Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by Riverite »

Does anyone know what time we will know
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

If this is like every other election, we'll have a good idea of how the Northland voted around 8, and south of the river by 9-9:30.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Expanding Johnson County Executive Airport because going to rebuild some buildings becuase of damage to them.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Sometimes I talk to my 6 year old neice about the origin of the universe. She has no idea what she is talking about, so it’s probably a complete waste of my time. She’s still a cute one though!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

My favorite news quote
Citizens for Responsible Government, the group opposing the ballot measure, told 41 Action News it sent out an email blast with fliers that volunteers could print and pass out. However, CFRG did not have planned locations for them to do so.
Print it yourselves and find a place to go. That’s organized.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Voted around 4PM in Midtown. Lots of elderly people with canes voting, not any younger people under 40. Pretty good turnout but not a line. Not sure what that means but given airport was only major item, I'm not optimistic if mostly elderly show up.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

earthling wrote:Voted around 4PM in Midtown. Lots of elderly people with canes voting, not any younger people under 40. Pretty good turnout but not a line. Not sure what that means but given airport was only major item, I'm not optimistic if mostly elderly show up.
I would suspect most of the yes crowd, being younger, based their voting around work. So early morning, 11-1, and post-5pm.

I know of several coworkers who live in KCMO and voted when polls opened this morning.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote:Voted around 4PM in Midtown. Lots of elderly people with canes voting, not any younger people under 40. Pretty good turnout but not a line. Not sure what that means but given airport was only major item, I'm not optimistic if mostly elderly show up.
I believe pre election in September, “regular voters”, were already polled at above 50% pro new Terminal. Imma go ahead and guess regular voters Means mainly the elderly. I heard there is confusion from non KCMO residents trying to vote
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

ldai_phs wrote:I heard there is confusion from non KCMO residents trying to vote
Its almost like people have an expectation of having a say on the issues that affect them. Did they forget what country they are in? What planet they are on?

Seriously though, win or lose, we need to transfer this to another entity. Something that either has no voter oversight or has representation across the entire metro. One of the two. I'm a KCMO resident, but it's ridiculous that I have more of a say than someone from JoCo who may fly more than I do.

Also, an independent entity could be given control of all metro airports and develop a master plan for the whole region.
ztonyg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ztonyg »

tower wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:I heard there is confusion from non KCMO residents trying to vote
Its almost like people have an expectation of having a say on the issues that affect them. Did they forget what country they are in? What planet they are on?

Seriously though, win or lose, we need to transfer this to another entity. Something that either has no voter oversight or has representation across the entire metro. One of the two. I'm a KCMO resident, but it's ridiculous that I have more of a say than someone from JoCo who may fly more than I do.

Also, an independent entity could be given control of all metro airports and develop a master plan for the whole region.
Why hasn't anyone brought up this idea before?

It's absolutely ridiculous that this type of typical airport capital improvement is tied to a public vote. No other major metro area in the US has this problem.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

tower wrote:

Sounds good to me. This entire exercise has been a waste/suck of political capital for the past two (5?) years. We could have been focusing on so many important things that actually are within the city's purview...but instead we spent two years debating whether or not we should keep aged obsolete terminals because people felt nostalgic about them.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

ztonyg wrote:
tower wrote:

Why hasn't anyone brought up this idea before?

It's absolutely ridiculous that this type of typical airport capital improvement is tied to a public vote. No other major metro area in the US has this problem.
It will change after this vote fails and we inevitably have to go through this another three times.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

en08 wrote:One of the biggest things that concerns me about Kansas City's development is KCI. While our airport is convienient and nice on the inside, it is not adequate anymore for a city of Kansas City's size. First off, it's structure makes it seem small. When people come to Kansas City, they think we are a small city just because our airport doesn't seem that big (in reality it is fairly large, having 90 gates). Also, it is extremley inconvienient for connecting passengers since there is a security checkpoint at EVERY gate, and you have to go through security again to get food, a magazine, or use the bathroom (in some cases). Kansas City would be a PERFECT hub city due to it's central location for a major airline, and probably would easily become a hub if only we had a bigger airport. Memphis, a city half of our size, has a much larger airport, and is thus a hub. So does Salt Lake City. We are in dire need of a new airport-- I know that we just spent alot of money on renovating KCI, but why! The airport is so old, it is not up to date for the 21st century.
This is the second comment from this thread...which started in 2006.

Waste. of. time
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

It's definitely not an original idea, I'm just venting my frustration. I think most people here would agree with transferring the airport. Unfortunately, it is probably a non-starter in this current political environment. I'm not sure if it would require a public vote or not, but I have very little confidence that the voters would approve it, and the current city council wouldn't do it without a public vote.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

tower wrote:I think most people here would agree with transferring the airport. Unfortunately, it is probably a non-starter in this current political environment. I'm not sure if it would require a public vote or not, but I have very little confidence that the voters would approve it, and the current city council wouldn't do it without a public vote.
I don't know, they're giving Westport to the Westport Business Association probably this week, so why not throw in the airport while we're at it? (not sure why I'm being so cynical right now, new KCI is winning big time in Northland on early reporting so it looks like we're getting a new airport....yay!)
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

It’s up big in the Northland. Given Freedom Inc’s endorsement, I’m feeling much better about the vote now.

(Edit: sniped)
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

71/29 with 25% reporting.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

shinatoo wrote:71/29 with 25% reporting.
Overall?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Q1 up 79/21 with 48% reporting.

Did not see that coming.