beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: beer.

Post by bobbyhawks »

WSPanic wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:31 pm There was a wine store in the River Market that had beer in the basement and you could do mix/match six packs.

I think you can do that at World Market.

I'm guessing liquor stores don't want to micromanage their inventory like that if they can avoid it. I'm sure it would be popular, but not sure it would be worth the extra hassle. You'd think automation and technology would have solved this by now, but it's not like independent liquor stores have complicated POS systems with inventory management (like a World Market would).
Cellar and Loft. They had such a nice community-oriented model going, selling super cheap pizzas and small bites to bring people in, and a very heavy focus on driving people to the wine clubs (their standard prices were not great without club discount). The mix and match beer was a cool touch. I believe they had some medical issues with one of the owners and had to immediately close down the downtown location (still open in Kearney). On the plus side of that closure, my wife and I found out about the great wine club at Cellar Rat.

I'd think a nice liquor store or set of stores (beer/wine/spirits) in the RM would do really well as a counter to the random basics places around, esp. if placed near the new Local Pig. I'd heard a rumor a long time ago that the owner of Mike's was trying to get something going downtown, but with the move to asking for local liquor delivery, maybe that is what he had in mind.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Shout out to Underdog in Union Hill, offering a nice curated beer selection in addition to a compelling liquor lineup and excellent wines.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Cosentino's has a small bottle cooler where you can make your own six-pack. Its stock is rotated enough that I can get a six-pack of new beers, or ones that I haven't had in a while once a month or so.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I was looking up a liquor license and noticed a new application for Alma Mader Brewing & Taproom at 2635 Southwest Boulevard. It's in consent phase right now and it looks like several of the residents in the area are angry about it, citing the smell of mash and the increased traffic & bad driving on residential streets from visitors to Boulevard and the Roasterie. (Though, in this case, there would be no reason for additional traffic on residential streets since this is a warehouse building fronting the boulevard itself.)
brad_in_omaha
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by brad_in_omaha »

This past weekend we checked out Calibration Brewery, Callsign Brewing, Strange Days Brewing, as well made a return trip to Cinder Block brewing.
In my opinion, Cinder Block is still solid, Strange days had some really nice beers. Callsign has some ok beers and I wasn't a fan of Calibration. That said, my wife did like her cider at Calibration. We were at Calibration late afternoon on a Saturday and it was dead, went down the street to Cinder Block and it was packed. Walked back by Calibration on the way to the car and it still dead. There were more people in Strange Days at a 10 am on Sunday then Calibration on a Saturday afternoon...
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Calibration is odd. Most of the times when I'm there it's on a Tuesday and there's maybe half a dozen in there. But then every once in a while the place will be completely packed for no apparent reason and it seems to catch the staff off-guard when it happens. It's not a popular opinion but I'm a big fan of their scottish ale.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Something called Friction Beer just posted on Twitter that they signed a lease with Butch Rigby and will be in a "very popular part of town". They also thanked the Xroads Retail Group. So... maybe Tapcade? Not sure at all.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I'd like to see some brewpubs/breweries in other parts of the central city - Valentine, eastern Westport, 39th Street.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Crossroads Retail Group offices on 47th Street. On Instagram the location tag of the photo was Brookside. One begins to think maybe this is going on 63rd St in "East BKS" as it were.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Maybe in that soon-to-be renovated 701 E 63rd building in the "Brookside" thread.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

If I had my Rigby-druthers I'd like to see them up in Union Hill/Tower East next to Kimchi.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

One of the rumors I saw said within walking distance of a lot of retro arcade games, which if it's true would mean either the Crossroads Screenland building or the building he owns at 3107 Gilham Rd.

On another beer-related note, Rock-and-Run is closing.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

scooterj wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:18 pm One of the rumors I saw said within walking distance of a lot of retro arcade games, which if it's true would mean either the Crossroads Screenland building or the building he owns at 3107 Gilham Rd.

On another beer-related note, Rock-and-Run is closing.
How great would it be in that fantastic building on Gilham!

Too bad for Rock and Run it was one of the more interesting things in Liberty.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

WSPanic wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:11 pm Something called Friction Beer just posted on Twitter that they signed a lease with Butch Rigby and will be in a "very popular part of town". They also thanked the Xroads Retail Group. So... maybe Tapcade? Not sure at all.
Friction posted on FB today that they’re going in at the corner of 17th and McGee, so...yep, adjacent to Tapcade and less than a block away from the nearest brewery (Casual Animal).
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Colony is ending its brewery operation, but plans to add taps, expand cocktails, and separate the RINO so no more cover for those just wanting drinks. https://www.flatlandkc.org/eats-drinks/ ... ive-music/
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

scooterj wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:13 pm Colony is ending its brewery operation, but plans to add taps, expand cocktails, and separate the RINO so no more cover for those just wanting drinks. https://www.flatlandkc.org/eats-drinks/ ... ive-music/
“When we started, no one had done a Cinnamon Toast Crunch beer in North Kansas City,”
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I enjoy Colony and stop by often after work for an espresso and/or beer. I actually thought their beers were some of the more unique and interesting in the city. Currently has a nice low key vibe going that hope isn't blown up when they shift towards more live music with this dual concept.

The silly beer stuff just made them more fun than another standard IPA, brown ale, etc. Just had one of their Norwegian Porters last Saturday, when I actually went in specifically to try the Cinnamon Toast Crunch beer (wasn't on tap yet). Their Mario Kart based series of beers made me smile as well (Rainbow Road :)). I for one, will miss their playful additions to the KC beer scene..
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Limitless brewery in Lenexa just opened up.

https://www.limitlessbrewing.com/index.html
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

City Barrel had their friends and family event last night. Friends of mine who went raved about the food as much of the beer; I wasn't aware that they would be running a full brewpub operation.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »