OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:02 pm https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 65855.html

Council holds both Strata office tower on Five Light and 3rd & Grand office building. Also, Quinton Lucas voted against them and lost my vote for mayor.
Not sure it matters. I don't get why they are trying to fast track it through the approval process when they don't even plan to break ground until the Fall 2019. If would be one thing if they planned a Spring ground breaking.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

Is it just me or does Lucas seem to be getting super snippy on Twitter toward anyone that questions him on policy? Especially with this and the affordable housing trust fund.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

presumably there is value in progressing through council approval when it comes to securing tenants in advance.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

Yeah, I'm sure potential tenants don't want to languish in uncertainty like Cordish when the council goobered up the Three Light negotiations. That shit was supposed to break ground in October.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:27 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:02 pm https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 65855.html

Council holds both Strata office tower on Five Light and 3rd & Grand office building. Also, Quinton Lucas voted against them and lost my vote for mayor.
Not sure it matters. I don't get why they are trying to fast track it through the approval process when they don't even plan to break ground until the Fall 2019. If would be one thing if they planned a Spring ground breaking.
This is just approval to begin making a deal...which would then need to come back and be approved, plus other hurdles. Still a long way to go.
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

Why do they name all them buildings Light? It is getting real old. Why not mix it up, like Sky, or Earth.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Darlene wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:08 pm Why do they name all them buildings Light? It is getting real old. Why not mix it up, like Sky, or Earth.
I finally agree with you on something here. I guess Cordish is just lazy but this specific tower will be called "Strata" which Is a welcome change from "Light".
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Threads merged and renamed.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Not sure if this includes anything new, but this description is on BNIM's website.
Strata is 260,000 square feet and 16 stories of environmentally responsible, energy efficient, high-performance office design. This Class A Office Building takes advantage of an urban infill site currently occupied by 2 stories of retail. The office building will begin 115 feet above street level at a unique outdoor roof terrace above the existing retail space and a new 750 stall parking garage. Each office floor showcases flexible areas allowing views of the city through ultra-clear, floor to ceiling glass and character-defining sunshades that optimize daylight. Interior atriums allow full connectivity for multi-level tenants. Each atrium is carefully co-located with access to balconies and vertical outdoor gardens. Located in the heart of downtown, Strata has convenient access to everything great about Kansas City.
Their website also says, if you create a volume brochure, that construction is estimated to be completed in 2022.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:44 pm Not sure if this includes anything new, but this description is on BNIM's website.
Strata is 260,000 square feet and 16 stories of environmentally responsible, energy efficient, high-performance office design. This Class A Office Building takes advantage of an urban infill site currently occupied by 2 stories of retail. The office building will begin 115 feet above street level at a unique outdoor roof terrace above the existing retail space and a new 750 stall parking garage. Each office floor showcases flexible areas allowing views of the city through ultra-clear, floor to ceiling glass and character-defining sunshades that optimize daylight. Interior atriums allow full connectivity for multi-level tenants. Each atrium is carefully co-located with access to balconies and vertical outdoor gardens. Located in the heart of downtown, Strata has convenient access to everything great about Kansas City.
Their website also says, if you create a volume brochure, that construction is estimated to be completed in 2022.
Great catch.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Talked to one of BNIM founding partners wives. Says this is most excited he is about any project since he designed KC Place.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Copaken now has a page dedicated to the Strata tower. Looking forward to seeing this be part of the skyline.

https://www.copaken-brooks.com/our-properties/strata/
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Let's hope this is just the beginning. We need something that really alters the skyline profile like the 80s towers did.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:31 pm Let's hope this is just the beginning. We need something that really alters the skyline profile like the 80s towers did.
completely agree.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:31 pm Let's hope this is just the beginning. We need something that really alters the skyline profile like the 80s towers did.
Disagree. Just fill the fucking parking lots.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:25 pmDisagree. Just fill the fucking parking lots.
We need some height though. No reason some of those lots can't have tall buildings on them. Especially in the middle of the loop.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

We need residents, employers, and jobs to fill those new buildings.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't know why we need height?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:52 pm I don't know why we need height?
Density? I thought that's what this forum was all about.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Guess I'd take 19 10 story buildings over 1 100 one is what I was thinking