Ambassador

OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by KCPowercat »

Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Post by Highlander »

Great news. I was half expecting an 11th hour lawsuit from one of KCI's devotees to put the project on ice for a while longer. Glad it's on its way.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Brief timeline

Ground broke for an airport in 1954 when TWA decided to move it's overhaul base here
The runway opened in 1956 and expanded in 1958
The TWA center opened in 1957
In 1963 the FAA recommended not spending more money on the downtown airport
In 1966 a vote passed to move the airport
TWA drove the design of the new airport
The existing terminals were demolished and the current airport opened in 1972
Security using metal detectors was implemented starting in 1973
TWA left in 1978
In 1987-89 the terminal A garage was built
In 1990 the terminal B garage opened
Asbestos abatement in 1995
In 1995 a terminal plan was released
In 1997-99 the terminal C garage was built
The most recent major renovation planning was begun in 1998 and completed in 2004
In 2009 a new south terminal concept was released
Terminal A closed in 2014
In 2012-2015 a new terminal was studied and recommended building new and not renovating again
The vote to build a new terminal passed in 2017
Construction began in 2019

So this will be the third time we have built new in 65 years
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Are you saying TWA had a commercial terminal there from 57 to 72?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:07 am Are you saying TWA had a commercial terminal there from 57 to 72?
Yes, the overhaul base. I got those dates from the 1995 master plan
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I think I recall this being said, but has there continued to be a future transit hub in the terminal siteplan designated for bus and (long term) rail connectivity? In the parking garage right?
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Ordinance 190027 Authorizing and directing the incurrence of a Senior Appropriation Obligation in the principal amount not to exceed $900,000,000.00 in order to evidence the agreement of the City of Kansas City, Missouri (the “City”) to make certain debt service and additional payments to The Industrial Development Authority of the City of Kansas City, Missouri (the “Authority”) in connection with the Authority’s issuance of bonds, the proceeds of which will be made available to the City to finance a portion of the costs of the construction of a new passenger terminal at Kansas City International Airport and related purposes as set forth herein

So this Ordinance approves an obligation for the City (i.e. the Taxpayers) to provide to the Industrial Authority $900 million (of our Dollars) so the Authority can issue bonds to raise cash that the Authority will then "lend" to the City so the City can make a start on the new Airport, which "the Airlines are going to pay for" right?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:14 pm I think I recall this being said, but has there continued to be a future transit hub in the terminal siteplan designated for bus and (long term) rail connectivity? In the parking garage right?
City buses will have a curb within the garage. There is space next to the garage for a future light rail or APM station.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Steve52 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:26 pm Ordinance 190027 Authorizing and directing the incurrence of a Senior Appropriation Obligation in the principal amount not to exceed $900,000,000.00 in order to evidence the agreement of the City of Kansas City, Missouri (the “City”) to make certain debt service and additional payments to The Industrial Development Authority of the City of Kansas City, Missouri (the “Authority”) in connection with the Authority’s issuance of bonds, the proceeds of which will be made available to the City to finance a portion of the costs of the construction of a new passenger terminal at Kansas City International Airport and related purposes as set forth herein

So this Ordinance approves an obligation for the City (i.e. the Taxpayers) to provide to the Industrial Authority $900 million (of our Dollars) so the Authority can issue bonds to raise cash that the Authority will then "lend" to the City so the City can make a start on the new Airport, which "the Airlines are going to pay for" right?
I think that “The City” is a term used to represent “Kansas City Aviation Department Corp.” The term sheet signed by the airlines and the city (KC Aviation) and other associated documents again state that the airlines not only pay for the terminal but also back the debt.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

What an uninspiring design. Truly a piece of crap based on the renderings.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

MidtownCat wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:57 pm What an uninspiring design. Truly a piece of crap based on the renderings.
1. Renderings NEVER show what a building will look like in the end.
2. Most people don’t look at how inspired an airport is, it’s how quickly they can get to the gate.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

We complain a lot here about building highways that incentivize expanded use. Can we not cut that garage in half and promote ride sharing and transit use? It’s probably going to be half full 95% of the time anyway.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:50 pm We complain a lot here about building highways that incentivize expanded use. Can we not cut that garage in half and promote ride sharing and transit use? It’s probably going to be half full 95% of the time anyway.
Parking is a huge source of revenue (and profit) for the airport. The current garages (B specifically) get full pretty often.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

flyingember wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:26 pm
MidtownCat wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:57 pm What an uninspiring design. Truly a piece of crap based on the renderings.

2. Most people don’t look at how inspired an airport is, it’s how quickly they can get to the gate.
Most people in KC maybe (probably not though). Most people who already complain about the new airport perhaps. I think most Americans want the airport to be a comfortable and ample space with options for plugging in their phones, eating, drinking, having a coffee and something other than squalid 1-stall restrooms.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

They just fucked up by putting out a rendering with a nice roof and water feature and then immediately cut them.

Those were the two fun design features everyone liked, and now it's just basic af.

I'm over it though. We never had the political will to do anything more than this. Just build the damn thing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We also don't have the airlines desire to make anything super nice for their customers (and hence spend the $$$) as nobody uses us for a hub.

I really did like the roof, sad to see it go. Since the roof went away though I've finally for the first time ever started looking up at other airport roofs. All pretty meh. I'm over it.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I too mourn the loss of the water and roof. The original design, while not the most inspiring to me (I think I liked AECOM's the best) was still far more interesting than the current plan.

HOWEVER

I see the airport like the convention hotel. They both could be more impressive, sure, but they still solve important and unique problems, and for that I remain happy with them. While somewhat underwhelming, they won't be bad buildings. KCI will have more natural light and better organization, and that's a big win regardless
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Hasn't helped that their interior renderings have been complete trash too.

I think people would be more responsive if they were like we cut this for that. But pretty much everything looks cheap.

Maybe now that they're getting paid they can actually show something.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:58 pm I too mourn the loss of the water and roof. The original design, while not the most inspiring to me (I think I liked AECOM's the best) was still far more interesting than the current plan.

HOWEVER

I see the airport like the convention hotel. They both could be more impressive, sure, but they still solve important and unique problems, and for that I remain happy with them. While somewhat underwhelming, they won't be bad buildings. KCI will have more natural light and better organization, and that's a big win regardless
AECOM (and BM) would have been value engineered into looking similar to what’s actualy happening.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

normalthings wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:25 pmAECOM (and BM) would have been value engineered into looking similar to what’s actualy happening.
True :(