OFFICIAL - Loews Convention Hotel (formerly Hyatt)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
archiKC
Pad site
Pad site

Re: New Convention Hotel

Post by archiKC »

you mean, like this?

but in all seriousness, I cant say I have ever seen anything quite like what you are asking, running the full height of the building like that. I could see issues with controlling the water from blowing away in the wind. Speaking of wind though, there are some cool things that have been done on building facades using wind to rotate small metal panels, resulting in a water like effect. Something like this could be a nice feature (ignoring cost..)

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

So what is considered a competing offer - any type of convention hotel or any hotel in the DT/Xroads/CC area that might involve ANY type of subsidy for parking, zoning, etc? Would a development similar to what is happening with 21c/Savoy be impacted by such a commitment until ~2018?

http://www.kshb.com/news/commitment-bet ... s-revealed

The proposed deal also includes a commitment from the city, that it will not take any competing offers for 10 years after the hotel’s opening date.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

kcjak wrote:So what is considered a competing offer - any type of convention hotel or any hotel in the DT/Xroads/CC area that might involve ANY type of subsidy for parking, zoning, etc? Would a development similar to what is happening with 21c/Savoy be impacted by such a commitment until ~2018?

http://www.kshb.com/news/commitment-bet ... s-revealed

The proposed deal also includes a commitment from the city, that it will not take any competing offers for 10 years after the hotel’s opening date.

They carved out exceptions for existing potential deals such as the Savoy, Old Fed Reserve Building, and DT Marriot revamp (to include mothballed Muehlebach Hotel rooms)
Last edited by kboish on Fri May 22, 2015 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

City Council approves convention hotel memo of understanding

http://tinyurl.com/mqww45l

In the link below are more details on the convention hotel deal, which includes a provision that the City will not provide any new subsidies to competitors for 10 years after opening. I guess this means no subsidies for renovating the old part of the Muehlebach for that period. I would hope that would not mean that subsidies couldn't go to convert the old hotel rooms into apartments--since that wouldn't be for competitive hospitality purposes. I hate that that space is not being used for anything productive.

I recall at one point talk of a new hotel in the East Village as part of that plan. I guess this will delay any proposed hotel in that neighborhood until 2028.

I also wonder about how this affects the former Federal Reserve Bank property, since I thought the last plan for it was to be converted into a hotel. Is there already a TIF set up for that property that would be considered a previous commitment?

I also wonder if this provision extends to the Plaza and any future hotel there.
The MOU also calls for the city to cap the developer’s fees for zoning, permits, inspections and reviews at $800,000 and to provide no subsidies to any competing hotels for 10 years after the new Hyatt’s opening.
And then there is this:
And if event gross revenues are insufficient to make the scheduled fee payment, the MOU states, “the city shall pay from any legally available city funds.”
http://tinyurl.com/kxc7wng
Last edited by FangKC on Fri May 22, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Looking at the rendering of the proposed hotel site, I have been wondering if the south portion of the base building is designed to add an additional wing in the future to expand the hotel? That would match the small north wing?

With annex.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Not every design is meant to be symmetrical
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

FangKC wrote: In the link below are more details on the convention hotel deal, which includes a provision that the City will not provide any new subsidies to competitors for 10 years after opening. I guess this means no subsidies for renovating the old part of the Muehlebach for that period. I would hope that would not mean that subsidies couldn't go to convert the old hotel rooms into apartments--since that wouldn't be for competitive hospitality purposes. I hate that that space is not being used for anything productive.

I recall at one point talk of a new hotel in the East Village as part of that plan. I guess this will delay any proposed hotel in that neighborhood until 2028.

I also wonder about how this affects the former Federal Reserve Bank property, since I thought the last plan for it was to be converted into a hotel. Is there already a TIF set up for that property that would be considered a previous commitment?

