Kansas City Music

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Kansas City Music

Post by kucer »

I can't keep up with all the shows that have been coming to KC/LFK recently. Nice problem to have I guess, but missing some bands have made me upset...just too old/semi-responsible for multiple weeknight shows.

Missing Big Thief tomorrow b/c it's in LFK. Missed Frankie Cosmos, Angel Olsen/Mount Moriah earlier in week. All in LFK. Bummer.

The Rubs/The Whiffs on Sunday in KC I will make. They were both great at White School in LFK last week with Screaming Females.

I've yet to see a show at Truman that interests me. Definitely want to check it out at some point.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Lawrence needs to change airport code to LFK.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Would love to see Slowdive at the Truman, but I will be out of town that weekend.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Curious to see KC score some nearly exclusive Midwest dates or short tours. Slowdive, Crystal Method, B52s, Todd Rundgren, Leon, Afghan Whigs...
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I'd like KC to get to the point that we get first dibs on shows before LFK. Still way too many that opt for there over us. I think downtown population growth/millemnials will help.

Hard to compete with a captive college audience.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Looking at Pollstar, seems KCMO gets about half or more of 'college audience' tours. That's more than I'd expect given KU within same concert market. A concert market tends to be about 100 mile radius last I heard so tour managers maybe look at that more than deciding on KU or KCMO location - it's the same to them. But downtown has indeed picked up on venues for that segment.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Jackie at Up To Eleven lives in Lawrence and books Bottleneck and Granada a ton...I don't see that changing anytime regardless of KC demographics. Unfortunately, she books a ton of the stuff I love.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kucer wrote: I've yet to see a show at Truman that interests me. Definitely want to check it out at some point.
I did see they added Tom Green at the end of next March. In lieu of a band I want to see, I may use this as an excuse to see the place.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Blind Tiger closing. Hopefully relocating eventually.

http://www.pitch.com/news/blog/20980442 ... s-landlord
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

grovester wrote:Blind Tiger closing. Hopefully relocating eventually.

Huge fucking bummer.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

It’s likely not reopening anytime soon unfortunately. It’s a bummer because now underground/non-mainstream rock-type Music that only draws 10-100 crowds will have to return to house shows that can’t shoulder the endless stream of touring bands that Blind Tiger was capable of aiding. There are some good spaces in the West Bottoms that have begun to gain traction but it’s not exactly the same feel. Those spaces are much more politicized with stuffy art school types. It’s looking like the end of an era of fun and carefree rock and roll in Kansas City.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Does anyone know why blind tiger is closing?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

A snipped from the Pitch article linked above:
In this particular case, the trouble appears to be with Blind Tiger's landlord. The tavern's Facebook post includes this explanation:
Blind Tiger has been dealing with an unstable landlord who ambushed and shot at the owner. We feel that it is in our best interest to no longer do business with this person. Because of pending criminal charges we cannot go into full detail at this time. We have had a very successful two years, it's an unfortunate situation.
That landlord is Brent Lambi, a long-volatile presence in the world of Westport real estate. In 2010, The Pitch chronicled Lambi’s turbulent business deals and personal legal problems.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Noooo!!! Thats terrifying I don't blame the owner wanting to leave though
ToDactivist
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ToDactivist »

seeking good blues. not jsazz, blues. suggestions anyone?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Never been, but I've heard BB's puts on pretty good blues shows. Knuckleheads often has blues shows / jams. I can't think of anywhere else right off, but there have to be a bunch.

RIP Grand Emporium
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Kansas City is briefly mentioned, inexplicably, in their new song "Put Some Miles On" (for those that like old alternative bands)

https://open.spotify.com/track/5fWwkrA3 ... yG-_QIWQyw
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

JBmidtown wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:56 am

It’s likely not reopening anytime soon unfortunately. It’s a bummer because now underground/non-mainstream rock-type Music that only draws 10-100 crowds will have to return to house shows that can’t shoulder the endless stream of touring bands that Blind Tiger was capable of aiding. There are some good spaces in the West Bottoms that have begun to gain traction but it’s not exactly the same feel. Those spaces are much more politicized with stuffy art school types. It’s looking like the end of an era of fun and carefree rock and roll in Kansas City.
What's the contemporary venue for rock acts in the metro core?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

TrolliKC wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:23 pm Kansas City is briefly mentioned, inexplicably, in their new song "Put Some Miles On" (for those that like old alternative bands)

https://open.spotify.com/track/5fWwkrA3 ... yG-_QIWQyw
Great song, got a real Stan Ridgway vibe to it.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

JBmidtown wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:56 am

How are venues like Minibar and Davey's too "mainstream" for acts this size?