vegan/vegetarian (or veg-friendly) KC eateries????

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I would urge others to email info@onaturals.com if you want a cool chain like this in town soon.

The Director of Operations for the place actually emails you back. He said they are currently evaluating their existing stores and then will start rolling out nationwide once things are set.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

trailerkid wrote:I would urge others to email info@onaturals.com if you want a cool chain like this in town soon.

The Director of Operations for the place actually emails you back. He said they are currently evaluating their existing stores and then will start rolling out nationwide once things are set.
Gee, why would we need this, we already have Machine Shed and their famous Pork Producers Breakfast.
Midwest chic. =D>
stealth
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by stealth »

local harvest
on West 39th
39th and Genessee
great food, great kitchen, great cooks

check it out

mon-sat 10am to 8pm
Sun 10am to 4 pm breakfast and jazz :D
www.64111clinic.com "it's all bout the love"
www.hiphopkc.com "is waitin for you, what you waitin 4
I got the soul, the will, the heart, to fight, no matter what I'm gon shine my light
"Livin Life" lyrics by Joe Good of Sound
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Can't believe I missed this thread for six months. Sheesh.

Speaking as a meat-loving sometimes-vegetarian, living in Volker is nice. Great India has awesome veggie dishes, and their "Vegetarian Dinner for Two" is spectacular--I never once miss the meat. Addis Ababa has killer Ethiopian food, much of which is totally vegan...they, too, have a veg dinner for two, which is awesome. Cafe Rumi has some lovely salads and vegetarian appetizers (try the shanklish!), as well as a couple veg entrees. Fric and Frac is surprisingly veg-friendly for a burger joint / bar, with an exceptional veggie gyro, and the fried zuchinni is...wow. Of course Ghengis Khan is a supreme veg hangout, offering a nice discount and a massive selection of veggies for customers who skip the meat. And of course there's Local Harvest (my new favorite store) offering fresh juices, awesome veggie sandwiches, and local, organic groceries.

Most of these places do at least serve or sell some meat, if not mostly meat (even Local Harvest, where you can get free range bison, ostrich, venison, etc), but in my experience it is absolutely no problem to live in this neighborhood and not eat meat. There are definitely plenty of options. Personally, I don't think places which ONLY serve meat or ONLY serve veg are necessary. Either way, seems to me you're only limiting your customer base.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: vegan/vegetarian (or veg-friendly) KC eateries????

Post by UMKCroo »

https://gratitudekc.com/GratitudeKC__CAFE.html

I feel like I saw this somewhere a few months ago, but couldn't find the thread.  Anyway, I came across an email from these people.  Looks like they are upping financing efforts, and have an informational meeting this Saturday the 30th. 
GO ROOs!!!!!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Wow. Talk about a blast from the past...
mean wrote: Great India has awesome veggie dishes
Gone!

mean wrote:Addis Ababa has killer Ethiopian food
Gone!
mean wrote:Cafe Rumi has some lovely salads and vegetarian appetizers (try the shanklish!)
Gone!
mean wrote:And of course there's Local Harvest (my new favorite store)
Gone!

Goes to show how much change happens in a small area in just a few years...
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mean wrote: Wow. Talk about a blast from the past...

Gone!

Gone!

Gone!

Gone!

Goes to show how much change happens in a small area in just a few years...
Didn't Addis Ababa just open by City Hall?
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

smh wrote: Didn't Addis Ababa just open by City Hall?
Yup, but I'd be surprised if they had night hours in this location. Not sure if they do or not.

Still like Blue Nile better anyway.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2011/03/ ... iopian.php

If they're going for a liquor license, that suggests they'll be open evenings, no?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Vegetarian restaurant and juice bar coming to old Good Chicken location on Broadway.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/05/30/50 ... juice.html
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCMax wrote:Vegetarian restaurant and juice bar coming to old Good Chicken location on Broadway.

Valentine/Uptown Theatre district is on a roll. Is really starting to turn into its own formidable nightlife district with all the changes lately, especially going for broader demographics.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I just don't understand how there can be so much development in that area the last few years (old Blockbuster building, Pho Tower building, Valentine apartments, Armour apartments, etc.) but absolutely nothing in the Broadway facing Uptown Theater spaces or Uptown Shoppes in the last decade. What are they waiting for?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote:Vegetarian restaurant and juice bar coming to old Good Chicken location on Broadway.

I give it four months. That space has a terrible history and then you throw on top of it the challenge of selling KC veg? Can't imagine any local bank was dumb enough to sign off on that so it is probably self financed as well.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:

I give it four months. That space has a terrible history and then you throw on top of it the challenge of selling KC veg? Can't imagine any local bank was dumb enough to sign off on that so it is probably self financed as well.
Challenge of selling KC veg? Eden Alley, FuD, and Cafe Grattitude don't seem to be having any challenges. The location may be an issue, but I think more of a unique, niche type of restaurant will have a greater chance of surviving in that spot than something more generic and ubiquitous. If the restaurant fails, I don't think it will be because it is vegetarian.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
LenexatoKCMO wrote:

Challenge of selling KC veg? Eden Alley, FuD, and Cafe Grattitude don't seem to be having any challenges. The location may be an issue, but I think more of a unique, niche type of restaurant will have a greater chance of surviving in that spot than something more generic and ubiquitous. If the restaurant fails, I don't think it will be because it is vegetarian.
RIP per Joyce. Heck they lasted a whole three months longer than I predicted.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

But the space is reopening as the same owners other concept "The Bite" So maybe he does see the potential in this area. I Pho Tower has been a huge success, the restaurants in that space usually only lasted 3 months. I like to peak in that place when driving around at night and i always see people in there.
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

"The Bite" sounds too violent for a vegetarian restaurant.