Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by normalthings »

Would have liked to have seen a new guest tower similar in height to the neighboring buildings. Nevertheless, this is still another exciting project coming about along the soon to be expanded streetcar route.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

My concern is how long Kimpton, as a premier operator, will find KC an attractive location. Ritz Carlton didn't last long. It seems something didn't pan out for them.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

It was a Ritz Carlton for ten years - that seems pretty long to me, especially given the market size and location during the 90s. Anywho, KC is a much different place than it was back then and the location is pretty sweet (near Plaza and museums, on streetcar line) compared to other high end boutique hotels.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

This hotel is sort of an historic property. It was the very first hotel "on" the Plaza. It marks the begining of the transition from neighborhood/upscale shopping and apartment area into a second downtown. There were no hotels on the plaza then, most office was the upstairs of the shops. The John Hancock Bldng at 47th & Madison was about the largest office. To the north was the hilltop Wishbone restaurant and across the street was Cousins furniture with a large surface lot on Main. The store was one floor on Main and 3 or 4 levels below that to old streetcar track level. The locally famous Kona Kai was in the hotel, it out-Tiki'd the future Trader Vic's by an islands worth.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

moderne wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:01 pm This hotel is sort of an historic property. It was the very first hotel "on" the Plaza. It marks the begining of the transition from neighborhood/upscale shopping and apartment area into a second downtown. There were no hotels on the plaza then, most office was the upstairs of the shops. The John Hancock Bldng at 47th & Madison was about the largest office. To the north was the hilltop Wishbone restaurant and across the street was Cousins furniture with a large surface lot on Main. The store was one floor on Main and 3 or 4 levels below that to old streetcar track level. The locally famous Kona Kai was in the hotel, it out-Tiki'd the future Trader Vic's by an islands worth.
I would have guessed the Alameda was older, but I guess this beat it by 5 years (opened in '67).
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Nordstrom Design Breaks Plaza Tradition, Wins Plan Commission Support
The City Plan Commission unanimously backed the style of the 122,000 square-foot store which was described by the co-owner of the Plaza, the Taubman company, as a “once in a generation opportunity” to pump new retail life into the iconic shopping district.
The Plan Commission recommendation will now go to the City Council for final consideration.
In their report to the City Plan Commission, city planners said they were comfortable with how the new store’s design would fit with the historic Spanish-style that dominates the Plaza.

“The two-story modern structure draws from the color palette of the Plaza but is otherwise more modern, including a curving façade along Jefferson Street primarily consisting of glass, textured metal panels, and architectural panels made of composite material with horizontal color banding,” according to staff.

“Staff feels that a purposeful streetscape along 47th Street which includes in its design stylistic features such as streetlight fixtures, brick pavers, and other place-making elements throughout the district…
https://cityscenekc.com/nordstrom-desig ... 4g8WmzkF5c
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I hope KC gives Nordstrom the Seasons 52 treatment. This is a completely lazy design.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^I might be the most critical of minimalism on this site (90% minimalism simply end ups looking cheap) but this could work, and certainly better than the current garage structure look given the sidewalk window display streetfront. However I do agree they still should propose another option more inline with 'Plaza' aesthetics.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

You can do a lot of nice decorative design simply using colored brick and colored panels, with some custom terra cotta tiles.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

^If the construction budget supports that and the client wants it.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Just spent a large amount of time on the Plaza over Christmas. I have to say that I was a bit impressed. Way fewer empty storefronts than expected and much larger crowds in the week preceding Christmas than I remember from last year. That's not to say the mix of stores was optimal (I would have like to have seen Eddie Bauer and a few others that left remain), but it was much better than expected. It was at night when things really were busy - we struggled to find a place to park for our one dinner on the plaza over the holidays. I think the mix of restaurants with the new Nordstroms will breathe some new life into the district. I really liked KC Marketplace. I spent some time there trying out a variety of KC spirits and beers. Nice store.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I really liked KC Marketplace. I spent some time there trying out a variety of KC spirits and beers. Nice store.
Yes, I agree that Made in KC Marketplace is a hit; better than expected. Nice atmosphere, particularly around Christmas, and the bar area is a surprisingly decent hang-out spot with guests. Love the "only local" brew and spirit selection.

Was pleased to have a Crane Beet Weiss draft there before the holidays - not easy to find on tap around town. Spirits tasters are fun as well with the back to back to back sample of local distilleries. I think the location near the center of the Plaza helps too.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:20 pm
I really liked KC Marketplace. I spent some time there trying out a variety of KC spirits and beers. Nice store.
Yes, I agree that Made in KC Marketplace is a hit; better than expected. Nice atmosphere, particularly around Christmas, and the bar area is a surprisingly decent hang-out spot with guests. Love the "only local" brew and spirit selection.

Was pleased to have a Crane Beet Weiss draft there before the holidays - not easy to find on tap around town. Spirits tasters are fun as well with the back to back to back sample of local distilleries. I think the location near the center of the Plaza helps too.
I might also add that Made in KC features nice, free restrooms. A welcome feature.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:20 pm

I tried the Crane Beet Weiss. I expected a beet flavor but not anything so overwhelming. Yikes.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

If they land an Orange Julius, I'm moving to The Plaza.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

I was seriously hoping mgsports was going to post that new move in.....it would have been so fitting
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

This is more like the facade that the Plaza deserves for the new Nordstroms. Imagine seeing that at the end of Nichols Road. :shock:
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

hartliss wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:21 am Cinnabon on its way: https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 25765.html
Lol. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now we just need a Spencer’s Gifts and the Metcalf South transformation will be complete.

Looks like Byron’s is shutting down as well. Maybe we can get a laser tag or something in there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Maybe something useful for the neighborhood will move in..... Like a pharmacy