Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Westport

Post by beautyfromashes »

Ah! Just read that Taylor and McMansus voted against it. Assumed everyone else was present. Just tired of my district reps being against development. Was worried Justus turned slimy politician like Shields.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The hotel proposal at 40th and Central heads to CPC next week. IIRC that includes the demo of the old Club XO.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

XO....what memories.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Same. Wasn’t that Guitars and Cadillacs before that?
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

beautyfromashes wrote:Ah! Just read that Taylor and McMansus voted against it. Assumed everyone else was present. Just tired of my district reps being against development. Was worried Justus turned slimy politician like Shields.
I thought I read that both James and Justus were absent.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Atlantis before XO...think it was country before Atlantis.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Opened as Fanny's(disco) back in the seventies or eighties?
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Shields can tickle my ass with her tongue. She is awful.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:
kboish wrote:Westport is closed for business.
Disappointed Jolie Justus went along with the moratorium ordinance. Good for Taylor standing up against it. Might get my vote for mayor because of it.
6 months is pretty meh so the neighborhood can get an idea of what they want to be...and she got street vacations added according to chag...

she def has my vote for mayor at this point....she is the closest we've had to an urbanite mayor in my lifetime....not that Sly isn't, it just isn't his passion like it is for JJ
So is the Opus apartment proposal affected by the moratorium? It was approved prior to the moratorium vote.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

No. No projects already approved are affected.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Apparently the street vacation wasn’t part of the Westport Building Ban. It’s going back to CPC on 11/7. There’s some kind of quid pro quo where WRBL will support HKC/Vicki Noteis/Lisa Briscoe’s efforts to amend the PMAP and extend the Plaza height restrictions into Westport, in exchange for the street vacation. What a mess.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Fucking madness
mykn

Post by mykn »

chaglang wrote:Apparently the street vacation wasn’t part of the Westport Building Ban. It’s going back to CPC on 11/7. There’s some kind of quid pro quo where WRBL will support HKC/Vicki Noteis/Lisa Briscoe’s efforts to amend the PMAP and extend the Plaza height restrictions into Westport, in exchange for the street vacation. What a mess.
The tentacles extend far. HKC has been "assisting" our neighborhood association to block infill development in our Midtown neighborhood because its too contemporary.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

mykn wrote:
chaglang wrote:Apparently the street vacation wasn’t part of the Westport Building Ban. It’s going back to CPC on 11/7. There’s some kind of quid pro quo where WRBL will support HKC/Vicki Noteis/Lisa Briscoe’s efforts to amend the PMAP and extend the Plaza height restrictions into Westport, in exchange for the street vacation. What a mess.
The tentacles extend far. HKC has been "assisting" our neighborhood association to block infill development in our Midtown neighborhood because its too contemporary.
Which neighborhood association are you talking about? I live in Volker and pretty pissed about the fingerprints HKC has on several things I've come across recently. I had hoped to attend our neighborhood association meeting last week to bring it up, but was out of town. I want to make it clear that I don't want Mary Jo Draper and HKC disseminating information and misinformation to our area without some sort of checks and balances.
mykn

Post by mykn »

kcjak wrote:
mykn wrote:
Which neighborhood association are you talking about? I live in Volker and pretty pissed about the fingerprints HKC has on several things I've come across recently. I had hoped to attend our neighborhood association meeting last week to bring it up, but was out of town. I want to make it clear that I don't want Mary Jo Draper and HKC disseminating information and misinformation to our area without some sort of checks and balances.
Old Hyde Park, but I believe MJD and HKC have their people on many of the midtown HOAs. They are entrenched and it's incredibly hard getting them out of power.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Midtown is fucked.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

New, larger residential projects should be concentrated on Broadway, Main Street, and Linwood. Empty lots and post-WWII building sites should be prioritized first. Maybe provide incentives for replacing empty lots and surface parking with new buildings.

Any time a historic building is going to be demolished for a project, save the historic facade and incorporate it into the project. That should keep both sides happier. Seemed to work on the east coast.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

mykn wrote:
Yup. The VP of West Plaza neighborhood association is good buds with MJD or HKC. She (the VP) is one of the plaintiffs against the streetcar expansion vote.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It's sad what's happened to HKC since Amanda Crowley left. A few years ago, they were moving out of the reactionary mode of old white ladies yelling about contemporary architecture. They had an event at the Guild in 2010 or 2011 that appeared to reposition the organization as one that embraced a broader vision of preservation and was geared to a younger demographic. After she left, first Greg Allen and then Joan Adam steered HKC right back into the reactionary, Plaza-centric organization they've always been. They completely missed on the colonnade demolition in Northeast, and worthy initiatives like outreach to eastside neighborhoods have withered for lack of interest. Instead, they hold cocktail and croquet parties at the Goff House in Crestwood, a building which they would fight tooth and nail against if someone proposed it now. Their overreach in the recent Westport developments and PMAP meddling have managed to alienate a lot of younger people who are actually preservation advocates but don't agree with HKC's rigid opposition to density or contemporary architecture and don't want to see Kansas City filled up with low-rise, schlocky, old-timey buildings.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Well that totally sucks. No more of my money.