Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by loftguy »

ChandraNH wrote:I think it's a little bit of what everyone has said.

KC doesn't have the same black middle/upper class visibility the way Memphis, ATL, DC/VA and some other spots do (and potentially doesn't have the same numbers. In many black circles, people are advised to seek corporate jobs in other locations outside the South and Southesque places (rightly or wrongly, I place KC into the Southesque bucket. It feels very much like the south) to have a better shot at an even playing field when it comes to getting jobs and higher salary. I brought my job to KC with me from New Hampshire but a good portion of our local office staff is black and from KC, with an average salary of 60K and many, many upwards of that, all with undergraduate degrees and many with graduate degrees and industry certifications and they live mostly in Raytown, Grandview and up north right outside KCK in Wyandotte county. The only way I'd move back to the South would be to take my job with me, and that's with two graduate degrees, or in retirement.

I also think there is a certain familiarity in the South, that leads to people rubbing elbows more, even if they'd rather not or aren't necessarily genuine in their interactions (which I'm not saying is the case). So in Memphis, you're more likely to see blacks and whites together in all places. Memphis had/has it's share of white flight (There's an aptly named subdivision called Whitehaven in Memphis). From Whitehaven whites moved to Germantown and recently have begun moving over the Mississippi and Arkansas state lines (my mother is an RN in Memphis and laments the fact that city agencies (including the regional hospital owned by the state/city) don't require employees live in Memphis).

Edited to add: the first time my mother came out to visit here in KC, she looked around and asked me where all the black people were as she didn't see them in the restaurants (either as patrons or employees), the shops, the museums, etc. Of course she also asked the same thing the first time she came to New Hampshire.
Thanks for the thoughtful perspective.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Doughnut Lounge for Westport?
“We hope to be a classic doughnut shop in the morning, then fun nightlife with crazy creations,” Randall said.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Where would this go? Would it be the Gusto spot i'm trying to think of something that is 2500 SQ Feet in westport
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Where would this go? Would it be the Gusto spot i'm trying to think of something that is 2500 SQ Feet in westport
Cancun Fiesta Fresh space?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

doubt that's 2500 sf.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

pash wrote:If you have not made a pulled-pork sandwich out of a maple longjohn, you should try it.
My heart just skipped a beat.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

beautyfromashes wrote:
pash wrote:If you have not made a pulled-pork sandwich out of a maple longjohn, you should try it.
My heart just skipped a beat.

Fang says chugging Lipitor sauce helps with that beautyfromashes.

Here's another image that conjures blockages.

http://uproxx.com/sports/2015/03/krispy ... donut-dog/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Nice to see it go into the Imagery spot and see S end of Westport get more attention.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

pash wrote:I was just about to ask whether the rest of the old Beaumont Club space had been filled yet. It hasn't, has it?

Too bad this place isn't going in there, because a doughnut place next to Char Bar would have been a small step toward making one of my fantasies come alive: doughnuts and barbecue living in harmony on the same plate. If you have not made a pulled-pork sandwich out of a maple longjohn, you should try it. I'm also confident that somebody who knows what he's doing could make a killer glaze out of BBQ sauce. Maybe even a beefy, fatty, smoky, melt-in-your-mouth doughnut filling.

I'm hungry.
In addition to sweet pastries, Randall says the Doughnut Lounge will feature several savory items, including a biscuits-and-gravy doughnut, a barbecue doughnut, and a mac-and-cheese doughnut.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

pash wrote: Despite being a hugely underwhelming development, these new buildings are going to be a big improvement over the surface lot that's been there for approximately forever. Building out a street wall for another block heading west is going to make the heart of the neighborhood feel that much more lively.
I always say, the nice thing about underwhelming is it's hard to complain about tearing it out and putting in more substantial in a decade or so versus a horrible but block filling 10 story structure
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Realize this news doesn't impact just Wesport, but Berbiglia shuttering all stores except the one on 103rd. Their stores REALLY went downhill over the past few years and I'm excited to see these locations hit the market.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 89064.html
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I remember thinking their places sucked back in the 90s. I don't want to know what "downhill" might mean.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I was by the 103rd location last week. It occurred to me that they are a logical target for and energetic operator to purchase and put those great locations to work.

And somebody needs to give Gomer some competition. We need some twisted hipster liquor stores.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

We need some twisted hipster liquor stores.
I think I approve of this concept. Would love to have something decent at the 43rd Street location.

The shuttering of these stores has seemed obvious for months - stock has been way, way down for a long time, and they've just generally been really sad inside.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

kcjak wrote:Realize this news doesn't impact just Wesport, but Berbiglia shuttering all stores except the one on 103rd. Their stores REALLY went downhill over the past few years and I'm excited to see these locations hit the market.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 89064.html
That explains the "For Sale" sign that popped up at the 43 & Main store a couple weeks ago.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Yeah, the one on Emmanuel Cleaver had a for lease sign up last weekend.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

They looked like a soviet supermarket. I've tried to think of all sorts of scenarios under which they would purposefully suck so badly, and all I can think of is some tax issue with other holdings, or maybe wanting to get out of the family business without insulting anyone. Jack is now a Republican state Representative, so maybe he has other priorities.

Just imagine the top row of this photo is all sub $15/bottle vodka, and you have their store, and the extent of their selection: