favorite under-the-radar mexican places in the kansas city area?

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
smh
Supporter

Re: favorite under-the-radar mexican places in the kansas city area?

Post by smh »

Ignorant question, but is anyone in town doing actual pastor on a spit gyro-style like you see in Mexico? I'll listen off line.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

smh wrote:Ignorant question, but is anyone in town doing actual pastor on a spit gyro-style like you see in Mexico? I'll listen off line.
I think El Camino Real does that. Bichelmeyers too.

FWIW, I think most places probably do it that way - it's just a matter of what they're showing you.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

El Camino and San Antonio do. There are probably others, but I suspect most places just do a pastor-like marinade.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Outstanding, thanks! I suppose I'd just never paid attention at San Antonio.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Agree with everything posted, including that downtown is lacking with above avg legit street Mex - Rico's is just OK but only decent one downtown. KCK is the It spot for counter street Mex - Bichelmeyer, Santonio, El Camino, Ninfas, Reynas, etc. Is surprising that Central Ave isn't more loaded up with street counters by now given the influx last 10 years but check out El Camaroncito and Mariscos El Pirata for 'under radar' - and Delicias Pastries.

Not 'under radar' but La Fuente is very good for family entree style (the family is from Mexico City), and maggies only 99 cents on Sun/Wed (I've only been to the one in Smithville). Don't care much for the gringo 'KC cheese Mex' places along SW Blvd but can get in the mood for Manny's Monterrey burrito if pulled in. Mentioned newish Brookside Barrio in other thread, which is quite good for so-called hipster foodie Mex. Wouldn't mind seeing one downtown but is not far from MAX Main stop at Bside shops.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Anyone enjoying Mission Taco downtown? We liked the stl locations and enjoyed our first visit to the KC location.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

StL_Dan wrote:Anyone enjoying Mission Taco downtown? We liked the stl locations and enjoyed our first visit to the KC location.
I've only been in STL, but I liked it for what it is (and that's not an insult). I have similar thoughts to KC taco company, in that's it's normally not what I'm looking for when I'm feeling that kind of food.

I like the addition of them and iTap. I hope they're doing well.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Has anyone tried the Honduran restaurants in KCK? A couple have popped up. Tends to involve plantains and Baleadas (tortilla, refried beans in coconut oil).
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Speaking of plantains, what about the Rum place across the street from Mission Taco? I thought it was just a booze joint, but it looks to have a full on Puerto Rican menu with said plantains. Anyone been?
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

grovester wrote:Speaking of plantains, what about the Rum place across the street from Mission Taco? I thought it was just a booze joint, but it looks to have a full on Puerto Rican menu with said plantains. Anyone been?
Didn’t even notice it. Sheesh. Will definitely need to check that out.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

StL_Dan wrote:Anyone enjoying Mission Taco downtown? We liked the stl locations and enjoyed our first visit to the KC location.
I went once and thats probably the only time I'll go. I was fairly unimpressed with the Brah'rito I ordered and my wife did not finish the portabello taco she is ordered. Marg's and service overall were also subpar.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

earthling wrote:Has anyone tried the Honduran restaurants in KCK? A couple have popped up. Tends to involve plantains and Baleadas (tortilla, refried beans in coconut oil).
I think the Honduran spot at 13th and Central either used to or still does have a location on Independence Ave. I really like that spot.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kboish wrote:
earthling wrote:Has anyone tried the Honduran restaurants in KCK? A couple have popped up. Tends to involve plantains and Baleadas (tortilla, refried beans in coconut oil).
I think the Honduran spot at 13th and Central either used to or still does have a location on Independence Ave. I really like that spot.
Sabor Central Americano is at 13th/Central. I think they consider themselves more El Salvador than Honduras, but I don't think that matters in this conversation. They have fantastic Papusas. They do Plantains. And they also have really good street tacos. Can't recommend the place enough. They did have a location at Independence Ave and Chestnut Pkwy, but it's no longer there.

I've also been to Anita's Cuisine on Merriam Dr near Johnson Dr - it's OK, but Sabor Central Americano is better, IMO. But the plantains were good for sure!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Not under the radar, but I think Port Fonda gets a bad rap sometimes. As far as a tequila/mezcal bar goes, it is easily the best in the city (that I know about). Yelpers and hipster haters love to slam it for being "hipster" or for tacos costing too much, but you can get a ridiculous entree there for under $20 that is unlike anything else in the city. I for one love it and have had very consistent good experiences there. I also totally get criticisms that it is hard to hear, but I don't get why folks would rate a delicious meal a 1/5 because it was hard to hear and your waitress had a tattoo and seemed cool. Can't wait until Google Maps starts rolling out its ratings by friend/follower groupings so I can ignore dumb Yelp reviewers forever.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hipsters complain it's hipster?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:Hipsters complain it's hipster?
Dude, that's like a requirement of being a hipster.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCPowercat wrote:Hipsters complain it's hipster?
Yelp is most certainly not full of hipsters.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So what's doable on Independence Ave E of downtown? Some listed...

Taqueria El Korita
Taqueria Y Pupuseria Lupita
San Antonio Carniceria Y Tortilleria (same owners as KCK joint?)
Carniceria Lago y Taqueria
Los Juaritos
Charritos (looks good)
Taqueria Super Taco
La Flor de Chiapas
Tacocina
Las Palmas
El Paso Del Norte
Tacqueria El Torito
Carniceria El Torito III
Super Torta
El Indio, Pollos Asados Al Carbon
Gringo Loco
Elvira's Cakes
El Mercado Fresco (pastries, is there a taco counter?)
Taco Express
Taqueria Mexico

Given over 40 languages spoken on NE side am surprised not to see more variety of eats outside a couple Vietnamese and an E African. But that's a lot of Mexi for one stretch.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

^^LOVE this! ^^

thanks for posting
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

earthling wrote:Given over 40 languages spoken on NE side am surprised not to see more variety of eats outside a couple Vietnamese and an E African. But that's a lot of Mexi for one stretch.
We've had several come and go. The diversity is great, but the populations may not be quite dense enough to sustain restaurants with their relatively small margins and high costs, unfortunately. The markets and curio / import stores seem to be doing OK though.