North Plaza Hotel- 46th and Broadway

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: North Plaza Hotel- 46th and Broadway

Post by chaglang »

That rendering is 3+ years old. Is that what was shown at PZE?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I don't think there were any renderings presented. Based on what the condo owners said, it sounds like that initial plan has been scrapped- which is why they want a new approval for the new buildings. The new owners of course think they "substantially comply" with the terms of the previously approved plan and incentives. I can't remember how it ended, but I think the developer is supposed to talk with the neighbors about their plans and then go back to committee. Shields is heavily involved again.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

I just dont understand why people are against skyscrappers on the plaza
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

johnmatrix wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:41 pm I just dont understand why people are against skyscrappers on the plaza
They're against anything that blocks their views - Parkway Tower residents lead the way on that front.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The new plans for this project are in Compass.

The residential portion has indeed been changed to a second hotel.

Hotel 1, the southeastern building, will be full service, 175 rooms.

Hotel 2 will be select service, 130 rooms.

Comparing the "Project Programming" breakdown to the floor plans shown, I do see some conflicting info. The programming lists 2,800 sq ft bank/retail, but the floor plan shows 2 retail spaces (on the SE corner), one with 1,537 sq ft (presumably a bank with a drive through) and another retail space with 2,500 sq ft.

The programming lists 4,350 sq ft food and beverage, but the floor plan shows 4,707 sq ft (plus covered outdoor deck and kitchen space not included). This looks like it will be the hotel bar/restaurant. The floor plan also shows 8,185 sq ft for a "3rd party signature restaurant" that doesn't appear to be listed in the programming.

The project also included 10,000 sq ft "speculative space".

johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:03 am The new plans for this project are in Compass.

Comparing the "Project Programming" breakdown to the floor plans shown, I do see some conflicting info. The programming lists 2,800 sq ft bank/retail, but the floor plan shows 2 retail spaces (on the SE corner), one with 1,537 sq ft (presumably a bank with a drive through) and another retail space with 2,500 sq ft.

The programming lists 4,350 sq ft food and beverage, but the floor plan shows 4,707 sq ft (plus covered outdoor deck and kitchen space not included). This looks like it will be the hotel bar/restaurant. The floor plan also shows 8,185 sq ft for a "3rd party signature restaurant" that doesn't appear to be listed in the programming.

I'm trying to think where this is exactly. Would part of it be where Chuys and the massage place are currently at?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Hotel 1 is where the Commerce Bank with drive through is located. Hotel 2 is a vacant lot and parking lot.

It shares the block/wraps around the Residence Inn.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Nice infill project for a very underutilized block.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

YOURE DESTROYING THE PLAZAS CHARACTER !1!!!!1

/s
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:03 am The new plans for this project are in Compass.

Wonder what the hotel flags will be?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I don't see any indication of the flags - not sue if the developer even knows. It seems likely that it would be two brands under the same company.

Since there was previously a plan for a north Plaza Hyatt, I think Hotel 1 being Hyatt Regency and Hotel 2 being Hyatt Place could be a good guess.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:21 am I don't see any indication of the flags - not sue if the developer even knows. It seems likely that it would be two brands under the same company.

Since there was previously a plan for a north Plaza Hyatt, I think Hotel 1 being Hyatt Regency and Hotel 2 being Hyatt Place could be a good guess.
175 rooms seems a little small for a Hyatt Regency, no? Maybe more of just a 'regular' Hyatt - I remember they were looking at the property around 46th/Jefferson a few years ago. Maybe more of a Hilton and one of the lower-end properties? Wonder how the Plaza Towers residents feel about this now?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Its odd that these designs resemble very much the old vacant medical building directly across the street.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Plaza Hotel Proposal Revived, Seven-Story Project at 46th and Wornall
The revised proposal pitched by a group called Country Club Lodging LLC calls for two, approximately seven-story buildings accommodating 304 rooms to be built on the block southwest of 46th Street and Wornall Road.

The 265,150 square-foot project would use about two-thirds of the block, which is currently occupied by a Commerce Bank branch and vacant land. It would face Wornall, West 46th Terrace and West 46th Street.

A previous plan for the same 1.5-acre site proposed by NorthPoint Development and GEM Holdings called for 175 hotel rooms and 132 apartments. It was approved by the Kansas City Council in May 2016 but never moved forward.

The new “Plaza Hotel” proposal scraps the apartment component and increases the size of the hotel. It also includes space for a new bank drive-thru branch and a 412-space garage.
https://cityscenekc.com/plaza-hotel-pr ... 1kzq1b2n4M
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Kansas City Business Journal Article today states that it will be one of the Marriott brands.
Located at 46th and Wornall streets in the northern portion of the Plaza, the project would include two hotels, both of which will operate under the Marriott flag, as well as a Commerce Bank with a drive-thru, and ground-level restaurants and retail. The L-shaped tract currently holds an empty lot and and an existing Commerce Bank office, which would be razed and replaced.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

LCDSI wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:20 pm Kansas City Business Journal Article today states that it will be one of the Marriott brands.
Located at 46th and Wornall streets in the northern portion of the Plaza, the project would include two hotels, both of which will operate under the Marriott flag, as well as a Commerce Bank with a drive-thru, and ground-level restaurants and retail. The L-shaped tract currently holds an empty lot and and an existing Commerce Bank office, which would be razed and replaced.
If I count correctly, Marriott has seven flagged hotels in the Plaza area (if you include the AC in Westport). I'd have to laugh if the Plaza Towers folks ended up with a shitty, lower-end brand after all of their push back.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The authorization of bonds for this project is on the agenda for the Finance, Governance, and Public Safety committee meeting on Wednesday:
Approving an Amended and Restated Industrial Development Plan for Country Club Lodging, LLC and CCL Parking, LLC for the purpose of acquiring and constructing a project for industrial development consisting of a service facility which provides interstate commerce, consisting of two hotels and related parking facilities, to be located on the south side of West 46th Street, between Broadway and Wornall Road in Kansas City, Missouri; authorizing and approving various agreements for the purpose of setting forth covenants, agreements and obligations of the City and Country Club Lodging, LLC and CCL Parking, LLC or the affiliate or designee of either of them; authorizing the issuance of taxable industrial revenue bonds in a maximum aggregate principal amount not to exceed $80,000,000.00; authorizing and approving certain other documents; and authorizing certain other actions in connection with the issuance of said bonds.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Haha the insanity continues.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC committee approves plans for two Plaza-area hotels

The city's Finance, Governance and Public Safety Committee approved a financing agreement and amended industrial redevelopment plan Wednesday, which will head to the City Council for final approval.

The development is on the south side of West 46th Street between Broadway Street and Wornall Road. Plans call for a 175-room and 138-room hotel, an underground parking garage and 19,000-square-feet of retail space, Fox 4 reports. Each hotel will be about 100 feet tall, which had raised concerns with area neighbors. However, a compromise is that the buildings will step down with the site's incline.
The project will feature an Aloft Hotel by Marriott and a Tribute Hotel. Both hotels are expected to open in 2021.
https://tinyurl.com/y4mr5ntn
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:38 am Each hotel will be about 100 feet tall, which had raised concerns with area neighbors. However, a compromise is that the buildings will step down with the site's incline.
Missing in the details is if they'll step down in the direction of the neighbors with the complaints.

Because this reads to me it will step down to follow the current incline and there's mainly office neighbors that direction,