OFFICIAL - Corrigan Building

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
smh
Supporter

Re: Corrigan Building

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote:I'm extremely impressed. that's not huge but it has character

they even put rails in the street which shows an attention to detail
Not super crazy about the curb cuts. BTW, anyone know where this presentation was given?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote:

Not super crazy about the curb cuts. BTW, anyone know where this presentation was given?
same number as existing, at least. and not a pair of them per street like some projects like
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i've heard the latest iteration is just curb cuts for a garage, not a drive thru.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There is simply too much going on....I can't keep track of it all...and it's awesome. Reminds me of around the time we started up kcskyscrapers.com to keep track of a bunch of projects going on downtown.....what was that 10-15 years ago? Great to see.
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

KCBJ providing more detail on the project...

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... l?page=all
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

There has been a lot of positive, forward moving news almost everyday in KCBJ, especially development and job related. KC doesn't have (and never had) the momentum of the hottest markets but is fun to much going on - but is constantly improving on its own pace and is noticeable. Also fun to read KCBJ lately instead of profiles of local biz people.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

So they're building a 360-space garage across Walnut, plus surface parking (on Main?), plus 32 covered spaces under the 3-story corner building?
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

Yeah, the covered parking plus garage seems more than adequate. Why you would use a surface lot as well doesn't make sense.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder if the news of heightened demand for office space downtown, and Copaken's involvement in this project, will motivate Copaken to build a new mixed use office tower on their site at 12th and Grand?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

ThorsteinVeblen wrote:Yeah, the covered parking plus garage seems more than adequate. Why you would use a surface lot as well doesn't make sense.
especially since they don't own any space to put a parking lot
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Yea me too. Extremely excited about this project. What really excites me about this too is that it looks like this will really happen. Just walked all around downtown tonight and saw a huge sign up on this block showing this future development. It's a cool sign too (18th and main parking lot). It's a 4 sided sign, and each side that you address it shows what the project will look like from that angle.

There may be too much parking in this development, but honestly, what project doesn't? They all have way too much. So I can't really fault them for that. At least it seems to all be in a garage with retail on the ground floor.

I like the look of the project too, as well as how they are tackling a couple key parking lots. Main street is really building up in this area, and it is going to look great. So many parking lots here right now, but with the apartment building next to the rieger and now this... some definite density being built, even though none of it is tall.

When I first looked at this rendering I thought the building on Main looked kind of like an old school train station, with the curb cut and all. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case, but it would have been cool if that's what it was, with offices or residence above.

On my walk around downtown tonight I walked a great deal of the streetcar line. In nice weather like this my thoughts are, "why take a bus or train, when you can walk the whole length in a pretty short amount of time?" Of course, it seems very few people are cool with walking those kinds of distances like myself, and the weather isn't always so nice. The key thing this walk reinforced to me though, was the true reason for building a streetcar line. The economic development. It's amazing how difficult it is for many people to understand that this line isn't primarily about moving people, and I suppose that doesn't really make a lot of sense initially. But when you are walking these streets, and seeing everything happen in great detail, you realize just how big of a difference this streetcar is making. And my god, it is not even finished yet! Imagine once it is done...

Anyone who is still against the streetcar is either ignorant of its benefits, or a complete dunce. It is radically changing the face of Main Street, and downtown as a whole. It's funny you mention the early days of Kcskyscrapers Powercat, because it is much like that. However I don't ever remember there being a time when there has been so much development occuring in every part of downtown. From top to bottom, it is being completely reimagined. Extremely exciting times for downtown Kansas City.

And the award for Morons of the Metro goes to: CERNER. Still baffled that they would not want to be a part of this revolution. It should have happened.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

kcjak wrote:So they're building a 360-space garage across Walnut, plus surface parking (on Main?), plus 32 covered spaces under the 3-story corner building?
No surface lot on Main. That's where the 3 story addition going. there will be parking for retail uses in and under bldg.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

flyingember wrote:
ThorsteinVeblen wrote:Yeah, the covered parking plus garage seems more than adequate. Why you would use a surface lot as well doesn't make sense.
especially since they don't own any space to put a parking lot
? huh??
mykn

Post by mykn »

Demosthenes wrote:

Yea me too. Extremely excited about this project. What really excites me about this too is that it looks like this will really happen. Just walked all around downtown tonight and saw a huge sign up on this block showing this future development. It's a cool sign too (18th and main parking lot). It's a 4 sided sign, and each side that you address it shows what the project will look like from that angle.

There may be too much parking in this development, but honestly, what project doesn't? They all have way too much. So I can't really fault them for that. At least it seems to all be in a garage with retail on the ground floor.

I like the look of the project too, as well as how they are tackling a couple key parking lots. Main street is really building up in this area, and it is going to look great. So many parking lots here right now, but with the apartment building next to the rieger and now this... some definite density being built, even though none of it is tall.

When I first looked at this rendering I thought the building on Main looked kind of like an old school train station, with the curb cut and all. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case, but it would have been cool if that's what it was, with offices or residence above.

