Union Hill Development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Union Hill Development

Post by chrizow »

i think the logistics of those storefronts present a bit of a challenge--or the perception of a challenge--being set up high off the street, on a fast street, in a zone with a lot of construction. unless you live right there within walking distance it seems like kind of a PITA to stop and go in.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Agreed. Maybe the end of construction might help. Not to mention all the new customers.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Has not been any construction in area in years, unless you are counting Gallerie 2 long blocks away. Almost always street parking available right in front of building. Developer gave both the wine shop and cafe bargain rent just to get spaces occupied.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Would be nice to see that stretch of Gillham go through a road diet, with diagonal parking spaces along the west side in front of the Union Hill retail.

I think that would A) provide additional, visible parking right directly in front of the retail, B) make clear that there is in fact a significant retail presence along that strip and C) slow traffic through that corridor, especially as all the commuters head south at rush hour.

Also, additional retail along that stretch would help to again make it more visible, emphasize that this is a mixed-use node, not just apartments, and draw a more diverse group of customers. Hope we get there with time as Union Hill is really starting to come together.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

rxlexi wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:07 am Would be nice to see that stretch of Gillham go through a road diet, with diagonal parking spaces along the west side in front of the Union Hill retail.

I think that would A) provide additional, visible parking right directly in front of the retail, B) make clear that there is in fact a significant retail presence along that strip and C) slow traffic through that corridor, especially as all the commuters head south at rush hour.

Also, additional retail along that stretch would help to again make it more visible, emphasize that this is a mixed-use node, not just apartments, and draw a more diverse group of customers. Hope we get there with time as Union Hill is really starting to come together.
I know its off topic and I think i mentioned it before but seriously all of our roads in KC could use a road diet. Force People working downtown but living in Brookside/Waldo and Fairway/Mission Hills area to take 35 and 71, so sick of people using Main, Broadway, SW Trafficway, Troost, Gilham as a cut thru to other parts of the city. If brookside can get traffic calming, why can't midtown?
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

^A road diet is already planned for all of Gillham. Looks like that area will have a cycletrack on the east and the street parking on the west will stay as it is. http://kcmo.gov/publicworks/gillhambikestudy/ (Chapter 9, page 3 of the final report)
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I do think that stretch of Gillham flies under the radar. I have had several occasions where I have had people meet me and the Filling Station and they expressed that they didn't know that area existed.

If Milhaus/UC-B exercise their option on the remaining land south of Gallerie, and 31 Levy ever happens, then you would have a pretty nice continuous stretch from 31st to Crown Center that should draw more attention to the area.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

And if properties along 31st toward Troost were redeveloped, that whole area would become one of the best urban stretches we have. It'd be almost like we were a real city
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Cafe Europa has closed and gone out of business.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

A shame. I picked up lemon cake more than once--but I could never really understand the vibe of Cafe Europa.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Is that only the Union Hill location?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

taxi wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:25 am Is that only the Union Hill location?
Website says just Union Hill has closed. Interesting because as of 3/28 they were looking for a barista at Union Hill.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It looks like a new concept is coming
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

No new concept brewing. Just a for rent sign and a complete and ready to go restaurant set up. Probably a great rental deal as developer is desperate to get a tenant.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I went in a few weeks ago to grab some dessert-to-go on a Saturday night at 8pm and no one was in there.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:12 pm I went in a few weeks ago to grab some dessert-to-go on a Saturday night at 8pm and no one was in there.
The food was good, but the place never seemed to click.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

KC Barbell Fitness coming in to UC-B "Barn" across from Gallerie.
https://uc-bproperties.com/property/bus-barn/
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... 3bad261343
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Seemed like a really pleasant place for a restaurant.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Oh Cafe opening late winter/early spring in former Cafe Europa space. Same owners as the Opera House in River Market.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Sounds like a good fit. And Opera House eats are above average, most items anyway. Hopefully they can improve the sterile atmosphere of the place though something different than OH.