I also wonder if this provision extends to the Plaza and any future hotel there.
As I mentioned in the previous post- The Muehlebach (and Marriott), Fed Reserve, and the Savoy all were exempted from the provision precluding them from providing competing subsidies to hotels. It only applies to the area within a mile or so of the proposed site- so basically greater downtown. And it only applies to hotels that will have more than 350 rooms- so if a EV hotel proposal came along that was less than that, they would be able to subsidize it if they so choose.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote:As I mentioned in the previous post- The Muehlebach (and Marriott), Fed Reserve, and the Savoy all were exempted from the provision precluding them from providing competing subsidies to hotels. It only applies to the area within a mile or so of the proposed site- so basically greater downtown. And it only applies to hotels that will have more than 350 rooms- so if a EV hotel proposal came along that was less than that, they would be able to subsidize it if they so choose.
the additional hotel proposal in the crossroads would fit into this loophole. it's within a mile, but definitely under 350 rooms (and will probably seek incentives).
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

:) :) :)
Last edited by normalthings on Thu May 28, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

:D
Last edited by normalthings on Thu May 28, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:honestly, do these things ever meet or exceed initial expectations? i'm going to bet money on no more than 25 stories.
Well their saying 30-35 could possibly go up to 40... That's better than them saying it could drop to 25-20 . I'll keep my hopes up that in 3 years we will have a huge hotel with 3 brand new apartments added to down town. Tons of cranes. I just got back from SF and it seems they have cranes on every block with tons of buildings going up

Many of the foreign investors use intermediaries(real estate agents from their country who usually live here and specialize in this kind of thing) to find properties in the US, and buy them. It would be more efficient/ cost effective to target these intermediaries than to go after individual investors.[/quote][/quote]
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

word is that this already zipped through the TIF commission this week?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

No. The TIF commissions this week made a decision to fund outside counsel so they could prepare the proper documentation for when they actually consider the proposal in 2 weeks or whenever originally proposed...or something along those lines at least.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

heard a presentation today:

- main entrance will definitely be at 16th & baltimore, city will be focused on pedestrian experience
- will be a corporate-run hyatt regency, and will meet all of those standards.
- possible january groundbreaking
- area plan will need to be amended to eliminate height recommendation at that site (no limit / FAR 15)
- hotel only needs 450 spaces, so any additional spots will be public
- may include an independence restaurant, in addition to the hotel restaurant
- rooftop facilities will be located on the shorter tower that's perpendicular to baltimore
- the taller tower (mike burke himself says 30 stories*, so i guess that's resolved?) is located closer to wyandotte to preserve views of P&L building from the south
- three other deals were negotiating with the city simultaneously, this one required smallest direct cash contribution from the city

* all of the renderings are of a 1,000 room hotel which explains why it's confusing to correlate the room count with number of floors and height
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote:heard a presentation today:

- main entrance will definitely be at 16th & baltimore, city will be focused on pedestrian experience
- will be a corporate-run hyatt regency, and will meet all of those standards.
- possible january groundbreaking
- area plan will need to be amended to eliminate height recommendation at that site (no limit / FAR 15)
- hotel only needs 450 spaces, so any additional spots will be public
- may include an independence restaurant, in addition to the hotel restaurant
- rooftop facilities will be located on the shorter tower that's perpendicular to baltimore
- the taller tower (mike burke himself says 30 stories*, so i guess that's resolved?) is located closer to wyandotte to preserve views of P&L building from the south
- three other deals were negotiating with the city simultaneously, this one required smallest direct cash contribution from the city

* all of the renderings are of a 1,000 room hotel which explains why it's confusing to correlate the room count with number of floors and height
any design updates?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

If it includes an Independence restaurant, my vote is for Dixon's Chili.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^I think he meant 'independent', as in not a hotel or chain restaurant?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote:^I think he meant 'independent', as in not a hotel or chain restaurant?
'Twas a joke. Or, rather, an attempt at one.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote:If it includes an Independence restaurant, my vote is for Dixon's Chili.

Hmmmmm. Let's hijack the thread and try to be serious.

Wouldn't Dixon's Chili be a great addition to the City Market?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote:
smh wrote:If it includes an Independence restaurant, my vote is for Dixon's Chili.

Hmmmmm. Let's hijack the thread and try to be serious.

Wouldn't Dixon's Chili be a great addition to the City Market?
Yes. Sold.