Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Midtown Area Apartment Boom

Post by johnmatrix »

kboish wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:37 am There is a similarly sized apartment building being contemplated directly east of 47 Madison on the parking lot.
The parking lot behind the bank? Doesnt seem like there would be enough space?
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

johnmatrix wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:55 am
kboish wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:37 am There is a similarly sized apartment building being contemplated directly east of 47 Madison on the parking lot.
Agreed, that would be tight quarters, although North to South it is longer than you would think since you normally just pass by it at speed. At one point I thought there was talk of a Roasterie drive through getting tucked into that spot.

Regarding 47 Madison, I've heard from the architect that the $/sq ft for that tower was enough to at least give them pause before proceeding. My take is that they will wait on it, finish their other plaza area project first, and pick it back up at some point when they get more comfortable with the market. With that curve in the glass I'm sure it is more expensive per unit than the power and light buildings.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

jasty5 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:50 pm
johnmatrix wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:55 am
Agreed, that would be tight quarters, although North to South it is longer than you would think since you normally just pass by it at speed. At one point I thought there was talk of a Roasterie drive through getting tucked into that spot.

Regarding 47 Madison, I've heard from the architect that the $/sq ft for that tower was enough to at least give them pause before proceeding. My take is that they will wait on it, finish their other plaza area project first, and pick it back up at some point when they get more comfortable with the market. With that curve in the glass I'm sure it is more expensive per unit than the power and light buildings.
Ah that's too bad there is a pause. That looks like some beautiful architecture.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Side note. Fox 47 is the local affiliate in Madison, WI.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

47 madison may not be technically competing directly with the Tudors townhomes, but they are right near by. Completion of both would be a lot of $1m+ inventory coming online.

Hope the delay is not too long.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

On the agenda for the PIEA meeting on March 21st is the following item:
Resolution approving a Letter of Engagement for the proposed Proactive Midtown Housing PIEA Plan.
Here is a map of the area:

I don't think it is a coincidence that you can see the streetcar extension in blue, with stars placed at the stops. I'm not sure what exactly this is about, but it looks like they may be working to create an incentive zone for residential development along the streetcar extension in MIdtown.
kcmiz
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcmiz »

Serious question, what's with the gerrymandering (e.g. Home Depot/Costco development, PVCC, western Westport)?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

kcmiz wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:13 pm Serious question, what's with the gerrymandering (e.g. Home Depot/Costco development, PVCC, western Westport)?
The NW little bit looks to grab the garage next to 1 Park Place. There has been discussion about that garage being sold to a developer to build on top of or next to. So, it appears they want influence over what goes there. PVCC and Midtown Marketplace aren’t included because they don’t seem to consider them an area where residential buildings will ever be built. I’d disagree, however.
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcmiz
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcmiz »

Agree 100% Midtown Marketplace should be considered for TOD. For phase 1, scrap the suburban pads on the perimeter and some of the parking lots with maybe med to high rise residential over retail on Main and/or townhouses on Linwood. Leave the Costco and Home Depot for now. In 10 to 15 years, redevelop the big boxes once they no longer serve the needs of the neighborhood and restore the grid to the super-block.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I don't know what this plan is about, but if this is a housing plan, why WOULD businesses like the Sunfresh center, PVCC and Home Depot/Costco be included?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kcjak wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:49 am I don't know what this plan is about, but if this is a housing plan, why WOULD businesses like the Sunfresh center, PVCC and Home Depot/Costco be included?
(large) parking lots = underutilized space for development
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I read an article recently that described vacant lots and surface parking as squandered land.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

There may be something in the language that created the Costco/HD shopping center that would preclude them brim being included in something like this. The city may also not want to incentivize redevelopment on a parcel that is funding the RAMP program. Or they may not want to direct resources to a parcel that has already received a massive amount of resources - tho I don’t know why Sun Fresh wouldn’t be in that same boat.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I believe these have been mentioned elsewhere, but I can't find the thread. The 3 townhouses being built on the 3400 block of Wyandotte have been listed for sale (actually only seeing 2 listings at this point).

$272k seems pretty reasonable for new construction, although these are on the small side.

Does anyone know what is going on with the nearby townhouse development proposal for the L-shaped lot at 34th and Wyandotte/Baltimore?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:36 am I believe these have been mentioned elsewhere, but I can't find the thread. The 3 townhouses being built on the 3400 block of Wyandotte have been listed for sale (actually only seeing 2 listings at this point).

$272k seems pretty reasonable for new construction, although these are on the small side.
That's quite high.

Our house is 2017 construction and was appraised mid 2018 at $149/sq foot.
These are selling $209 per sq ft

They should be closer to $235k
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It seems reasonable compared to other recent townhouse developments in the Midtown/Plaza area. The Tudors are starting in the upper $800s (I know, those are "luxury", larger, and going after a whole different bracket). I believe the townhouses across the Tudors built a couple years ago were around $450k. The ones at 27th and Campbell went around $290k and they are similarly sized. I would think this location on Wyandotte (especially with the streetcar coming) would command more than 27th St. I don't really see anywhere in the urban core that you can buy a new construction townhouse or detached home for under $270k.

I updated the original post in this thread. Added the new 25th and Troost project, MAC's Red Cross building project. Moved the north Plaza Hotel project to dead, as they have removed the apartment component. Updated a couple renderings and changed unit totals. Moved the MGE project out of the dead zone. I think that is a lesson in how a project might go quiet for a long time, but is still in the works.

There are a number of projects that have gone quiet and might be stalled, but I'm not prepared to say they are dead. Pulse's developments - Mirabelle Phase 2, The Artisan, Westport Manor - have all gone quiet. Anyone know what is going on with the 3260 Main and West 39th buildings? I thought those would have broken ground by now. Haven't head anything about the Dylan recently, but I found a website for it. It sounds like the developer might be looking for more investors/funding. There is a document dated from August 2018 on the website, so we know it has been alive at least as recently as then:
https://thedylanat4711.com/
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Yes, these types of buildings are in high demand in the city, less so in the burbs.

Also, appraised value doesn't always translate to the current market prices.
mykn

Post by mykn »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:36 am Does anyone know what is going on with the nearby townhouse development proposal for the L-shaped lot at 34th and Wyandotte/Baltimore?
No clue. I was in pretty regular contact with the architect about a year ago and they had gotten all the sign offs from the city the last I heard and I haven’t heard anything from them since. Wish they would start up on it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

You see older versions like those townhouses above in cities and towns all over the east coast.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9973168 ... 6656?hl=en
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

It looks like construction has fully started on Midtown Plaza. They’ve remove a section of the precast side to begin demo of the interior.