Bridger's Bottle Shop & Preservation Market

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Bridger's Bottle Shop & Preservation Market

Post by Demosthenes »

Okay so I went ahead and tried out the new place that took over the America's Pub space. I suggest everyone do the same...

The food that is being served here is absolutely sensational. For those of you that do not know, this is another Alex Pope (Local Pig) establishment. He is not the owner of the restaurant, but is in charge of the food. When you walk into the restaurant you pick up an order form from off the wall and mark what food you want. Then you walk over to the coolers and pick what beer you want. Then you go to the register and pay. The food runner brings you your food once it is ready.

For lunch you get to choose between either a salad or sandwich. These sandwiches are truly gourmet. I tried the lamb meatball sandwich, and I have no problem saying that it was one of the most spectacular sandwiches I've ever had. Soooo goooood! Everything about it. The lamb is really good, tasty meat. Of course this should be no surprise with Alex behind it. The bread is great too, and honestly the most surprising part of it was the orange preserves. It added a fresh, crisp citrus flavor to the sandwich and really put it over the top. All sandwiches come with either a barley salad, cornbread, or chips. I don't think there is any reason to get anything other than the barley salad. It is delicious!

I haven't tried the food in the evenings or at night yet. Supposedly they switch to more of a small plate and appetizer menu. I am sure it is very good too, though I am definitely in love with their sandwiches. This is a great lunch time spot.

Oh yeah, and I guess I'm forgetting something. Yes, the beer! Oh they just have over 600 different beers by the bottle and a few on draft. Also, you can choose to pick out a six pack to go if you would like, mixing up any combo of beers they have. A really cool part of this is that the prices per beer supposedly decrease a good deal if you decide to take them to go.

This is a splendid addition to Westport, especially since it has taken the place of America's Pub. I spoke to one of the owners over a beer about a year ago, and he really had some good ideas. Everything he was talking about has come to life, so that's good news for the rest of their plan. The next thing they plan on doing in this space is a new take (at least to Kansas City) on karaoke. This karaoke would have people singing in little rooms by themselves and everyone else can see on tv (I think). This style of karaoke is supposedly popular in Asia. I have been told that this business will be up and running by the end of summer.

So go try out Bridger's Bottle Shop & the amazing Preservation Market ASAP. It's totally worth it, and just another great reason to spend time in Westport!
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Bridger's Bottle Shop & Preservation Market

Post by rxlexi »

I checked Bridger's out last weekend and agree that it is an awesome spot. Didn't try the food at Preservation Market so can't comment there, but the atmosphere, beer selection and for here/to go nature of the beer sales are all spot on. It's a little plain inside but has great, friendly staff, a huge beer cooler and a few nice details.

The place is very much like Bier Station in Waldo, with a little more flair and certainly more focus on the food with Pope involved.

A great addition to Westport, and I imagine the karoake lounge will be as well.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Thanks for the review! I am going to try and catch this place while in town!
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Just thought I'd mention that I tried this place out tonight. Somewhat disappointing, though pleasantly surprised at a few things which I wasn't expecting. The setting is impressive, though it lacks a few finishes. Nothing major, and a great setting none-the-less. The solid wood tables are a plus, as is the personal service (Greeted at the door, guided along nicely, not pressing..I like all those things!) The food is a bit over the top and you weren't joking in the original review in that it's extremely gourmet. I feel as though most their sandwiches would be a bit better dressed down, or eaten on the lighter side. It's a bit too much for hungry food..when you just want to pound a good burger or two, so don't go in expecting to pound it down! The bread was amazing. I prefer regular sandwich breads over craft breads most times, but their breads left me super impressed. Perfect mix of crust, fluff, and moisture! The cornbread was a bit bland, but soft. The potato chips were easily some of the best ones I've had in awhile, and I'd give them a 10/10. Must try if you haven't already! The beer selection was nice, though lacking in areas. Not many German beers, and kinda a hodgepodge mixture at that. Tons of Belgians, but that's just a little too scene if you ask me. I like the fact that they have them all in bottles, cool concept, and they offer a "Make your own 6 pack" which is another decent concept. Beats trying to find all those beers at other places around the metro when you only want to try one or two. Price of the food was ok, good considering it's gourmet and more upscale. The price of the beer left me wondering. A little all over the place. Paulaner Hefe was $7 I think, could be wrong, but if I'm right that seems pretty high. Most beers seemed to be $3-6 a bottle, which is OK I guess for being in a "Restaurant". Outside of that it's a ripoff. But it's whatever..you're not bringing along your own case of beer for a reason when dining out. I asked someone working about their lack of Crystal Weizens and exotic blends (Banana beers, klams, etc) and they said that they're probably going to be expanding the selection some into lighter beers and more exotics, so that's exciting. Anyways, that's all I have to write now. I'd give them a solid 7/10. Not someplace I'd go to really get full, but for a snack and a good bit of relaxation. Zesty, light, sweet. Three words to describe the place! I feel like a little bit of Bridger's goes a long way!

