Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by slimwhitman »

AlbertHammond wrote:A construction fence went up with an excavator today at the old Boston Market/Verizon pad site today. Bye, bye ol' girl. You won't be missed. Though I doubt your replacement will be an improvement.
Building is gone, as of today.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Silver lining even if they replace with a new pad site. New construction requires bike parking. Had they renovated they probably could have got away with not adding it. So anyone who gets by this project frequently look for it towards the end and open a 311 ticket asking about it if it doesn't.

I'm less certain but I think if they try to repave the parking lot they have to follow the new landscaping rules which means more green space per spot. So the parking lot should in theory shrink in size. I believe the standard hits with any parking lot repair job that repairs a majority of the lot. Simple fairness says all property owners should follow this so file a ticket if this project doesn't. There's lots downtown that owners have followed this rule and they look better than ones that don't.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

pash wrote:Do we know what's happening at the ex-Verizon pad site? I clicked back a couple of pages and didn't see anything, sorry if I missed. ...
Assuming it is for Raising Kane.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

slimwhitman wrote:
pash wrote:Do we know what's happening at the ex-Verizon pad site? I clicked back a couple of pages and didn't see anything, sorry if I missed. ...
Assuming it is for Raising Kane.
When archaeologists dig this site up in the future and see a Raising Cane's pancaked on top of a Boston Market, they'll have a pretty good idea of what happened to our civilization.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I went to Throwback over the weekend. What a lame excuse for an arcade bar. Everything was just video game system except for some kind of pac man you could purchase with coins. This is more dance club than Arcade Bar, at least all of the video games were free but this is no Up/Down or Tapcade.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I went to Throwback over the weekend. What a lame excuse for an arcade bar. Everything was just video game system except for some kind of pac man you could purchase with coins. This is more dance club than Arcade Bar, at least all of the video games were free but this is no Up/Down or Tapcade.
not what i was expecting to hear, but not at all surprised that a concept wanting to be more than one thing fails at doing at least one of those things (arcade) well.

so, how long until the games disappear and it becomes America's Pub: Part 3?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

DaveKCMO wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:I went to Throwback over the weekend. What a lame excuse for an arcade bar. Everything was just video game system except for some kind of pac man you could purchase with coins. This is more dance club than Arcade Bar, at least all of the video games were free but this is no Up/Down or Tapcade.
not what i was expecting to hear, but not at all surprised that a concept wanting to be more than one thing fails at doing at least one of those things (arcade) well.

so, how long until the games disappear and it becomes America's Pub: Part 3?
Its way too small to be America's Pub Part 3 but I could see America's Pub type shootings happening out of this location because it attracted that kind of clientele and the all female bartenders were dressed in shitty neon with short shorts, all of them probably worked at Twin Peaks at one time. The Bartenders were kind of crappy, they all seemed to have this i'm to good to be here, bitchy type attitude.

100% sure this is the rude bartender I had, I'm not gonna lie, all the bartenders were hot but that kind of scene is not my cup of tea
https://www.facebook.com/lauren.yeager.3
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I hadn't seen this finished yet. Were you able to find a place to park?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

aww, manor square has a cute, younger cousin!

but, seriously, people will quickly forget this was ever a "controversy" (especially when one of the chains is replaced by a local, which is inevitable).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

An awning would give the boxy building more character but instead, tacky stripmall signing.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pash wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:aww, manor square has a cute, younger cousin!
It actually comes off as closer to Westport Landing, the stripmall with Freebirds, etc, catty-corner across Mill Street, in my opinion, than it does to Manor Square. Manor Square is actually pretty good looking for a one-story brick building of recent vintage.

I took the photo at probably this development's best vantage; it looks more stripmall-ish from farther down the block to the west, where the driveway is more prominent and the smaller, uglier of the two buildings is newer at hand.

Edit: By "Manor Square" I'm referring to the building housing the Tivoli and Char Bar on Pennsylvania, not the building directly across Westport Road, which I believe has also been signed as "Manor Square". ...
ah, well the one directly across the street is what i'm referring to. but, yes, westport is full of shitty architecture like westport landing. i'm surprised anything historical is left.

awnings or street trees. either would help.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

DaveKCMO wrote:awnings or street trees. either would help.
Street tree wells are in place waiting on the trees.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

I'm sure the trees will thrive as much as the landscaping at the corner on Mill St...
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Didn't know which thread this question belonged to, but I noticed St. Luke's is in the process of tearing down an ugly building on the SW corner of 43rd/JC Nichols Pkwy - immediately south of the Embassy Suites. I think it was a couple stories of parking and a couple stories of office. Anybody know what's going on?
UrbanKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by UrbanKC »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:From the quotes in the article, this definitely sounds promising.

"They have really ambitious plans for Westport" sounds intriguing. It seems like the developers have most of their experience with residential, so perhaps that could be in the offing. I do agree that the area could use much more residential within a couple block radius of the heart of Westport. The lots across from Char Bar are prime for redevelopment and I think a large residential with mixed use project could work well there.
More promising than you might realize. Yes, I think their plans are ambitious, it could do a lot to improve Westport even more. But what is sometimes talked about can often be more ambitious than what gets accomplished.
Last edited by UrbanKC on Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.