OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: New Convention Hotel

Post by moderne »

Sorta like the 2 wings of the Westin. This squatty box will completely block any view of the P&L from the south, as opposed to the earlier design that purposely kept the view corridor open.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Four light is going to mostly do that even if this is redesigned. Redesigning one building around the view of one building is overreacting.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

According to Biz Journal financing is secured. Requires NO city council vote. Dec 20th edition.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Maybe you can't expect it to happen, but I don't think it's overreacting. The view of downtown from the south is one of the most aesthetically pleasing skyline views in the country, I think. What it lacks in size, it makes up for in balance, proportions, differing tower designs, and historic towers that connect us with the first great age of skyscrapers. It was very nice that the original design was going to side-step the P&L by a bit. Hopefully, the top 3rd or so of the P&L will still be an important part of the skyline peeking over the top of the hotel.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderne wrote:Sorta like the 2 wings of the Westin. This squatty box will completely block any view of the P&L from the south, as opposed to the earlier design that purposely kept the view corridor open.
that view is not protected, nor should it be.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

The money shot of our once great skyline from the south is eventually going to be a boring glass wall of 23 storey, box buildings. :roll:
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

One cannot protect views of buildings unless the building(s) that is/are to be protected is/are willing to buy the air rights around it/them to protect the views, or compensate other property owners for the inability to develop their sites in the way they want.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

NorthOak wrote:The money shot of our once great skyline from the south is eventually going to be a boring glass wall of 23 storey, box buildings. :roll:
The skyline has changed constantly over the years. What you call great is the result of buildings hiding other buildings once in view.

There are alrady angles of the skyline that are already nearly 100% glass buildings.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

I agree with the skyline being beautiful, always made me proud. I also remember the unobstructed view we had with those 9 surface parking lots out front and center. Always had this vision of Truman lined with appt/condo towers on both sides and that sucker gettin' capped. 15 years ago I never thought I would see it in my lifetime much less the Sprint center and entertainment dist. all in walking distance. Let the Crossroads start with a new conv. hotel, P.A.C.,Residence Inn, UMKC school of dance, etc. I'm not one bit worried about our investment and development, ability to build a crossroad skyline of it's own. 15 years, WOW! Now about those 9 surface lots on the North loop.........
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

it's just a very very very ugly building....even a cheap building can look much better than that thing.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder if people complained when the sight-lines were obstructed for the New York Life Building?

KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

:D
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I'm actually OK with this new design.

Lower height = Less impact on the important parts of the skyline
Lower third of the new design = Compliments Bartle Hall and the Ball Room design much better

Overall it blends more seamlessly into the skyline that we already have and that everyone is bitching about saving. The "Iconic" tower craze is overrated, especially when EVERY single tower in your city starts looking "Iconic". Then you have NO skyline. Just a bunch of pieces of art, with each one trying to stand out harder than the rest. I'll take a gentle blend over that anyday. One or two iconic towers, yes please..but leave that for a real skyscraper to do..NOT a convention hotel.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"I smell citizens for responsible government delaying project as cause. They delayed project, prices spiked...Damage done."

Getting the financing package together is a much bigger culprit.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

FangKC wrote:One cannot protect views of buildings unless the building(s) that is/are to be protected is/are willing to buy the air rights around it/them to protect the views, or compensate other property owners for the inability to develop their sites in the way they want.

No need to be condescending, we're all aware of the law and property rights.
The point I was simply stating is that all of the "Light" buildings and now this new hotel rendering look similar and are all boring flat boxes of the same height, materials and are all are on the same east>west line fronting all of the other diverse and historical buildings.

flyingember wrote: The skyline has changed constantly over the years. What you call great is the result of buildings hiding other buildings once in view. There are alrady angles of the skyline that are already nearly 100% glass buildings.

Not really, all of the new additions to the skyline are taller and behind historical buildings and added height to the skyline. So the skyline has not "changed" all that much. There's only been some taller additions along 11th & 12th street (1KC, City Center Sq, Pavilion) but the diverse and historical southern vantage point has always been maintained for decades. The new east>west line of boring glass box renderings along 15-16th streets - if completed - are tall enough to obscure much of the diversity and history we've enjoyed over the years, but not tall enough to add anything to the skyline. I'll take the new construction any day of the week. I'm simply pointing out that our lucky view we've enjoyed in the past has seemed to run out if these new renderings are maintained through completion.

aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The MCW supersized.

(Monotonous. Cordish. Wall.)
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Save Downtown From New Kind of Tall Buildings!
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Build more, that's all I can say. Every time I go to cities like Denver, Nashville, etc. I get so jealous seeing dozens of tower cranes throughout the downtown area. Our skyline, even with these 22-24 story buildings is not going to change much. We really need a 40+ story office tower North of the Sprint Center to balance it out more.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

That would block the iconic view of the Sprint center from the parking lot.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

chingon wrote:That would block the iconic view of the Sprint center from the parking lot.

Or from the South, it would block the iconic view of the Traders on Grand building :)