Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Troost developments

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

chaglang wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:28 pm That building at 27th is nice looking in person. If the proposed development at 26th happens, the east side of Troost from 24th-27th will be completely filled in. Amazing.
Any word on a tenant for that corner at 27th?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I haven't heard anything.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

I thought I read it was going to be a grocery store, but can't find anything confirming it.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Maybe a bodega type of grocery store. It's not a big space.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

nickyrosstheboss wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:39 pm I thought I read it was going to be a grocery store, but can't find anything confirming it.
There was a full-service grocery store planned for that site quite a while ago, but that plan died (somewhat in response to the new Sunfresh at Linwood and Prospect).

UCB/Milhaus has said they would like a "market" tenant, but I don't think anyone has been signed up.

Botwin has official pulled out of developing the SW and SE corners of 27th and Troost and the LCRA is going to put out a new RFP.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That's a shame. I wonder how much the city pushing them to acquire the property to the south of the northwest parcel factored into this. Last I heard they were having difficulty even finding the owner.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It is probably for the best that they are moving on. Better than letting it stagnate indefinitely.

Also, this type of development doesn't really seem in Botwin's wheelhouse. There is probably a better fit out there.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It may take some time to acquire that property. For all we know, the owner has died, and might not have immediate family. It may take the taxes not being paid on it for several years before it ends up in the Land Bank. That property has numerous property code violations going back years.

The best outcome I can see is that the property directly to the south, and the parcel on the southwest corner of 27th and Troost, be combined with the apartment building and parking lot further to the south. A larger apartment building could be constructed and parking pushed to the back of all the combined parcels.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The last I heard, the general idea was to build on the street edge of Troost and 27th and put the parking in back, with access off of 27th. I think it would have worked without the extra parcel. It's a little frustrating that the redevelopment of both of the south corners got hung up on this other property. Even if Botwin wasn't a good fit, there's no guarantee that someone else will be able to acquire that property.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It looks like UCB has a tenant lined up for the Firehouse on Troost. I haven't heard who it is, but the change of zoning request has the potential to be a restaurant.

In other UCB news, they are in the process of selling their apartment developments on 36th and Gillham and 63rd and Holmes to Lane4. I wonder if there is any significance to this. It seems like they have always held on to their other developments/rental properties. Perhaps they have some new projects in the works for which they need some cash/liquidity. I guess they do already have a good amount currently going on - Brookside East just started, the La Quinta in Beacon Hill, Linwood and Troost starting in the spring, Scholar Row just finishing up, all the new construction SFHs in Beacon Hill, Manheim Park, etc.

The body shop just to the north of the Firehouse (which often looked more like a salvage yard) has been completely cleared out. I wonder if it has been sold, or is going to be put on the market. There are a lot of properties prime for redevelopment around that stretch of Troost that are currently on the market, including the former auto shop to the south of the Firehouse and a couple of used car lots a block to the north. With UCB having their offices right by these properties, you would think they would be a good candidate for development.

That stretch of Troost seems to be one of the only areas that doesn't have any significant projects in the works. It seems like it could be prime for a large, transformative, multi-phase project, something similar to MAC's four corners of Armour and Troost.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

On the agenda for the PIEA meeting on March 21st is the authorization of a blight study and development plan for The Landing.

I don't see any indication of what might be in the development plan. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wbhjrs6wdmww ... -12-19.pdf
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KC developer eyes Troost's indoor mall for next redevelopment project
The property known as the New Landing Mall, a 220,000-square-foot complex at the intersection of 63rd Street and Troost Avenue, may see new life as a developer looks to see what is possible with the property.

Sunflower Development Group has the property under contract, and the Planned Industrial Expansion Authority approved a request by the developer Thursday to create a qualification analysis and general development plan for a potential PIEA area designation.
Chris Vukas, director of economic development for Sunflower, said the 12-acre property is currently 70 percent occupied, but some of those tenants, like payday lenders, are not ideal long-term tenants. He said they have not decided on a specific plan for redeveloping the mall, but are looking at several options, including bringing it back to its previous life as an outdoor shopping center or potential multifamily uses on the property.
http://tinyurl.com/y2d6sllm
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I hope this does not get a historic designation. I'd rather see this completely redeveloped with a more urban design. Otherwise its fantastic that this property is viable for a redevelopment.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I saw these images posted on Facebook under Local Kansas City History Buffs. There was a nightclub called Coco-Nut Grove on the SW corner of 27th and Troost in that building that was recently demolished.

Feb. 10, 1935

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:36 am
FangKC wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:23 pm Update on construction progress of the new hotel on the NE corner of E. 24th and Troost.

Looking northeast.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Milhaus development looking north on Troost -- from 27th Street.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Progress on the Milhaus development. Looking north from 27th Street at the back side of new apartments that will face Forest Court.

Apartments facing Forest Court just north of 27th Street. Looking southwest from Forest Court.

Looking west from Forest Court.

Looking southwest from Forest Court.

Looking west.

Looking south down Forest Court towards 27th Street.

KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:56 pm The body shop just to the north of the Firehouse (which often looked more like a salvage yard) has been completely cleared out. I wonder if it has been sold, or is going to be put on the market.
Here we go:

108 units, plus retail/restaurant.
Phase 1 is the building south of the firehouse, Phase 2 is to the north.

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... e8a952db1f
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I'll allow it.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

smh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:27 pmI'll allow it.
So noted.