On my walk around downtown tonight I walked a great deal of the streetcar line. In nice weather like this my thoughts are, "why take a bus or train, when you can walk the whole length in a pretty short amount of time?" Of course, it seems very few people are cool with walking those kinds of distances like myself, and the weather isn't always so nice. The key thing this walk reinforced to me though, was the true reason for building a streetcar line. The economic development. It's amazing how difficult it is for many people to understand that this line isn't primarily about moving people, and I suppose that doesn't really make a lot of sense initially. But when you are walking these streets, and seeing everything happen in great detail, you realize just how big of a difference this streetcar is making. And my god, it is not even finished yet! Imagine once it is done...

Anyone who is still against the streetcar is either ignorant of its benefits, or a complete dunce. It is radically changing the face of Main Street, and downtown as a whole. It's funny you mention the early days of Kcskyscrapers Powercat, because it is much like that. However I don't ever remember there being a time when there has been so much development occuring in every part of downtown. From top to bottom, it is being completely reimagined. Extremely exciting times for downtown Kansas City.

And the award for Morons of the Metro goes to: CERNER. Still baffled that they would not want to be a part of this revolution. It should have happened.

I can't wait to look at Google Streetview in, say, 2020 and compare it to the images from 2010. It will be so different.

All of this development is a perfect argument for the streetcar, and I think it will make it much easier to extend it when we try again. I've heard some people say that it's not the streetcar causing the recent development, but man, where's all the development happening south of Union Station? Pretty much everything happening is within or close to the TDD.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mykn wrote:I can't wait to look at Google Streetview in, say, 2020 and compare it to the images from 2010. It will be so different.
why wait? http://www.wired.com/2015/01/janet-dela ... of-market/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Seemed risky at first that Corrigan is renovating to office space given that Class A space is still above 20% downtown (or was in Q3, Q4 report coming soon). But the Class B space downtown has low enough vacancy and there seems to be a desire for buildings with character than utilitarian modern buildings, except those who want large floor plates. Corrigan has somewhat large floor plate and character of old building.

Q3 downtown vacancy, Q4 report should be coming soon...

Code: Select all

Class Bldgs   Sqft     Vacancy
A      24   7,946,447   22.1% 
B     167  14,821,944   13.4% 
C     105   4,315,460    8.4% 
TOTAL 296  27,083,851   15.2%
Downtown KC still has a massive amount of functional Class B space compared to most other cities, even when factoring many buildings have been converted to residential. Though Class C shrank quite a bit.

http://www.colliers.com/en-us/kansascity/insights
Last edited by earthling on Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

crossroads has no class A space. crossroads is the draw.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah, that too. Now that Google offers Gigabit to small/medium biz and Xroads is attracting startups, would be great to see this building become a tech incubator like LaunchKC, SparkLab and ThinkBig, or that they expand into it.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

BTW, Colliers says KC market came in Top 12 for vacancy improvement between Q2/Q3 2014. The Q4 report should come out soon...

See Page 5...
http://www.colliers.com/-/media/Files/M ... _Final.pdf

MARKET VACANCY-RATE-Q2-2014 VACANCY-RATE-Q3-2014 BASIS-POINT-CHANGE
Stockton, CA 15.66% 14.12% -155
Montréal, QC 8.68% 7.31% -137
New York, NY - Downtown
Manhattan 13.35% 12.20% -115
Greenville, SC 17.72% 16.68% -103
San Jose - Silicon Valley 10.70% 9.77% -94
Los Angeles, CA 17.97% 17.07% -90
Stamford, CT 20.97% 20.11% -86
San Francisco, CA 8.28% 7.46% -82
New York, NY - Midtown
Manhattan 11.39% 10.57% -82
Kansas City, MO 12.37% 11.60% -77
NORTH AMERICA 13.33% 13.11% -22

Also see Page 10 for downtown leasable space comparisons (though it looks like they are really urban core comparisons as Midtown/Plaza seems to be included)

Downtowns - Class ABC leasable space
MARKET TOTALSQFT VACANCY
Chicago, IL...........15.8M 12.08%
Cincinnati, OH......18.7M 15.39%
Cleveland, OH .....32.5M 17.21%
Columbus, OH .....19.5M 9.51%
Detroit, MI............26.4M 17.00%
GrandRapids, MI...5.3M 15.64%
Indianapolis, IN... 22.5M 9.62%
KansasCity, MO...34.4M 13.40%
Milwaukee, WI ....18.7M 12.54%
Minneapolis, MN..31.5M 12.34%
Omaha, NE.............6.5M 6.93%
St.Louis, MO........23.3M 19.49%
St.Paul, MN.........11.7M 13.51%
Midwest Total...408.7M 13.28%

Downtown KC has a lot more leasable space primarily because it has a great deal of functional Class B space.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Looks like PZE is going to listen to an ordinance this week that would make a public-private parking arrangement for a newly constructed 350 space parking garage on walnut associated with this project. The deal shows the city paying the owners $250k annually to keep the garage open to the public at a "discounted rate".

What is the before and after math on parking availability surrounding streetcar construction?

Additions: Helzberg Garage (100-200); Corrigan Garage (350), Assurant Parking lot (150?); Star Parking lot (200?)

Subtractions: 5 (so far) surface parkings lots with maybe 300-400 spaces?

I think another headline for streetcar could be: "Surface lots disappear; Parking spaces available double."