Pirate's Bone plans to move into the space previously occupied by Brioche:
https://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/ ... 06b51.html
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

There's a plan in compass for a patio to be built on Tom's Town parking lot (1701 Main St)

No plans or attachments to know how big the patio will be...Would be nice to get rid of another tiny lot.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I just saw an announcement about a new bar planned at 120 W 17th called Oak & Steel. https://www.oakandsteelkc.com/ The owner is a local guy. If the address is right then that would make it the ground floor retail spot in the garage across from Webster House.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Better than "17th Street Drinkery".

Regards,
KCRag Name Critique Committee
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I have a consulting firm that will name your hipster business for you for $5,000. I have a set of about 500 rotating, currently precious words, and I use a sophisticated random number generator to combine two of them, ala Opal + Heart, Sage & Satchel, or Court and King.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Perfect.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

bobbyhawks wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:49 am I have a consulting firm that will name your hipster business for you for $5,000. I have a set of about 500 rotating, currently precious words, and I use a sophisticated random number generator to combine two of them, ala Opal + Heart, Sage & Satchel, or Court and King.
I must assume you have 15 words for the color blue.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I see more and more runners on Main Street all the time. It’s great to see renewed activity in the city, but it’s kind of awkward when trying to walk with someone else on the sidewalk and a crew of joggers comes barreling towards you. Has anyone thought about turning the alley between Main and Baltimore into a jogging trail? Is it still used for truck deliveries? Would need more lighting and proper running surface but could be a nice addition to DT.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

The alley between main and Baltimore is still very much active. Used by rieger, farina, extra virgin, offices, condos and apartments on my block alone
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I see more and more runners on Main Street all the time. It’s great to see renewed activity in the city, but it’s kind of awkward when trying to walk with someone else on the sidewalk and a crew of joggers comes barreling towards you. Has anyone thought about turning the alley between Main and Baltimore into a jogging trail? Is it still used for truck deliveries? Would need more lighting and proper running surface but could be a nice addition to DT.
Seems like as good a time as any to bring up the real need for a major urban core recreational path. Whether this is an extension of the existing and much beloved Trolley Track Trail or something else entirely. There is a nice little piece along the riverfront and over through the West Bottoms, a solid stretch along Brush Creek east/west, and some great singletrack in the wooded hills of Cliff Drive and Rosedale Park, but no central, accessible off-street path through the heart of the city.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

rxlexi wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:55 am Seems like as good a time as any to bring up the real need for a major urban core recreational path. Whether this is an extension of the existing and much beloved Trolley Track Trail or something else entirely. There is a nice little piece along the riverfront and over through the West Bottoms, a solid stretch along Brush Creek east/west, and some great singletrack in the wooded hills of Cliff Drive and Rosedale Park, but no central, accessible off-street path through the heart of the city.
I’d even take an on street stretch through Midtown. Have been asking councilpeople for years to connect TT to Penn Valley which already connects to the West Botoms and Riverfront. Can’t even get pedestrian crossings mid block Wyandotte for 39th, Armour and Linwood. Crazy dangerous to cross.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A wide recreation loop has always been a dream of mine downtown. Not that I would always use just that but I would be awesome.