KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:29 pm September 2018 beats September 2017:

Slightly higher than Sept 2017 at 176,764.

http://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uploa ... ship-1.pdf
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Arrival info now available inside Alamo:

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:32 pm Arrival info now available inside Alamo:

Very cool!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Look at that lineup.

KC Streetcar, Tom Hanks, Marlon Brando and such.

It's come a long way in the public perception
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Not trying to hijack the thread, but every time I see the beautiful interior of the Mainstreet theater I get depressed that hometown team AMC absolutely nailed the renovation, then sold it, and left downtown.

And Alamo moved right in, changing hardly anything, with a lower-rent experience. That said, I think Alamo is fine, very good even, but I miss having what felt like the flagship AMC experience downtown. I digress...
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

rxlexi wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:28 am Not trying to hijack the thread, but every time I see the beautiful interior of the Mainstreet theater I get depressed that hometown team AMC absolutely nailed the renovation, then sold it, and left downtown.

And Alamo moved right in, changing hardly anything, with a lower-rent experience. That said, I think Alamo is fine, very good even, but I miss having what felt like the flagship AMC experience downtown. I digress...
+1. I still don't go to AMC theaters because of that move and them playing the border game for tax breaks. I understand how great of a deal that was for them financially, but there is no rule that says companies that make good self-interested moves have to be admired or appreciated.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

bobbyhawks wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:05 pm +1. I still don't go to AMC theaters because of that move and them playing the border game for tax breaks. I understand how great of a deal that was for them financially, but there is no rule that says companies that make good self-interested moves have to be admired or appreciated.
There in a nutshell is where the American culture has gone wrong.
Attention to profit with no regard for costs.

It's a really fucked up way to live.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^ Brought on by globalization. I’d say the customer doesn’t care much about the costs either. We scour Amazon looking to save a dollar on our products instead of worrying where it’s made, environmental standards, how the employees were treated, or that our neighbors were laid off for a foreign worker. Corporations always reflect the standards of their customer.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I don't go to AMC Theaters because people talk during the movies. #TeamAlamo
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Eon Blue wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:43 pm I don't go to AMC Theaters because people talk during the movies. #TeamAlamo
Same here! If I want to see a movie and it's not playing at Alamo, I usually prefer to wait for video than deal with the crowds and obnoxious people at the suburban AMCs.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Fifth and Delaware.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

World’s first overhead trolley tested on Broadway in early 1880s
Midtown played a major role in transportation history, when tests for the first overhead electric railway car took place at Broadway and 39th street in the early 1880s. Inventor John C. Henry gets credit for first using the name “troller” to describe his invention (his workers called the device a trolley, the name that stuck). And some have speculated that, had Kansas City capitalists understood the significance of the Midtown experiment, Henry might have stayed in town and gone even further with development of his trolley, rather than leaving Kansas City and finding backers on the east and west coasts.

“It is a fact not generally known, even to Kansas Cityans, that the first car ever run by an overhead trolley wire was operated in Kansas City, and that the first experiments in this system of transportation, which is now in popular use all over the country, were made in this city,” the Kansas City Journal reported in 1897. The paper blamed this, in part, on the wild real estate speculation that was going on in Kansas City at the time, perhaps distracting local investors from seeing the value of the work Henry was doing.
http://midtownkcpost.com/worlds-first- ... qL4GnH80qM
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

flyingember wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:56 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:39 am
JBmidtown wrote:
So, fall of 2019?
probably. as before, there are penalties for the manufacturer being late.
We’re getting close to the one year countdown on the new trains.
We're probably right around the 9 month point to the new trains. I would guess at this point that it would take a major delay to take more than 10-11 months.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

They will arrive from Spain in segments and be re-assembled on site. Neat!
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

How did we do with our first real weather of the year? Any of the cold weather issues?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I saw the streetcars skipping empty stops today. Usually, it stops at every stop no matter what. I was glad to see it as this speeds up service. Not sure if it was because they were running less cars and had more ‘room to run’ or some other reason. Felt like a subway car.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Official policy has always been to only stop when requested if there is no one waiting at the stop.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:19 pm Official policy has always been to only stop when requested if there is no one waiting at the stop.
Confirmed.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

grovester wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:19 pm Official policy has always been to only stop when requested if there is no one waiting at the stop.
I know, but it’s actualky never happened when I’ve been on the streetcar. Always every stop.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Always someone using every station....it is weird when it doesn't stop at a station....but I'm not sure I e ever seen it stop and nobody get on/off