I would like to try the Lamb Meatball sandwich before I leave town though, so I'll probably be back much sooner than normal!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Local Pig officially replaces Bridger's Bottle Shop today
The new sign is up, and today the Local Pig butcher shop has bacon, chops and beef for its retail customers at 510 Westport Road. Bridger's Bottle Shop and its order-at-the-counter sandwich shop, Preservation Market, are officially history.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Wonder if this will be successful, i just don't see it really being a success mainly because i hate that location. Something like this needs to be in more of a neighborhood setting, like replacing this with that market at 39th and state line would be perfect,
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I did like Bridger's but wondered if they could survive as it was clear those sammy/sides were made with very high overhead. Great for qualify of food but often can't sustain running a business like that. Guess they couldn't find the right balance.

I too wonder if Local Pig can survive as a neighborhood meat market in center of Westport. Maybe further E or W on Westport Rd if not w39th.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Not sure how Bridger's fizzled so fast? I only managed to make it in twice, for beers, not food, but it seemed like it basically replicated the concept of Bier Station (Waldo) in a more lively (i.e. better) location. Bottles were a bit pricey but not awful for the selection and the middle Westport. Parking across the street. What gives?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Anything really changing other than the name, and expanding to carry some meats?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

rxlexi wrote:Not sure how Bridger's fizzled so fast? I only managed to make it in twice, for beers, not food, but it seemed like it basically replicated the concept of Bier Station (Waldo) in a more lively (i.e. better) location. Bottles were a bit pricey but not awful for the selection and the middle Westport. Parking across the street. What gives?
Agreed, I don't understand. I've been several times and always really enjoyed it. I also enjoyed that it wasn't full service and thus felt a bit more casual. I'm sure it will continue to be great though under the new strategy.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sconniecooks
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by sconniecooks »

So, it will be a fully-functioning butcher shop. Right now the cases are full and we have about 80% of the selections we carry at Local Pig in the East Bottoms. That should increase to 90% in the next few weeks. Over the next few days the menu will expand beyond the sandwiches only. We'll have 8-10 composed charcuterie dishes, appetizers, salads, entrees, burgers and sandwiches.

We've got a great bar manager on staff that is making some very interesting and delicious cocktails -- some are creative takes on classics -- my favorites however are the adventurous ones with ingredients like butternut squash, kettle corn infused bourbon, parsnip juice and beet pickle brine.

We'll still have lots of beer, 200-250 labels, a 30 label wine list and a happy hour from 3 - 6.

Cheers. Alex Pope.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

awesome. can't wait to check it out.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

sconniecooks wrote:So, it will be a fully-functioning butcher shop. Right now the cases are full and we have about 80% of the selections we carry at Local Pig in the East Bottoms. That should increase to 90% in the next few weeks. Over the next few days the menu will expand beyond the sandwiches only. We'll have 8-10 composed charcuterie dishes, appetizers, salads, entrees, burgers and sandwiches.

We've got a great bar manager on staff that is making some very interesting and delicious cocktails -- some are creative takes on classics -- my favorites however are the adventurous ones with ingredients like butternut squash, kettle corn infused bourbon, parsnip juice and beet pickle brine.

We'll still have lots of beer, 200-250 labels, a 30 label wine list and a happy hour from 3 - 6.

Cheers. Alex Pope.
This is great news. Enjoyed BBS&PM, but this has me more excited.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Sounds quite good, looking forward to checking out it.
ChandraNH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChandraNH »

Had an early dinner here tonight. Food was very good

Great happy hour deals (charcuterie for $4, salads/apps for $5, American beer cans for $3).

We started with the ham artichoke dip (I think it was ham, the boy says it was), which was ooey gooey cheesy goodness. We weren't crazy about the bread choices with it, foccacia and untoasted italian rounds, would prefer something crispier, though we finished off the dip with our spoons.

We also had the smoked pork heart charcuterie with pickled serrano peppers, caramelized fennel and mustard. This was really wonderful and we both said we could eat the smoked pork heart on a sandwich. You get quite a bit for the price as well and the peppers are fantastic.

The boy ordered the italian beef sanwich with beef, pepperoni, giardiniera on crusty bread and a side of chips. It was really good as well.

I ordered the lamb burger special with feta cheese and pickles. The burger was also really good, though it was juicier than I like my meat (not oily, but cooked the way lamb should be, which I thought about only after it arrived, I generally like my meat charred, but I plowed through it and it was wonderfully seasoned with plenty of feta on top. The boy thought it was fantastic as well).

With a tea and water our tab came to 37.10 and was really filling, in fact the boy just remarked that he can't believe he's still stuffed after eating apps and a sandwich. We'll be back for sure.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I'll second the Italian Beef. We had no apps and I could barely finish. House made chips were perfect. Had a mysterious brown ale on a grey wet day.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Had the jerk chicken sandwich with barley couscous salad a couple of weeks ago. Delicious. I need to go back during non-work hours for a beer.
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

ChandraNH wrote:Great happy hour deals (charcuterie for $4, salads/apps for $5, American beer cans for $3).
Agreed on what a great deal happy hour is. I had a high-class Harry & David plate (summer sausage, cheese, excellent mustard) and a wonderful smoked old-fashioned for $10. Looking forward to working my way through the rest of the menu.