Broadway

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Broadway

Post by PumpkinStalker »

geeman68 wrote:Did anyone notice that the rendering looks like late spring/early summer with folks dressed up in shorts/light shirts than BAM, a woman and her child are in winter wear?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microclimate
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

More renderings of the MGE Building Renovation area are up on b&a architecture's website.

More elevation pics on B&A Architecture's webiste:
http://baarchitecture.com/projects/midtown-plaza/15BRO
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Ironic that those apartment buildings (5-story over one level of underground garage) are more dense than any of the announced apartments being built in Columbus Park near the streetcar line.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Good find, thanks for sharing.

I liked the original tenant mix of "Bakery" "Bicycle" "Deli" and "Coffee Shop" better than Subway, Sports Clips, ?, and Starbucks - although I'm sure those are hypothetical. However, I would happily take a Subway there if it meant demoing their location at Linwood and Main and redeveloping that lot along with the 2 buildings to the south.

Their website still says "Phase I and II of the project are scheduled to be complete late fall of 2016." I doubt that is happening. Here is the last update I could find, from the Star in December:
But the project still requires tax abatement approval, which the developer will request soon from the Planned Industrial Expansion Authority. The development also needs some public infrastructure improvements that would be funded through the Public Improvements Advisory Committee approval process.

The MGE lease on the Broadway building has ended, and Kashani hopes construction to remodel it can begin early next year. The entire complex would take several years to complete.
Anyone know if there has been any movement on those fronts?
mykn

Post by mykn »

Anyone know of any updates on this? I haven't seen any movement but I think I remember seeing some permit activity a few months ago.
UrbanKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by UrbanKC »

Relevant:
https://www.reddit.com/r/urbandesign/co ... rently_at/

Just for fun I thought I'd ask the urban designers' sub-Reddit what they'd do differently with the intersection of Broadway & Westport Road.

I also looked up what the city might have in mind, and apparently the boneheads have determined that Broadway from 31st to 43rd is not "feasible" for a road diet of any kind.

Yet the Midtown Plaza Area plan shows Broadway as having "Pedestrian Priority"

A bit ironic and contradictory when you consider that most of Broadway is 70' wide, with about 95' of public R.O.W.
No one in their right mind is comfortable with crossing a 70' wide street, and it doesn't matter if you put a speed limit sign up that says "25mph".

Broadway doesn't just need a road diet, it needs an overhaul mainly in a large sized median in place of the central turn lane. The sidewalks are all a great, comfortable size, a little lacking in greenery but that can be fixed without upsetting the traffic engineers. Just cut out that turn lane (not necessary, you don't need it) and plop in about a 10-12' median with more pedestrian/parking bumpouts along the sides. That'd change the whole character of Broadway.
mykn

Post by mykn »

It looks like the MGE conversion might not be dead after all. A permit for Site Disturbance was issued last week and I saw workers and a crane there this morning: http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/proje ... 7&jur=KCMO

I really don't have a knowledge of permits, but does this mean work is about to begin/underway?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The city is reviewing sewer plans, so it's clear work is about to begin
mykn

Post by mykn »

flyingember wrote:The city is reviewing sewer plans, so it's clear work is about to begin
Thank jebus, I was incredibly worried that this project was going to fall through.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

This is on the upcoming PIEA meeting docket for tomorrow, thinking it might be related to the MGE renovation project on Broadway...
Resolution authorizing the PIEA to entering into a Funding Agreement with the City of Kansas City, MO and a Redevelopment Agreement with MGE Capital, LLC to provide funding for blight remediation in connection with the MGE Project.
KCDowntown
mykn

Post by mykn »

KCDowntown wrote:This is on the upcoming PIEA meeting docket for tomorrow, thinking it might be related to the MGE renovation project on Broadway...
Resolution authorizing the PIEA to entering into a Funding Agreement with the City of Kansas City, MO and a Redevelopment Agreement with MGE Capital, LLC to provide funding for blight remediation in connection with the MGE Project.
KCDowntown
Back from the dead! Glad this this has some movement.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

KCDowntown wrote:This is on the upcoming PIEA meeting docket for tomorrow, thinking it might be related to the MGE renovation project on Broadway...
KCDowntown
KCDowntown - what did you make of the other agenda items? The Main st. project rings a bell. What about the 19th and Oak line item?
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

hartliss wrote:KCDowntown - what did you make of the other agenda items? The Main st. project rings a bell. What about the 19th and Oak line item?
This is 100% conjecture, but the only project I know of in this area is the new Milhaus development - 19th & Oak is the NW corner of that block of land they just bought.

I think this is an early step of about 4 things a project has to do to get bonds from the PIEA. The next steps would be something along the lines of a 'Resolution Expressing Intent to Accept the Contract Proposal' for this project. And then finally a resolution that actually issues the revenue bonds. it typically takes 4-6 months for a project to get all the steps resolved and sometimes they die on the vine.

This is from the March agenda:
Resolution approving Qualification Analysis and General Development Plan for the 19th and Oak PIEA Area.
This was from the February's agenda:
Resolution approving a Proponent Funding Agreement and authorizing preparation of a Qualification Analysis and General Development Plan for the 19th and Oak PIEA Area.
BTW for anyone who was wondering - the Main St. development hartliss is referring to is the Hawthorne at 39th & Main getting some funding from the PIEA.

KCDowntown
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

KCDowntown wrote:
hartliss wrote:KCDowntown - what did you make of the other agenda items? The Main st. project rings a bell. What about the 19th and Oak line item?
This is 100% conjecture, but the only project I know of in this area is the new Milhaus development - 19th & Oak is the NW corner of that block of land they just bought.

I think this is an early step of about 4 things a project has to do to get bonds from the PIEA. The next steps would be something along the lines of a 'Resolution Expressing Intent to Accept the Contract Proposal' for this project. And then finally a resolution that actually issues the revenue bonds. it typically takes 4-6 months for a project to get all the steps resolved and sometimes they die on the vine.

This is from the March agenda:
Resolution approving Qualification Analysis and General Development Plan for the 19th and Oak PIEA Area.
This was from the February's agenda:
Resolution approving a Proponent Funding Agreement and authorizing preparation of a Qualification Analysis and General Development Plan for the 19th and Oak PIEA Area.
BTW for anyone who was wondering - the Main St. development hartliss is referring to is the Hawthorne at 39th & Main getting some funding from the PIEA.

KCDowntown
Thanks, good insight
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I'm guessing the MGE project is dead? Sign says "Spring 2017"...

mykn

Post by mykn »

I'm guessing so. Interesting to note, earlier they had something covering the "Spring 2017" part of that sign. Strange it's gone now.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Do we have a zombie here? Is the MGE project coming back to life?

Something just showed up for this address in Compass, although it is lacking any details or attachments:

"Change of Occupancy Classification"
"Building renovation that includes parking lot, and Public: Sidewalk, Curb, Curb and Gutter, and Driveway."

https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... efbb8ec4cd
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

Maybe it was earlier in the thread, though I'm too lazy to look...

I heard Kashani was suing the previous owner because there was some issue with the building after he bought it. I know that's incredibly vague, and I can't remember where I heard it, but that could be the reason this has been delayed so long.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

If true, lawsuits can go concurrent to construction so it must have been big enough to delay the project financially.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Issuing bonds for the MGE project is on the PIEA agenda for tomorrow:
Issuance of taxable industrial revenue bonds for the Midtown Plaza, Phase 1 Project in the maximum principal amount of $4,500,000 and authorizing and approving certain documents and actions in connection to the issuance of said bonds.