Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Google picks KCK/KCMO for ultra fast fiber network

Post by davidc »

Update: all 34 have now qualified.

I suspect that the vast majority of JoCo won't have any trouble meeting their goals. The possible exception would be the areas farther out - both in the next round "Johnson County" and then in "Overland Park".
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

earthling wrote:Is there a sense of 'rally the neighborhood' for Gfiber like there was in KCMO? Our building was initially very concerned about our fiberhood (Plaza Westport) not getting enough regs because the ones around us were qualified before we were - some were posting flyers in our fiberhood. Many were concerned about being left out, but it turned out to be registration issues for some large buildings at the time.

Is there that sense of concern of remaining fiberhoods not getting it in JoCo? I could see the light industrial areas maybe not getting enough regs.
Seriously, 'rally the neighborhood' for a consumer product is kind of pathetic if you ask me?
Google basically just got people to sign up by using some successful and unique marketing tactics that actually worked but the follow-through has been kind of piss poor and super super slow. If Walmart or Comcast offered offered 10gb internet for 40 bucks a month and did this same kind of marketing tactics that google has done, there would probably be some kind of backlash on why should this mega company is holding our neighborhood hostage in meeting these signup quotas.

Google, Just build the fiber out completely and get people to sign up later instead of half-assing it and try to make it seem important. They should have used the marketing campaign "If you build it, they will come" They could have use field of dreams commercials and the whole 9 yards
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

This is different as fiber is more than just a consumer product, it's essentially core city infrastructure and if the hoods around you get it and not yours, it could have impact to value of homes, etc. I was concerned about it when our hood was behind others, not because of missing on Gbit, but because it's future infrastructure we might have missed on.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

HBO Go and Max on demand are both now available to Google Fiber TV consumers who subscribe to HBO and/or Max.

From the e-mail:
Watch HBO and Cinemax on demand and on the go
hbo go screen
Jon Snow. John Oliver. Dr. Thackery. You can now catch up with your favorite HBO and Cinemax friends any time and anywhere. Google Fiber Gigabit + TV customers with HBO, Cinemax, or the Premium package can now watch on demand with HBO and Cinemax On Demand and stream away with HBO GO and MAX GO.

Free with your HBO subscription, HBO GO lets you stream every episode of every season of the best HBO shows right from your computer and select tablets, mobile devices, streaming players, smart TVs, and game consoles. With HBO On Demand you can
watch shows and movies anytime. It's the best of what's currently on HBO and more.

And free with your Cinemax subscription, MAX GO gives you access to hundreds of hit movies, and powerful original series available on your computer, Android smartphone, iPhone, or iPad. With Cinemax On Demand you can watch the biggest variety of hit movies anytime.

To get started, download HBO GO and MAX GO from Google Play or App Store or visit www.hbogo.com or www.maxgo.com. Select Google Fiber as your TV provider and log in with your username and password.

Head to the Google Fiber On Demand library for 150 hours of your favorite HBO and Cinemax programs.

Happy watching!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Post by davidc »

Interesting ... I'm sure some details of whatever the trouble was will leak before too long.

This will be an interesting test case a decade from now, to see how GF access impacts property values in an otherwise desirable area.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

earthling wrote:Leawood not getting GF...
http://www.kansascity.com/news/governme ... 77572.html
Being Leawood, my guess is they had all kinds of aesthetic requirements that Google didn't want to bother with.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

SWFan wrote:
Being Leawood, my guess is they had all kinds of aesthetic requirements that Google didn't want to bother with.
They're not fulfilling the aesthetic requirement inside KC.

I'm not expecting the city to push for fulfillment. Given how archaic most of the city code is what's ignoring one they just implemented a few years ago...
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I noticed a screen mirroring ability show up on the Apps page of Google Fiber, I guess it's beta for now and only for the Nexus 7 they give you with the complete package. Anxious to try that out tonight.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

A friend of mine just got GF (I'm not sure where he lives) but didn't get the Nexus 7 - said that was only a promotion during certain periods. Is he mistaken?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

kcjak wrote:A friend of mine just got GF (I'm not sure where he lives) but didn't get the Nexus 7 - said that was only a promotion during certain periods. Is he mistaken?
I think they did stop offering the free tablet w/TV service. I think only KCK and Central KCMO got the free tablet, not N/S KCMO or the burbs. Not sure though.
SWFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SWFan »

flyingember wrote:
SWFan wrote:
They're not fulfilling the aesthetic requirement inside KC.
The difference is KCMO and the other cities aren't busting GF's balls over various ordinances. My guess is Leawood probably gave them a long list of thou shalt not's with no ifs ands or buts and GF decided to skip them.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Over 600 apt/condo buildings have agreement with Google Fiber...

https://fiber.google.com/propertymanage ... partments/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

After Google pulls out of Leawood, AT&T proposes Gigapower. I think so far only OP and Leawood slated to get Gigapower in KC metro, and probably only newly developed areas or that already have fiber. ATT hasn't been retrofitting older hoods with fiber like Google does.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 40109.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:
kcjak wrote:A friend of mine just got GF (I'm not sure where he lives) but didn't get the Nexus 7 - said that was only a promotion during certain periods. Is he mistaken?
I think they did stop offering the free tablet w/TV service. I think only KCK and Central KCMO got the free tablet, not N/S KCMO or the burbs. Not sure though.

They killed it when they got their app to other devices. Or that's how google explained it
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Google pulled out of Leawood apparently because Leawood wanted 100% underground deployment...
http://www.lightreading.com/broadband/g ... R_EDT#msgs

AT&T probably won't be much better as they likely will only go in new developments or where there is already fiber.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I got my speed bumped

I have 30/5 right now. They said they bumped it from 60/5 to 90/5. Uh huh...

Time warner still doesn't get it, I want the upload speed to be faster
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Flyers going out for Business Class Service, $100/month...

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... rvice.html

If other markets with Gbit don't offer biz call service priced this low, it could be a boost for KC, attracting more small biz and startups.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Woah! That's super cheap. AT&T offers 100mbit for thousands per month

this price will keep google busy for years.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

That's typically for Enterprise class service ($1000s/month+ for 100Mbit), which allows running web servers with thousands of concurrent sessions, with high quality of service SLAs - intended for data centers. Most ISPs for small/medium biz (SMB) are about $200-$300 for 50-150Mbit. I image the terms for Gfiber SMB class will be similar to TimeWarner small biz class service, which is typically on residential lines rather than say MPLS. Now if Google offers a ToS with better terms than TWC and closer to Enterprise, it would be even a bigger deal.

SMB class Gbit for $100 is still huge for KC if other non-GF markets don't get this rate. This is what could have more economic impact for KC, moreso than residential Gbit. Depends on how other ISPs in other markets react.