AMC Independence Commons 20 renovation?

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

AMC Independence Commons 20 renovation?

Post by KCRoyal »

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea when/if they are going to renovate the AMC Independence Commons 20. I saw what they did to the AMC's at Ward Parkway and Town Center and they were both enjoyable visits. The one in Independence is really outdated when you compare to the recently remodeled ones. Anybody with any info?
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Re: AMC Independence Commons 20 renovation?

Post by mistervinix »

The Olathe AMC, at least in the non Fork & Screen area, also is due for updating. Since it's larger, I would guess they would do it first. They also recently renovated BarryWoods, so Independence has to be in the near future.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

I remember when the Independence AMC was the latest and greatest AMC and was the test site for new ideas going into the Leawood, Olathe & Barry Woods construction. If they seem to be delaying an update, be warned that it is a sign of deferred costs leading to a closure. (I know nothing specific on this, just recognize the signs of soon-to-close corporate-owned buildings).
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

If they were planning on closing it, it would be only because they plan on building a new complex nearby. No way would AMC leave such a gap in the market.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

AlbertHammond wrote:I remember when the Independence AMC was the latest and greatest AMC and was the test site for new ideas going into the Leawood, Olathe & Barry Woods construction. If they seem to be delaying an update, be warned that it is a sign of deferred costs leading to a closure. (I know nothing specific on this, just recognize the signs of soon-to-close corporate-owned buildings).
Not that Ward Parkway was their latest and greatest but many saw its closing years ago. Last time there it was doing pretty good.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

I think Ward Parkway was one of the first ones to be remodeled a few years ago (2012?). It also has considerably less seats than most of the megaplexes.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

longviewmo wrote:I think Ward Parkway was one of the first ones to be remodeled a few years ago (2012?). It also has considerably less seats than most of the megaplexes.
They are all getting less seats with this move to recliners. They found out that people will pay more for better seats so it apparently makes up for the loss. They aren't doing it with the IMAX theaters, though, as far as I can tell. This "Dolby Prime" business is perhaps their way of phasing out IMAX?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »